Three dimmers won't turn off

...and ask him to bring his DMM for a start. (I need to get new batteries for mine)...
Please let us know if it's a TrueRMS, but I'm betting it's not.

(Radio Shack is probably the most expedient.)

As a, sometimes House Electrician, that's pretty good advice, [user]TimMiller[/user]. A cash gratuity also works wonders to make the next show in the venue even easier.;) This is Las Vegas, after all; and I for one, enjoy/appreciate when my palm is greased.

Last edited:
Wow did this thread ever go off track!!!

OK.. Have you shut off all controllers?? Are the lights still on?? If they are, you have a patch/control patch error.

With architectural controls systems interlinked with theatrical lighting consoles it is possible to program the controller so you have channels locked on as non-dims. I have seen this done on purpose to provide power for ghost lights for the theatre. (safety light that are on when everything else is off)...

Hey, Charc. Today I just happened to be in the repair dept. of my friendly local theatrical supply house. And happened to see a dimmer module identical to yours: Strand CD-80 Supervisor dual 20A module. Not that I'm advising you to do this, paticularly without supervision from a qualified individual; but replacing the SSR involves unscrewing six Phillips machine screws, and pulling five connectors, (the hardest part is labeling the four 12g. wires: two black, two white), physically replacing the failed/suspect SSR & schmearing on the heat compound (just like cream cheese on a bagel), and re-connecting the connectors and re-screwing the screws. Most twelve year-olds possess the mechanical and cognitive skills required.

Hey, Charc. Today I just happened to be in the repair dept. of my friendly local theatrical supply house. And happened to see a dimmer module identical to yours: Strand CD-80 Supervisor dual 20A module. Not that I'm advising you to do this, paticularly without supervision from a qualified individual; but replacing the SSR involves unscrewing six Phillips machine screws, and pulling five connectors, (the hardest part is labeling the four 12g. wires: two black, two white), physically replacing the failed/suspect SSR & schmearing on the heat compound (just like cream cheese on a bagel), and re-connecting the connectors and re-screwing the screws. Most twelve year-olds possess the mechanical and cognitive skills required.

Thanks Derek. However, my biology test took precedence over theatre today, and I did not have any frees to track down maintenance.

Yeah you will totally get asked about that in all job interviews.

Spent as long as 2 hours during school today with as many as three maintenance guys working with me. :mrgreen: Resolved many issues. The maintenance dept head will have to order some parts, or just new modules... they are worried about voiding warranties.

We will need at least one new module though: It was really burned out. The SSR pack was a black brick, the leads were all messed up, the copper coil deals were messed up, there was charring everywhere.

Glad you got some things sorted out. Your system was installed in 2006, correct? Anyone know exactly how long the warranty period is on a CD-80 Supervisor install? Keep us informed, charcoaldabs, if you are able to get warranty repair on your system. (As I think the warranty period has long lapsed. ETC folks, what is the warranty period on a Sensor rack, and are SSRs covered?)

Glad you got some things sorted out. Your system was installed in 2006, correct? Anyone know exactly how long the warranty period is on a CD-80 Supervisor install? Keep us informed, charcoaldabs, if you are able to get warranty repair on your system. (As I think the warranty period has long lapsed. ETC folks, what is the warranty period on a Sensor rack, and are SSRs covered?)

I think the install was from '04.

And did your facility buy the "Super Extended Life-Time Warranty of any student who ever attended"? Dude, fix it yourself or pay an outrageous amount to Strand, or your local factory-authorized service provider.

The odometer is broken on my 1995 Pickup. Should I take it back to Toyota and demand that they fix it under warranty?

And did your facility buy the "Super Extended Life-Time Warranty of any student who ever attended"? Dude, fix it yourself or pay an outrageous amount to Strand, or your local factory-authorized service provider.
The odometer is broken on my 1995 Pickup. Should I take it back to Toyota and demand that they fix it under warranty?

It's not my call, Derek. The maintenance guys seemed slightly befuddled by the dimmers, though I did note that SSR packs are circa $40, and not hard to install.

where is a strand repair rep when you need one :)

we're loaded up with people from other companies.....

but that doesn't help you much though does it, i know i can't help i try and provide light entertainment while you struggle though this issue.

Warranty on a system installed in '04 has been expired for 2 years.

New modules can be made same day for SV. I am sure that there are loads of them out there for purchase from used stock.

In Philly your best bet is to contact Century Lighting in New Jersey.

D

That would be Joel Epstein, the guy who did the commisioning of my original Light Palette in 1980.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Century Lighting Service, Inc. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]18-02 River Road[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Fair Lawn, NJ 07410-1201[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica](201) 791-7001 FAX (201) 791-3167[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Contact: Sal Maratta & Joel Epstein
E-Mail:[email protected]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Specializing in old and obsolete dimming equipment to current equipment.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Field service coverage of the Eastern United States.[/FONT]

I was informed by a maintenance member (Not head of maintenance, who said he will be talking to me shortly) that the plan is to purchase a replacement module for the burned out one, and send the other modules out for repair, leaving airflow holes in my rack! :(

Gee, looks like they chose the most expensive and time consuming possible option they could think of ;)

Can't you just feel that "back order" notice going in the mail as we type?

...New modules can be made same day for SV. I am sure that there are loads of them out there for purchase from used stock...
I have seen used CD-80 Supervisor dual 2.4kw modules as low as $30 on the various used gear Internet sites. That's less expensive than replacing an SSR. With minimal wiring skills, one could fabricate his/her own "Constant On" modules, to provide 120V power for moving lights, gadgets, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back