Touch Screen Tablet

meatpopsicle

Thinking of getting a touchscreen tablet to run Ion client on. Who likes what?

Tim

The ETC site says the Off-Line Editor, which is also the Client software, only runs on either a Windows or Mac OS system. Thus not sure which tablet you'd run it on, that allows the software to install.

Do you need the full blown Client functionality ?, which I find runs best when you have dual screens available to view a virtual keyboard as well as the CIA at the same time, among other functions.

Or could you get by with the Android or iPad app ?. I recently started using the Droid app on my phone and it's amazingly useful. I could see getting a tablet to gain better resolution and finer control for moving light positioning, but except for that one specific use, the phone works very well. I recently wrote a first time user review here: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/25966-etc-eos-series-android-app.htm

Last edited:
Most people I see running around with windows tablets are using some type of HP or Panasonic tough book thing.

Don't bother with a Windows tablet. Yeah, it's awesome to use but when you get down to it, it's just not worth the extra money. But if you've got cash hanging around, yeah go for it.

Don't bother with a Windows tablet. Yeah, it's awesome to use but when you get down to it, it's just not worth the extra money. But if you've got cash hanging around, yeah go for it.

I think this is a situation where he wants to be able to walk around a set and set levels... The only time I ever see windows tablets in use is for lighting programs and digital audio consoles/SMART. The amount of time these tools save out weighs the cost 99% of the time.

I think this is a situation where he wants to be able to walk around a set and set levels... The only time I ever see windows tablets in use is for lighting programs and digital audio consoles/SMART. The amount of time these tools save out weighs the cost 99% of the time.

The ETC iPhone and Android apps allow you to set and record levels. at least to a cue or group. Essentially it replicates all the RRFU functionality. including recalling from recorded subs.

The ETC iPhone and Android apps allow you to set and record levels. at least to a cue or group. Essentially it replicates all the RRFU functionality. including recalling from recorded subs.

I'm running the app on my Iphone now. I'm leary of upgrading to Io 5, actually. But thats another topic... Footer had it right. I guess I thought I would be able to visualize channel tombstones while not tied to my desk. And that would be greatly advantageous. I have a direct select screen that I built that would allow me to jump back and forth between screens pretty quickly...

When using the remote I'm not able to visualize channel levels which makes me uncomfortable. I'm a little unsure of its reliabilty. I'm supposed to be able to bring up channels at a moments notice...

But is it worth the $...

Guess that depends on how much I want to get off my desk...

edit: My definition of tablet, Steve, is a touch screen PC, (or mac), running Windows. Thats what I was picturing. Not a netbook or Ipad, which is probably what a true tablet is. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
I'm running the app on my Iphone now. I'm leary of upgrading to Io 5, actually. But thats another topic... Footer had it right. I guess I thought I would be able to visualize channel tombstones while not tied to my desk. And that would be greatly advantageous. I have a direct select screen that I built that would allow me to jump back and forth between screens pretty quickly...

When using the remote I'm not able to visualize channel levels which makes me uncomfortable. I'm a little unsure of its reliabilty. I'm supposed to be able to bring up channels at a moments notice...

But is it worth the $...

Guess that depends on how much I want to get off my desk...

edit: My definition of tablet, Steve, is a touch screen PC, (or mac), running Windows. Thats what I was picturing. Not a netbook or Ipad, which is probably what a true tablet is. Sorry for the confusion.

Yup, I see what you want. A touch screen with EOL that has the Virtual keyboard on the bottom, and channels on top. Makes perfect sense especially when dealing with nearly a thousand fixtures across multiple set's and studio's, all patched 1:1. I can see the concern for a typo as you might never find the unit that's on when it's not supposed to be. And you can't hit Go to Cue Out.

This sounds like what you want:

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/toughbook/specsheets/TB-H1F_ss.pdf

Runs Win7. Not cheap though and you have to decide how badly you need to be at the shoot as opposed to sitting in a chair at the console, on radio. A really comfortable desk chair is a lot cheaper.

Not cheap though and you have to decide how badly you need to be at the shoot as opposed to sitting in a chair at the console, on radio. A really comfortable desk chair is a lot cheaper.

And I don't pay for the chair...

However 12 hours in the chair gets to be tedious. And while getting out of the chair is a priority, getting to the set is not. If I could be anywhere in the studio (craft service, office, ect. ect.) how awesome that would be. It would allow me to sit at DIT with the gaffer...but please don't tell him.

I was hoping for a cheap touchscreen laptop that runs EOL and that I could craft a direct select/channels screen. I wonder if you can select channel tombstones via touchscreen? While the toughbook looks really...tough....it is more pricey than I would prefer. Maybe the Ipad running iRFR will be enough.

Incidently, here on Nurse Jackie we have 2 studios. Our hospital set is 384 2ks and 36 12ks with an Ion front end (1 ts). 60 or so fixtures are multiple intensity parameter so we have a significant softpatch to give some ryme and reason to the fixtures. This way we can number all of the flourescent fixtures as 1 through 50 ect. ect. This was developed by the former programmer and implemented this season by our crew.

Our other stage has a number of different sets on it and that stage is patched 1 to 1 for simplicity. Again 384 2ks and 24 12ks and an Ion. Its been interesting moving between a 1 to 1 situation and a softpatch one. Our local, in general, isn't as up on softpatch trouble shooting procedures as a theatrical local would be. But it really didn't take long for the core crew to get with it. If we were here longer than 10 weeks I would network the 2 Ions...but it doesn't seem worth it and would likely confuse some of the crew.

1/2 way through the season the gaffer came to me and asked why all the numbers were jumping aground on the 1 to 1 stage. Why did one light have a 200 based channel and the next a 300 based channel! When I explained that different socas had been dropped next to each other he asked if I could change it to make it easier for him to remember! I demurred, mentioning that the whole stage would have to be relabeled.

Ahh, television.

I wonder if you can select channel tombstones via touchscreen? While the toughbook looks really...tough....it is more pricey than I would prefer. .

Yes, the channel tombstones respond to input on a touch screen. They also respond to mouse/track ball input as well. Makes it easier sometimes when you need alternating (EDIT: Meant to say odd/even) numbers 1-3-5-7, etc.. and can't remember the off-set syntax.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back