Conventional Fixtures Suggestions for free standing lights

Hello CBer's -

We are renting a space that has a ceiling with two different levels. One part of the suspended tile/drop ceiling (over the audience) is 12ft. The other (over the staging area) is closer to 14-15'. Where the two come together creates a 90 degree cove where lights could go. However, this room has no lighting and we cannot attach anything to the ceiling tiles.

The staging area is 28' foot wide and 16' deep and set up proscenium style with 9ft. wings. We are trying to come up with a way to light the stage without being able to hang pipe from the ceiling.

Is it possible to use booms/bases and pipe that would span the stage in the cove/FOH position?

Also, looking for ANY good ideas for lighting a stage of this size. That does not involve hanging pipe from the ceiling.

Looking forward to your responses!

Thank you

I have hung many kinds of lights from suspended grid ceilings using Grid Clips like these
Progress Lighting P8771-30 Suspended Clips Track Accessory, White - Lighting Universe
then ran the wire/conduit over the cieling

Thanks for your reply. I doubt we can hang anything at all from the ceiling at all. I also am concerned about the heat from the fixtures burning the ceiling even if we could use the clips.

When those clips are used, how is the heat output next to the acoustic tiles?

Thank you.

I'd question the amount of weight the ceiling could hold before I'd worry too much about the heat. Grid ceilings are for the most part non-load bearing. If you are hanging anything greater than a few aluminum par cans, you may have some issues.

The heat issue has come up, and the general consensus was "consult the fire marshal/AHJ". We've seen ellipsoidals right against grid ceilings (hanging from flushmount unistrut in ballrooms), but it largely depends on the situation. Remember that safely/responsibly getting power over or under the grid can be problematic as well.

You could light the stage from well-placed C-stands (lighting trees), but it depends on how you want to light it and how much control you need to have. My old elementary school had about the same size stage and it was lit by no more than 5 Altman 6x9's from about 25' away (in a similar cove that you describe). Back stage there was a row of border lights just behind the grand drape, plus a few recessed cans over the apron and directly over the stage. The lighting was adequate, but there wasn't much control. You could duplicate a similar system in a portable format by renting some lighting towers and a 30' stick of truss to create a FOH span. Back stage you could do some tall lighting trees in the wings. You probably won't get any top light, but you may not need it depending on what the needs and expectations are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back