Conventional Fixtures Tip Colors

tyler.martin

Hey: So I'm swapping my Lavendar Tips with a Darker Purple. Currently my Lav Tips are L58, but they will be R49

Right Now I have the Following

6 Area Lav Tips
4 Area Purple Tips
4 Area Breakup Tips

I want to put the Purple up to a 6 Area wash and find a new color where the purple once was.

So my question is... What color Tips do you have?

Side Lights... I don't know what other name you would call them. I have them hung from my onstage electrics pointing in between all the legs and travelers.

They are all either 19 or 26 degree in a very narrow pattern.

So other names? Sidefill? Side Wash? Im not sure... I use the Purple more in my designs because it tends to make things glow more. The Lavender is so light that it just looks O/W.

How about pipe ends? High sides is pretty common too. Never heard them called "tips".

As for color, if they're hung, it totally depends on the show. I only hang high sides on an as-needed basis.

Well I am nothing but a rental house, with mostly dance shows, I only get to do a real design 3-4 shows a year when the high schools all do their spring shows.

Les, what are the more common colors you would use?

Very much a British /Commonwealth phrase. Pipe Ends in the States, for the ellipsoidals used as high sides on the end of the electrics.

As to color ?, whatever the designer wants.

SB

Les, what are the more common colors you would use?

Generally, I lean towards the brighter colors. I've been known to use yellows, pinks, light blues, reds, etc.

For Les Mis, I even used Bastard Amber and No Color Blue

In Wizard of OZ, I used some yellow:

These shows date back a few years, when I used to work for the school district assisting at local high schools.

I've heard the term High Sides and Pipe End mostly just as a fyi.

In our house plot we've mainly used them as break ups, but it really depends on the show. One show I used a set of 3 different High Sides form each side with the same colors as the Down Light with a pattern in each to add texture. I also did a dance show this year with only in house gear and slightly used gel from a friend so I found it best both for the show and my gear to use them as N/C as another form of true visibility.

for my dance plot, my high sides all have break-ups in them too.
I use R4930.
It's a lavender, and I find the white look it gives is great. I use it all the time.

For my dance rep plot, my Pipe Ends have R49*, and my High Sides have a general breakup with N/C. For rock shows, I keep the R49 in my Pipe Ends. My High Sides traditionally get R73, but I've also been known to drop in something like an R312 or a L119, depending on my mood and whatever grabs my attention.

But remember, this is what works in MY plot for MY shows; only you can say what's going to work in yours.

*R49 is a favorite of mine. It's a fun shot of color for rock shows, and for some bizarre reason dance LDs in this area are nuts about it. I've started using it myself for dance, and it's great because it can either subtly warm up a look or add a bold splash of color for a more "artsy" look. I'd def say keep it. But again, that's what works for me.

Last edited:
I myself love R49 as well for pipe ends (I've grown up with tips referring to a light high on a balcony rail as a side fill, like a pipe end, but it's actually in front of the prosc, and so a front light). I've done lavender there, as well as an R99 for some grungier shows.

I miss doing dance shows. It's been a long time since I've been able to get my hands dirty with a decent amount of side light. My current plot is done for broadcast, so I have loads of open white.

Maybe I'll hang some of my S4 PARs VNSP as pipe ends... that could be fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back