Strand ML250

Edrick

Premium Member
What are your guys thoughts? I'm thinking about demoing one for an upcoming production of The Oz at a highschool I work with, but want to demo it as I'd like to purchase one for my inventory. For the Oz I'll be looking to get some moving lights to try out with it. I'll primarily use it for conventional lighting at first myself but want the ability to do moving lights in the future.

I think it has great potential but is not yet ready for my clients. Software improvements could remove all my complaints. Definitely get a demo before buying.

- All the handles are submasters only. - Levels must be set via other subs or keyboard: channel at full or type in a number. No wheel or mouse/pad or even +/- keys. This is big one for new users.
- Current library of fixtures is very limited - I didn't demo the profile creator.
- I had screen issues that might have been due to the beat-up old shop monitor I used.
- Patching fixtures other than dimmers is awkward, but a HS might not repatch much.

It is listed at a GREAT price! There just aren't a lot of boards under $3K that can handle a mover/LED.

Not having dedicated channel faders may be a little odd coming from a conventional board, but I am pretty used to typing Chan 1-4@ 100, store (press fader). Its going to be a change if you are used to an express 48/96. However, each of those "submasters" can be a cues stack, and they are editable. Unlike stacks on low-end Zero88 desks, that have "steps" instead of cues, where you have to delete the whole thing if you no-longer want step 5. Or Lepercons where they are chases, and not to mention the Express where you only get one cue stack. So already from a conventional standpoint, It has strong features.

The software is not great, I think it is an off the shelf product from china. There are some odd layout things. eg. When scrolling with an encoder, clicking the encoder dose nothing, another button makes the selection. There is also no internal memory, you must use a flash drive for fixture library and show files.(I would get one of those tiny low-profile ones and leave it in the desk, plus a backup) Scrolling through lots of fixture profiles is slow, so put only the ones you need in one folder. However there is no boot time, it is instant ON

- For Fixtures, you are limited to 30. This seems like very few for LED, but realistically I would not want to be running more than about a dozen moving light on this type of board.
- Conventional channels are limited to 250, plenty for its intended use.
- The fixture editor runs on windows, and is very simple to use. You can download it from Strands website. The only odd thing was that the profiles I created ended up at the very bottom of the list on the console, rather than being in alphabetical order.
- Dimmers are patched 1-1 by default, bringing up dimmer values via the keypad is very quick, patching fixtures is two part, requiring you to first assign fixtures to buttons, then use the patch menu to actually patch the address.
- I had no issues with the monitor, though it looks like a several generation old Strand desk, not really a surprise

Bottom line is that I don't think there is any other actual console that can touch it for the price. If you are going to be doing smaller shows with a bunch of conventionals, a handful of LEDs and occasionally a few moving lights, I think it is a fine choice. To replace an aging Express or Lepercon , I think It would do a nice job and it adds more flexibility, even with less handles.

If the Strand listens to its customers, and comes out with some software updates, this console could go from an okay console to a really solid performer, but even now what you get is WELL worth the price.

Most Leprecon consoles have traditional cue stacks, even the LP612. Additionally, the LPC48 and LPC96 seem to have been designed as Express replacements. I can remember at the LDI after the announcement that the Express was being discontinued, people at the Leprecon booth were soliciting comments about what operational features of the Express were important. In my view the LPC series is as close to the Express as anything in production today. That said, they're not inexpensive, but seeing what used Express consoles are selling for on Ebay, are not unreasonable. For a situation requiring a new "conventional" console (depending on your age) to control conventionals plus a few LED's/ML's, they are a great solution. Not affiliated with Leprecon.

Yes the 612, 624, and 1636 do have a single cue stack as well as chase capabilities, however the the strand offers more flexibility at a lower price. The LPC series is fairly usable(I would say the LPC and Strand have a similar user experience) and offers support of LEDs and moving lights, but again even the onPC LPC wing costs more than the Strand. You can download the LPC software and try it on your PC to give it a try.

Certainly not disagreeing at all with the "value" part of it, just saying there are some other choices in conventional consoles if one is looking for an Express-type experience, especially if you want a lot of physical faders (on the LPC non-wing versions). The relative speed that Strand and Leprecon update their software would also be a consideration. I would imagine Leprecon would have the edge in product support.

Certainly not disagreeing at all with the "value" part of it, just saying there are some other choices in conventional consoles if one is looking for an Express-type experience, especially if you want a lot of physical faders (on the LPC non-wing versions). The relative speed that Strand and Leprecon update their software would also be a consideration. I would imagine Leprecon would have the edge in product support.

I agree, the real LPC consoles are much more refined and well rounded, and after looking at the software again, I do like the LPC a bit better, but what is with the tiny encoders?. After playing with the Strand a bit, I came to the conclusion that it offers good bang-for-the buck, but I still really would not like using one regularly. It would be passable in its current form if money is tight, but it would not be my first choice if I had a large budget.

Quite frankly, the ML250 is mostly functional, but i'm not a big fan of it yet.

Its worth also looking at the lower ETC consoles such as Element or Ion. Its really worth spending the extra money. Element is theoretically used for generic but the EOS software allows you to handle moving lights easily , especially if you can afford a touch screen. If not the strand 250 would do it. It seems very cheap for a console that will run movers and led's but its worth a try. Also if your working with Led's I presume you need a good choice of colour. Avolites and Jands are good for this although not as good for cues.

I havent personally used a strand ML250 but seen them being used. Good luck!

I'm liking the price point of the 250. Messed around with it a bit at LDI so I think in April when I give it a spin I'll really know. But overall people seem to like it and it can't be beat for it's price. I'm just looking for something to start out and that way I have a desk in my inventory.

Is it going to be your desk? Or the venues? Because you will get more knowledge if you get more of a software based console as thats the future in lighting design?

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

What version of the Element? The ML250 is 2k list and the cheapest Element I can find is just over 4k list

Looks like they came out with version 1.1 last month for the ML250 wonder what the features were I'm going to take a look.

Looks like they came out with version 1.1 last month for the ML250 wonder what the features were I'm going to take a look.
I agree, you cannot beat it for the price at all! But I would stick with ETC because of their customer support. The software for the Strand ML250 is written in China. We have had a lot of problems with the software and the support team has been pretty well but I little slow in solving an issue. In the middle of a production I fired a cue and the ML250 reset and all my lights went out. I haven't been able to re create it since but it just does not seam like a very reliable console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back