Strand CD 80 Power Supply

Murphy913

I have recently tried setting up a light grid with the CD 80 rack I have available. I noticed that one of the lights on power supply 3 was not on, lending me to think that the power supply card is broken. This, from my understanding, should only keep the dimmers on phase C from working. (Power supply 1 controls phase A and power supply 2 controls phase B.) All of my lights are in phases A and B.

Could the broken power supply in cause the whole unit to malfunction?

Note: I can turn on the lights by using a hot patch but not the board. Is this related or a completely separate problem? The attachment shows the layout of the phases and power supplies.
rampcardcd80.gif

Knowing nothing about your rack, the missing phase could also be the power source for something else needed for the whole rack to function. I lost a phase on an old rack that happened to also power some electronics that were necessary for the whole rack. Hence, the whole rack was down. Can you swap your power supplies to see if the condition changes?

A more basic troubleshooting question is if you even have power coming to the rack on all three legs. Breakers don't always seat properly, and a blown main fuse can easily drop a leg.

Make sure you have the main disconnect off before trying to swap cards around, there's up to 800 amps of three phase power in there, running through exposed buss bars inside the cabinet. If you don't know what you're doing, you could wind up very, very dead.

If you're at all in doubt, wait until an electrician or trained technician can come help you out.

If you're able to call up lights via test buttons on the 'missing' phase, then it obviously does have power to it. 12 ramp cards? Sounds like a CD-80 AE rack that's still on AMX... Might also be a problem with a protocol converter.

Last edited:
A more basic troubleshooting question is if you even have power coming to the rack on all three legs. Breakers don't always seat properly, and a blown main fuse can easily drop a leg.

Make sure you have the main disconnect off before trying to swap cards around, there's up to 800 amps of three phase power in there, running through exposed buss bars inside the cabinet. If you don't know what you're doing, you could wind up very, very dead.

If you're at all in doubt, wait until an electrician or trained technician can come help you out.

If you're able to call up lights via test buttons on the 'missing' phase, then it obviously does have power to it. 12 ramp cards? Sounds like a CD-80 AE rack that's still on AMX... Might also be a problem with a protocol converter.

I am almost postivie it is a CD-80 AE and we do run it on AMX. I am still waiting for the opportunity to kill the power to the rack. I want to try switching the broken card with a known working one. But what you were saying earlier is that it might just be a blown fuse instead of a broken power supply?

What confuses me is that I can bring up the lights with a hot patch but not a normal dimmer...

That sounds like board to dimmer problem. Can you swap signal from one dimmer to the other. I have never used the CD-80s so I don't know the answer, but if you can pull them up at the dimmer then it sounds signal oriented.

I had this exact problem. It was the power supply card. I have some spare AMX only cards lying around from converting my system to DMX. They're useless to me and just collecting dust. PM me and I'll send you a known working card for cost of shipping, so about 5 bucks.

what you were saying earlier is that it might just be a blown fuse instead of a broken power supply?

What confuses me is that I can bring up the lights with a hot patch but not a normal dimmer...

If you can bring up a light on any of the three phases with a hot patch or test button, you have power to all three legs. If 1/3 of your lights won't come one via test, and all the missing lights are on one phase, then that phase likely doesn't have any power coming to it. Causes for this can include a blown main fuse at the big knife switch that turns the entire rack on and off, or, if it's a big breaker, something broken inside the breaker, or even something wrong outside the theater entirely (not likely, but possible).

If you can gets lights on via test from all three phases, then the power is fine (or at least is present). If all the lights work on test, but none of them work from the console, then you have a console problem or a DMX to AMX conversion problem (assuming the console is not the original AMX one). If 2/3 of the lights work from the console, then we're back to where you started, suspecting one of the three ramp cards (firing cards, trigger cards... a few different names for the same square in the flow chart).

There should be three ramp cards to the right in the card tray, and the 12 control cards to the left. You shouldn't need to disturb the control cards.

If I'm remembering right, there should be a small glass fuse between the main power bus bars (big copper bars in the back of the rack) and the circuit card, if that fuse is popped it would stop the card from working (fuse might be on the card itself, it's been a while since I looked closely at an AMX card). If the fuse is good, and the missing phase follows the card around when you move it from slot to slot, then it's definitely a bad card.

You might want to suggest to your local powers-that-be that they should start saving up about $10,000 to have the rack rebrained with a new processor, they've been lucky that the AMX cards have lasted this long. The rate of failure is only going to increase.

An update on the system. I replaced a few power supplies and ramp cards and now every dimmer channel works! We did, however, find a new problem. There are two racks, Rack 1: 1-96, and Rack 2: 97-144. Unfortunately, rack 2 starts over at 1 so I have two "1" channels in the system and cannot run them separately, not the best thing when you are trying to design a show.

Any ideas?

An update on the system. I replaced a few power supplies and ramp cards and now every dimmer channel works! We did, however, find a new problem. There are two racks, Rack 1: 1-96, and Rack 2: 97-144. Unfortunately, rack 2 starts over at 1 so I have two "1" channels in the system and cannot run them separately, not the best thing when you are trying to design a show.

Any ideas?

Readdress the rack... Or...
Second Universe?

The AMX controllers should still be selectable on a rack-by-rack basis... (First, second, third, etc) It's possible these have just been acidentally bumped.

...There are two racks, Rack 1: 1-96, and Rack 2: 97-144. Unfortunately, rack 2 starts over at 1 so I have two "1" channels in the system and cannot run them separately, not the best thing when you are trying to design a show. ...
I've never understood why (as AMX192 allows 192 dimmers on two twisted pair), but I've seen many CD80 installations done this way. If it's not possible to rewire and readdress the racks, you may have to use two DMX-AMX converters and two universes out of your console.

(EDIT: Are Murphy913 and FatherMurphy related, or is this just an odd and confusing coincidence?)

Last edited:
I've never understood why (as AMX192 allows 192 dimmers on two twisted pair), but I've seen many CD80 installations done this way. If it's not possible to rewire and readdress the racks, you may have to use two DMX-AMX converters and two universes out of your console.

(EDIT: Are Murphy913 and FatherMurphy related, or is this just an odd and confusing coincidence?)

Odd and confusing coincidence...

Also, inside each rack is a switch to set the rack as either A or B so I have 1-96 set to A and 97-144 set as B but with no effect.

Odd and confusing coincidence...

Also, inside each rack is a switch to set the rack as either A or B so I have 1-96 set to A and 97-144 set as B but with no effect.

Are they connected pass-through style? Or via wye's? This shouldn't have any bearing, mind you, I'm just curious.
Speaking of curiosity... What happens if you set Rack 1 to B and Rack 2 to A?

Are they connected pass-through style? Or via wye's? This shouldn't have any bearing, mind you, I'm just curious.
Speaking of curiosity... What happens if you set Rack 1 to B and Rack 2 to A?

I have not tried setting 1 to B, might have to give it a shot...

I am afraid I do not know who they are connected... Could you possibly explain what you mean and maybe I could understand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back