The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Stage Surface Questions

Discussion in 'Stage Management and Facility Operations' started by JHAYTER, Jul 19, 2018.

1. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member

Theatre Consultant
    When I worked on Willow Creek, the 1/4" mdf was their choice because they could always get it at the 24 hour Home Depot. It can buckle just like hardboard. Nothing cheap and easy to get won't. I specify plyron because it won't buckle and requires very few fasteners. 24" on centers but thinking of trying 24*32 next project.

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. Moonthink

Moonthink Member

I like 24", gives a quick point of reference for rough layout. The Plyron seems like it would be good for certain spaces, but the thickness would be problematic for our space. Our floor gets painted a lot, and a good amount of abuse, so ideally something relatively cheap and readily available is what we need. Then we just flip or replace when a piece gets too bad.

3. JHAYTER

JHAYTER Member

Thanks Allana for all your detailed notes!

Happy to report that our Stagelam install started this week. Demo of the maso went fairly smooth, and thankfully our sub-floor was still in great shape which is making the install nice and fast.

Stagelam was delivered on time and packaged nicely on 4x8 skids piled 30 sheets high. The sheets came stacked with cardboard between them to prevent damage during shipping. So far all the sheets seem to be nice and square and they did a nice job on the countersinking and pre-drilling.

First impression is that this stuff is going to look really great, and will be a lot less work to maintain. I can see what some people are saying about the colour, it can look a bit patchy, but seems to depend on what angle you look at it. Doesn't feel slippery to me at all, and we have some wet boots on it right now because of some rain.

I'll post some more pics when its all finished up! Excited to see the finished product! IMG_5293[1].JPG IMG_5309[1].JPG IMG_5312[1].JPG

4. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member

Theatre Consultant
    interesting to see the long dimension up and down stage. I've never done it that way.