Technician vs Techie

Is it better to be called a Techie or Technician?

• Total voters
I actually prefer not to be called by my name. That's why I use my initials.:mrgreen:

Same here. Although i actually just combine some of my initials/names and make something that works.

Wait, let me get this straight.... so your saying conversations go something like this...

A: Good morning Lighting Designer!
B: Hey Assistant Sound Engineer how are you doing today?

For my other response above... I like to be called by my name ;)

That would be hilarious. Maybe I will make people start doing that on my crew... "Hello Master Electrician Shiben..." Doesnt really come out real good tho...

Even though I'm in high school, I'm still a huge advocate of refering to my type as technicians. "Techie" seems really unprofessional, but there's really no changing the use of it around my school (directors, actors, and some fellow technicians use the term.) In my opinion, just because it's a high school theatre production doesn't mean that the technicians should be thought of as "being there simply because it's kinda fun" (even though some are there for that purpose.) A lot of us, such as myself, are actually interested in continuing on to a more professional aspect of technical theatre, and high school is the starting point.

I just spent 5 hours rehearsing with you [actors]. Do you think I might have earned enough respect for you to refer to me in a somewhat professional manner?

Even though I'm in high school, I'm still a huge advocate of refering to my type as technicians. "Techie" seems really unprofessional, but there's really no changing the use of it around my school (directors, actors, and some fellow technicians use the term.) In my opinion, just because it's a high school theatre production doesn't mean that the technicians should be thought of as "being there simply because it's kinda fun" (even though some are there for that purpose.) A lot of us, such as myself, are actually interested in continuing on to a more professional aspect of technical theatre, and high school is the starting point.

I just spent 5 hours rehearsing with you [actors]. Do you think I might have earned enough respect for you to refer to me in a somewhat professional manner?

We should start calling the actors acties or something... course, they might not have an issue with it... I did get called the lighting b**** by one actor on this show... Guess who gets an IR lamp right above them every scene next show? ;):twisted: Actually, I dont care enough to bother, but i thought it was funny and worth sharing

I find that Tech works the best. People ask me what I do and if I try to explain it to them, it just gets returned with a confused look. Because I do lots of things, its all encompasing.

Them: "What do you do?"
Me: "I do tech for the theatre."

It works better than a lighting designer, who gets confused for someone who does interior design.

Then there is the whole "Tech, Tactor, Actie, Actor" debate

We should start calling the actors acties or something... course, they might not have an issue with it... I did get called the lighting b**** by one actor on this show... Guess who gets an IR lamp right above them every scene next show? ;):twisted: Actually, I dont care enough to bother, but i thought it was funny and worth sharing

Oh, there are other ways of torturing actors who don't do as they are told... "Oh yeah, that super dark blue gelled par that's right in your face the entire show? Yeah, that's completely necessary and there's no way the show can go on without it."

"Stupid Innovator decided to 'crash' during your special scene. Sorry."

"By the way, we've moved those 4 groundcycs to be right in front of you for... uh... special effect."

If I ever got called that or anything similar... I'd definitely be tempted.

Oh, there are other ways of torturing actors who don't do as they are told... "Oh yeah, that super dark blue gelled par that's right in your face the entire show? Yeah, that's completely necessary and there's no way the show can go on without it."

"Stupid Innovator decided to 'crash' during your special scene. Sorry."

"By the way, we've moved those 4 groundcycs to be right in front of you for... uh... special effect."

If I ever got called that or anything similar... I'd definitely be tempted.

Meh. This person is already in the light all the time an in a VERY heavy costume (something like 8 layers) and cant move by themselves at all... They need a lot of water at the end of the show. Wouldnt want it to be more painful... :twisted: oh no that ray gun is critical to the show... No, if its making you feel funny you should just sit down for a bit... ;)

I don't really mind if peopel who are uneducated on the subject call me a techie, but theatre people should at LEAST refer to me as a technician. Even better would be if they called me what I am: Lighting Designer, Electrician, Etc. Basically, I want to be known in each show for what I do.

Also, rather than calling actors actees, I call chorus and minor roles meat puppets (because that's what they are, essentially) and leads Egos (because that's often their most apparent trait)

And I mean no offence to actors who actually know what they're doing and respect us. Youg guys are actors or whatever you desire to be called.

Last edited:
I find that real names are rather effective after introducing yourself to all the relevant people as "the person who'll be making you sound/look good tonight/some other date."

I lobe that this is even being debated :) Neither term is disrespectful. It's like having a solid opinion whether you want to be called 'mom', 'mommy', or 'mother'.

Typicily I'm called a theatre tech or techie or stagehand. Rarely am I called a technician, though when it's a formal introduction That happens too.

Let's not get too bogged down with high and mighty titles and just enjoy what we do.

I have never liked techie or roadie, it just sounds uneducated. It's one thing for somebody not in business, quite another from fellow techs. If it doesn't bother you then it is no big deal. I am a professional rigger, you wouldn't call me a riggie.

For me, it's not as much about respect as it is professionalism. I find 'techie' unprofessional, and I highly doubt you will find any "techies" on professional tours. If you call me a techie, I will find an annoying nickname for you, and call you that until you change your ways ;)

For me, it's not as much about respect as it is professionalism. I find 'techie' unprofessional, and I highly doubt you will find any "techies" on professional tours. If you call me a techie, I will find an annoying nickname for you, and call you that until you change your ways ;)

If you highly doubt that then you would be mistaken. I've met quite a few. It's just not that big a deal.

If you highly doubt that then you would be mistaken. I've met quite a few. It's just not that big a deal.

I think this has reached a point where people are seeing it said from tech to tech, it originated at least in the area i'm from an actor calling a technician a techie. IT brings up the old argument you wouldn't call an actor an actie would you? it is a form of respect and honestly if you don't think so how many people can build and do the stuff we do just off the street?

you wouldn't call a police officer, a piggy to his face would you? its respect to me and it always will be, call yourself whatever you like but I prefer to use respect when talking to people.

I wonder if there is a generation bias here? When I first morf'ed from being a performer to a technician (early '60s) the term techie was considered a badge of honor. Later in life, early 90's, I wrote a monthly column for an e-zine called "Techie's Corner". I was proud of the column and the title, and at the time noone seemed to resent the term. Likewise, in the 60's a Roadie meant a hard working stagehand who toured with a show or tour. Is it because "talent" and directors and producers et. al. have begun to use the term "Techie" and Roadie" in a derisive or "put down" manner? I have noticed that in the last few years, I dislike being called a techie by anyone who is not a techie themselves.

Last edited:
As my wife (a fellow pro techie) said, actors don't like being called walking talking props. Anything can be disrespectful but when a fellow techie hages being called one, I considER them green. It's such a nothing thing to me.

I'm proud of being a techie and am not ashamed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back