SSI Encoder Clock Rate

chawalang

I have been doing some research to try and answer a question. In regard to single or multi turn encoders there is a question I have. I know that SSI (Synchronous Serial Interface) communicates over a serial interface as oppose to a parallel one. What I would like some elaboration on is how does this relate to the clock rate? How is this an advantage over something going through a parallel interface? I have been researching stuff online and I am still not finding the reason for the advantage in regard to the clock. I am assuming that it has to do with the one being able to handle a higher clock rate per cycle?

Please let me know, any info would be great!

It sounds like what you really need to research is data communication protocols, and not encoders... Learning the difference between serial communication protocols and parallel communication protocols.
Check out:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Communication_Networks/Parallel_vs_Serial
https://www.howtogeek.com/171947/wh...ssion-faster-than-parallel-data-transmission/

In both cases the clock is essentially defining how data blocks are transmitted, received and parsed. The clock is a fixed timing signal that gives the host and client devices a reference for the messages being transmitted.

It should be noted that while SSI encoders are very robust, historically they were not so great if you needed high precision at high RPM. This was because they just couldn't get the data to the host fast enough. This is why, even today, you still see motor manufacturers using incremental, EnDat, or even resolvers as the primary encoders on their motors. It isn't even so much a function of the interface because EnDat is also a serial interface, it is a function of the actual data transmission protocol and language.

As you have posted a couple questions regarding encoders, it would be great to know if you are just looking for general knowledge or if there is some end-goal you are aiming for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back