Stage Monitors

I am currently looking at replacing my current unpowered stage monitors. Currently I have 2 10" Kustoms, 2 12" Kustoms, and 2 12" Slant top Carvins. I was wanting some opinions on new replacements for these, preferably all the same size and preferably cheap. I would also like to stay with unpowered. Any suggestions?

Can you provide some more information like model numbers for the existing monitors, how you intend to use them, what you plan to power them with, any performance or other specific criteria and at least some idea of budget? By the comment "all the same size" are you wanting the new monitors to be the same approximate size and mix as you currently have or did you mean that you want six of the same monitors?

Looking at what seem to be comparable as far as current models of what you say that you already have then it looks like around $70 each for the 10" Kustoms, $120 each for the 12" Kustoms and maybe $200-$250 each for the Carvin's. So maybe $800-$900 for 6 monitors or about $133 to $150 a piece, which would pretty much keep you in the Kustom, Nady, Galaxy Audio and low end Behringer range.

I am currently looking at replacing my current unpowered stage monitors. Currently I have 2 10" Kustoms, 2 12" Kustoms, and 2 12" Slant top Carvins. I was wanting some opinions on new replacements for these, preferably all the same size and preferably cheap. I would also like to stay with unpowered. Any suggestions?

If you're staying passive, what amplifiers are you currently using? Are you planing on upgrading those as well?

I suggest going for active monitors, which can be found with a relatively low price tag. Take a look at the QSC K Series, or for just a bit more, the HPR series. K10's would probably work well for you.

I don't disagree with the K10 recommendation but a single QSC K10 would cost almost as much as direct replacements for all six of their existing monitors and if this is an installed system might also incur some additional costs for any rewiring required to address the change from speaker level to line level signals running to the monitors. That's why it is important to have some idea of the budget and expectations.

Again, can you me specific about your application? What you are looking to with these? What are the amps you are using, and are you using them in bridge or stereo mode?

QSC is a good brand to look at. They make a solid, good sounding cabinet. And the K series can accept line or mic level signal, FYI.

For your price range, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head I can recommend would be the Yamaha BR series. I think the 10" goes for about $200.

It might be worth looking around on the used market and seeing if you can't find something a little nicer in your price range. I've heard some decent boxes from EV lately but don't remember the models off the top of my head.

I've got four EV ZX1's which I love. Cost about $300 each which isn't too bad. Great sound, small, lightweight, and you can do anything with them. Hang them on a batten, mount them on a pole, stand the up or lay them like a wedge. We use them for everything: surround speakers, stage monitors, carefully located special effects, even mains for spoken word events.

Maybe it's just me but "I was wanting some opinions on new replacements for these, preferably all the same size and preferably cheap." seems to suggest that they are looking for direct replacements. I'm sure that improved performance and sound quality would be appreciated but "replacements" and "cheap" just don't seem to suggest options that would be two to five times the cost of direct replacements would cost. This seems a bit pointless until we can verify what is wanted as far as budget, compatibility with existing amplifiers and cabling, size, application and so on.

There you go reading the "original post" and trying to make sure we "answer the question". I suppose you are the kind of guy who follows the directions and reads the operating manual too. ;)

So back to the original poster... What's your budget and how many units do you want to get for that amount?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back