Conventional Fixtures Strong Trouper Followspot

Let us know how they work! In the "old days" a batch of "good" carbons was worth it's weight in gold. Union Carbide used to be the standard. These days, with so little competition, I wonder what the quality control is like.

Poor carbons may sputter a lot, or burn unevenly. Although cupping may be caused by carbon alignment, I can remember a few boxes that were good for an "operator stress test!"

Sputter can also be caused by old carbons which may have absorbed moisture.

... Sputter can also be caused by old carbons which may have absorbed moisture.
When humidity was high, we used to put the new set of rods in the bottom of the tray so they'd dry out while the previously set was in use. I remember doing this with Troupers, not so much with Super Troupers. It was never a problem here in Las Vegas.

Yep! Nothing like cooking the food for the beast in it's own stomach! (Did the same, the NJ shore was humid.) Harder to re-trim with hot rods, but the show we did all summer had the time built into it. Use to store the stash under the base, where the transformer kept things warm and dry. (Just make sure there is still airflow.)

I had the pleasure of operating this fine piece of equipment in the summer of 2006. (Seriously.)

The Strong Trouper comes out of storage once a year at the ETC summer picnic. It takes a forklift from the factory to get it onto scaffolding. After a quick lesson from Fred, a new employee gets trial-by-fire to keep the show running. I still don't know where he gets the rods from. Maybe there's a pallet of carbon next to the pallet of floppy disks in the warehouse...

... It takes a forklift from the factory to get it onto scaffolding. ...
Silly boy. This is the only way to do it:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

20100807_5F00_1168.JPG
ETC picnic, 2010.

(BTW, it's a Super Trouper, not a Trouper.)

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 3667

Love the Stove Pipe! Must be one of dem coal burnin' models...

Not sure why the forklift. Four of us used to just grab them and run with them. Not that bad as long as you don't try to move them with the base on. Four bolts, couple of connectors and you're ready to go. Never road a crane but it's a must on high scaffold. Was always a drag waiting around at the end of a gig for the crane.

Nice to see one of the beasts still used every now and then!

So I hate to bring this up in a nostalgic thread, anyone having issues with the new super trooper parts in the older style bodies? Nothing seems to fit quite right even though Strong says they are identical. Even their brand new spots, Iris's ghost, shutters don't close very well. Gel frames stick. These are literally 5 months old and are already having these issues.

So I hate to bring this up in a nostalgic thread, anyone having issues with the new super trooper parts in the older style bodies? Nothing seems to fit quite right even though Strong says they are identical. Even their brand new spots, Iris's ghost, shutters don't close very well. Gel frames stick. These are literally 5 months old and are already having these issues.
Hate to moan and groan, but once "Strong" was an strong independent company, now they're a division of a division of another company. This fits under the category of "they don't build them like they used to." It's a trickle-down effect that works it's way all the way down to the shops making parts. Modern world has given us some great advances, but the price has been in pride of workmanship. (Sounding like my grandfather.)
/rant

Actually, I just put in a few "new" supertroopers in a venue a few years ago, and they are exactly like the models I have from the 80's. Although in modern spots they don't seem to care about tightening bolts, using lock washers, or any sort of quality control in general.

Out of the box, I had an iris handle that was laying next to the spot, and the nut was rolling around inside the unit. the dimmer also was completely loose on 2 units and would not stay anywhere between open and closed.

The first thing I had to do with brand new spots, was fix every movable part! If you are in the market, I would look at Lycian before strong. Strong has tried to milk its products too long, and there are now much better alternatives.

Nope, Trouper, Carbon Arc. See the little handle on the lower right side of the back there? Big crank moves the carbons together to strike an arc. little ring moves the arc back and forth to get it into the focal point of the lens.

Nope, Trouper, Carbon Arc. See the little handle on the lower right side of the back there? Big crank moves the carbons together to strike an arc. little ring moves the arc back and forth to get it into the focal point of the lens.

mmm… i'm referring to the trouper 575, and here is another link to some better photos: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201653153060?item=201653153060&rmvSB=true

on the 575, i don't see any access to the initerior. sure it isn't an arc (or whatever) lamp? the original trouperettes were not arc lamps, at least none that i operated.

mmm… i'm referring to the trouper 575, and here is another link to some better photos: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201653153060?item=201653153060&rmvSB=true

on the 575, i don't see any access to the initerior. sure it isn't an arc (or whatever) lamp? the original trouperettes were not arc lamps, at least none that i operated.
That is an HMI lamp. (Hours meter on side.) Looks like a real good price.
BEWARE: I don't see the external ballast pack in the picture, could be a deal killer.

Here is one with the ballast and lamp info: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Strong-Trouper-Model-575-Follow-Spot-light-/282011918675

Last edited:
Thanks for the above posts, learned a lot and glad or sad I have no more experience with carbon arc's than restoring a 1911 effects projector with ballast/resistor that turned out not fixable and sitting on a rusty 1909 still in found condition tBD w/o ballast. Neither operable. Interesting the 1911 was clearly AC. And both were set up for either two 5/8" dia. rods or a 5/8" and a 1/4" thru later use. Given tales above and from various books on the Iriquois fire in sections about operating such ancient carbon arc gear, seems the wider rods needed more attention, or perhaps way back when they were less refined in me learning some from the above. Also interesting the sputtering with humidity or brand. Beyond that, interesting to me was the lack of ozone or other smoke type stuff mentioned. Was at a theater a few years ago where I think they still are operating a Altman carbon arc, but are not venting it. I could smell it in the audience, must have been interesting in the booth given semi-ventilazation systems.

Thanks also in that I'm glad I have never used or operated such a light. Next week I'll start another winter season of working on a bulk of xenon Glads and Super Troupers so they are ready for next year. Some were housed in theaters, some/most were out doors for the season. Tough to manage man/hours spent and billed for verses brought up to my standards for service. This year I think I got it figured out but still am not a fan of either light.

I have about 1200 hours on a Strong trouper carbon arc and a few more on Gladiators and Supers. I have a lovely scar on my left shoulder from leaning forward looking for my target at an outdoor theatre, and hitting the viewing window glass.... ouch. I both loved and hated those machines. Each and every one has it's own personality and quirks.

I both loved and hated those machines. Each and every one has it's own personality and quirks.
And, over time, you learned to understand and appreciate them all, right?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back