Thunder FX from Lapto

I am trying to run fx from my laptop via itunes. I downloaded a free fx that sounds great on my laptop but once I ran it through the mixer (Mackie 808m) it was crackly and distorted. Could it be low quality? that I used the headphone 3.5mm jack to a line in connector on the mixer?

I adjusted gain, EQ and send levels and it was still poor.

Should I burn it to CD?

I am looking for higher quality audio from Sounddogs.com

Re: Thunder FX from Laptop

What volume are you playing it out of the headphone port? If you currently have it maxed out, try dropping it to 50%ish on the laptop and boosting it on the mixer - sounds like you could be overdriving your laptop's output.

I tried it with low volume and at full and had the same result. I am assuming that the "free" sound file was low quality. I downloaded some this morning from Sounddogs at the highest quality and will try again tonight from the laptop and also I will burn a CD and compare the two. I will also try unplugging my laptop and see if there is interference from the power supply.

I was also looking into external sound cards to see if that may be an option.

I tried it with low volume and at full and had the same result. I am assuming that the "free" sound file was low quality. I downloaded some this morning from Sounddogs at the highest quality and will try again tonight from the laptop and also I will burn a CD and compare the two.
The channel line inputs on you mixer are balanced TRS 1/4" inputs, if you run the headphone out of your laptop into a single line input you are not only running a higher level signal into the input but also an unbalanced stereo output into a balanced mono differential input. So instead of the left channel audio, the right channel audio or a sum of the two you are getting only the difference between the two channels.

You could try a 'Y' cable that splits the TRS 3.5mm stereo headphone jack to two 1/4" connections, one per channel. Or you could use something like Pro Co Sound - iFace or pcDI® - Catalog - Whirlwind and run into one or two the XLR inputs. Or you could use an external audio interface with balanced outputs.

I have a cd player that plays from 3.5 to 1/4" and plays fine. Does that mean the CD is mono? The mixer has 2 line inputs on one channel and one is labeled for mono.

If the CD were mono, you'd get no sound. The percentage of a given signal that is cancelled is inversely proportional to how far off center it is panned. IOW 100% pan, 0% cancellation. 0% pan, 100% cancellation.

I have a cd player that plays from 3.5 to 1/4" and plays fine. Does that mean the CD is mono? The mixer has 2 line inputs on one channel and one is labeled for mono.
I assume this is the same Mackie PPM 808M from the other thread, of so then as far as I can tell Inputs 1 through 6 have a balanced 1/4" mono line input while Inputs 7 and 8 have unbalanced 1/4" stereo line inputs (although according to the single line diagram they are actually TRS 1/4" jacks) that are immediately summed to mono. It's a mono mixer so there is no panning.

It sounds like you are using the stereo inputs on Input 7 or 8. What cable do you have between the laptop and the mixer an how is it wired? If it is a 3.5mm TRS stereo mini to two TS 1/4" jacks and are plugged into both the left and right inputs on a channel then you should get both audio channels from the laptop, however they will be summed to mono. If the cable is a 3.5mm TRS mini to a single TRS 1/4" and you are going into one channel of the stereo inputs input then you would get just that one channel from the laptop.

Another consideration, you actually have two level controls for each channel. There is a larger "Volume" knob that is comparable to the fader on other mixers and would be how you would adjust the level during use, but above that is a smaller "Input Level Set" level control that is equivalent to a gain/trim control on a console. Turn down the Volume control and adjust the "Input Level Set" knob until the LED just starts to blink on the highest peak levels, then use the "Volume" knob to adjust the mix level. With the headphone output from the laptop you may have to turn down the "Input Level Set" control quite a bit to account for the greater level of the laptop headphone output.

A few things... First, did you listen to the track on quality headphones before playing it over the house? 100% of the time you can hear of the track is good or bad on headphones. It will almost always sound good on computer speakers. I have never had an issue using 1/8" out on any laptop (MBP's). However, I did buy a 1/8" to XLR cable (I understand the risks associated...) and found out it was wired incorrectly. The tip and ring were switched. On some devices and songs everything would sound normal, but then other devices and songs it would sound really strange. Try looking up a wiring diagram to make sure everything is terminated properly. Most likely it is the track, though. In that case, use headphones and find another track. A great place for SFX is Final Cut Pro.

I bought a few new adapters. I found that the problem was the 3.5mm cable was mono. Once I put my new stereo 3.5 cable in I had clean sound that could route to both main and monitors. Previously I had a 3.5 stereo cable that split to two RCA. This worked accept it bypassed the mixer and I could only get sound through the mains.

Thanks for everyone's help on this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back