Design The magical rut-getter-outer!

Hey guys!

New on the forum, but was wondering what you guys do when you find yourself getting into a rut - sometimes I take a look at other people's shows, try to get into new venues, and look for different types of work. However, I've been house LD for a fairly large venue for a while now and find that since they tend to put on the same type of productions with the same rig that some of my shows are starting to look a wee bit alike.

Here's some of the things I've tried to push my creativity:
-Working on a show right now with a limited color palette - i.e. red. Just red. Started thinking about position and gobos and texture in a whole new way.

-Changing positions and seeing the results. A little bit further back, experimenting with low angles, lights behind setpieces... a PAR at 12 feet is much different then a PAR at 45 feet, even with the same angle and with the lens corrected to illuminate the same amount of stage.

-Putting some CC (no color blue or pink or a pale amber) in a frame behind some of my color scrollers to get a slightly different palette.

Any more ideas would be much appreciated!

You can play with glass gobos the same way you are working with scrollers. You might try going around and taking photos of stuff, seeing how the light interacts and whatnot, then try and replicate the photos on stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back