Suggested Lighting Rig?

Is wireless generally a cost saving measure? I will never trust wireless DMX since we have wireless comms, WiFi, and wireless microphones all in the same space.
I run 4-8 wireless comms, 16 wireless mics, iPad wireless for lighting and sound, and 20ish show babies for wireless all year with no problems. Just have someone who knows how to set it up right, troubleshoot interference, coordinate frequencies where possible and its all doable. But its also one of those things people will always have opinions and examples to support or contradict.

Is wireless generally a cost saving measure?

It depends. I found starting on a new build and all LED that yes, distributed relays and wireless did cost significantly less than centrally located relay panels and hard wired DMX. The electrical contractor simply has much less work.

Buying parts, doing the work yourself as an already paid employee or as volunteer, not going to have relays? All those things can tip the balance.

Last edited:
Are you allowed to purchase anything used or do you have any source fours from another space?
Mentioning you want the ability for white light... Still LED but maybe more bang for your buck if you mod some existing stock. And having the ability to focus might outweigh the ability for 65,536 colors. Or maybe a single white front light per side and 7 downlights.

View attachment 17950
We are renovating an existing space. The size of the room is 55x38 feet, with a ceiling height of 12’. The ceiling is a tile ceiling. Will have air conditioning, fire alarms, etc. It is a blackbox theater, so the seating will depend on the show. We have platforms that we can use to raise the stage and/or the audience. Will be used as a multi-purpose room: will host straight plays, presenters, orchestra concerts, fashion shows, talent shows, etc. No windows. House lights will be installed. The budget is just for the actual lights and there accessories, not for supports, console, etc. All sides will be painted black. The supports will be as shown in red in the picture.

If the red lines in the drawing indicate the extent of your lighting grid, I humbly suggest that it is not nearly large enough for the room. In most black boxes the lighting grid goes wall to wall in all directions, especially since it is used to hang curtains as well as fixtures. As drawn, it would be impossible to get front light to many different stage configurations.
Also, a less than 12' grid height will greatly limit your lighting as well as scenic possibilities. Put a 6' person on a 2' platform or riser and you have less than a 4' throw.
Not saying it can't be done, but it will be a difficult space to work in.

Like others have mentioned that is an exceedingly tight budget. Given my understanding is that this is from scratch, the used market is likely your best friend to get some refurbished source fours and some basic shoebox dimmers. If the person in charge of the money doesn't like that, or wants to stick to a certain vendor list, you might need to *explain* how impossible of a budget that is for entirely new gear...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back