This can't be right...

Thanks all.

Now actually specifying what to order looks more fun, as I'm not clear on what comes with this
Shure MX418 C 18-inch (45 cm) Gooseneck Condenser Microphone, Attached XLR Preamp, Shock Mount, Flange Mount, Snap-Fit Foam Windscreen, Cardioid. | Full Compass and what else I need to get.

Obviously I need to get a shockmount, as this is a school and people pound on lecterns all the time. Also, I want to be able to remove the mic when it isn't being used.

The principal asked me to make this work with wireless. We have 15 SLX1 beltpacks, so if we had a battery powered phantom power supply at the lectern, and used the instrument cable for said beltpack...does this work?

Your better bet, if it truly needs to be wireless, is probably the MX890 which is designed to work with SLX wireless.

Best,
John

Now actually specifying what to order looks more fun, as I'm not clear on what comes with this
Shure MX418 C 18-inch (45 cm) Gooseneck Condenser Microphone, Attached XLR Preamp, Shock Mount, Flange Mount, Snap-Fit Foam Windscreen, Cardioid. | Full Compass and what else I need to get.
A mixer, speakers, etc. ;) Seriously, I think that seems to come with all the important pieces

The principal asked me to make this work with wireless. We have 15 SLX1 beltpacks, so if we had a battery powered phantom power supply at the lectern, and used the instrument cable for said beltpack...does this work?
I believe that you'd want the WA310 Microphone Cable rather than the WA302 Instrument Cable. I'd be wary of a battery powered phantom supply and a battery powered transmitter mounted in a lectern. Unless the lectern just happens to work well for this, accessing the transmitter and power supply to turn them on and off could be challenging and I can just see people pulling the lectern out and wondering why nothing works because a battery is dead from the device being left on so you need to get into the lectern, pull the device, replace the battery and reinstall the device to get it working.

Urgh, way to go and make something simple way too complicated...
Who actually moves their lectern while it's in use?
It doesn't move therefore it gets cabled, not rocket science...

Cable will ALWAYS be more reliable and cheaper.

But it is possible to make a wireless condenser mic, just not neccessarily fun.
As Brad noted, use the mic cable not the instrument cable.
You'll need to make sure that your phantom supply decouples the output because the WA310 shorts XLR pins 1 & 3 for the unbalanced input to the Tx. Not having that decoupling will make bad things happen...

So all in all yeah it's certainly possible to do it, RF was one of the redundant paths used on lectern mics at the last olympics, but in this case, why???

I realize that copper is cheaper to implement than rf, but it's not my decision. Our principal wants it to be wireless.

You mentioned the phantom power supply decoupling the output. I spec'ed the Art Phantom II Pro power supply for this. Does anyone know if this will be a problem? Is there a less expensive battery powered phantom power supply?

For various reasons, we went ahead and bought a MX418/C and the Art Phantom II Pro, and so far I'm very happy with the combination. We have a few more shows coming up next week so we'll see how it works and I'll update you all on it.

Ok, so the mic worked very well for us, it did not cause any problems and I got much better gain before feedback than I would with a wl183 which our principal insisted on using so much in the past. However, some speakers spoke very close to the mic, and I don't know how to eliminate plosives from the console.

Make sure you use the windscreen that is included with the mic. Also you can make sure the hipass filter on the mic channel is engaged. If it allows you to select the frequency for the hipass try to play with how high you can sweep it until it starts to effect the sound of the speakers voice too much. You can roll a little low end out on the EQ. Also, if you have a compressor, you can insert it on the channel to help. Don't compress it too much to start with, just enough to compress she plosive stuff to make it not as noticeable.

All little things you can try to see if it helps. Of course, nothing is better than training your speakers. Just tell them to speak at a comfortable volume, and not lean in toward the mic. That helps sometimes.

I have also found that they lean in when they can't hear themselves too well, thinking the audience can't hear them too. I have taken to placing a pair of monitors on stage and running the podium mic to them so that the speakers can hear themselves a bit. Platform guests on stage also appreciate this, as they often times cannot hear the speaker too well since they are (most likely) behind the main speakers.

~Dave

I already put the windscreen on the mic. Since I was running around with the other camera I don't know what the sound board op was doing, but I'll play with the eq next chance I get. Don't have monitors yet, or even a compressor. Someday...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back