Design TV Flicker

tyler.martin

Hey, I have a big issue... So there is a TV off stage during a scene, and I need the flicker across the actor's face. I have low budget (150 CDN) and only 2 dimmer channels to use. My grid is at a very sharp angle to the stage, so there is some harsh shadows on the actors face. I thought about using a strobe, and a S4 at a low level.

I would like to have some color though, cause the tv is used again later on showing a completely different program... My other thought was a LED Par flickering colors and the S4 at a low level with R66 in it to cool it down.

Ideas?

First - make sure the lights are at the same height as the TV. IE don't try to do it from the grid.

If you have an led par - use that with an effect to flicker. Add in a conventional unit that also is flickering a bit at a different rate. By flicker I mean go from 60 % to 100% of whatever 'Bright' is.

If you can't get the LED - use two conventional fixtures and have them both flicker. If you want a color change - have the stage manager put in a different gel.

You don't say where the actor is placed onstage or what the intensity of other lights are, but have you thought about using an actual TV (or two). You could place them in the wings and play a DVD that you create with all the right flickers.

I should mention, that this is a blackbox space with no wings, and no room for a real TV

Even one of those new ones thats like half an inch wide? I mean, obviously they are expensive, but you could really build it into a wall and never notice. We have effectively created a flicker with a TwinSpin with 2 out of focus Gobos and a Full CTB in there... an LED unit would probably be able to do this better, now if only they made a color mixing LED profile...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back