Mixers/Consoles Two bands...one mixer!

techietim

Hi Fellow Techies,

So here's my issue, and yes, there probably are far better situations I could be in but until I get permission to change stuff around I have to work with what I have.
This is a church set up.

Currently all of the resident band is wired into a 24 channel mixer, mixed through and put through the 12 channel desk connected to the amp and speakers.
We are now starting up a Youth Band who will perform in the same area as the resident band so connecting them up is really easy. Setting levels, is a whole other story! :neutral:

What I am asking is, "is there a way I can easily save the settings for the resident band so that I can easily revert back to them after the youth band?". The desk is also not digital, unfortunately so that option is out of the window! :p

Any methods or ideas are much appreciated, preferably free/cheap though open to anything. I could take a photo of the desk and go back to that but please be more imaginative :)

Thanks again,
TechieTim :grin:

Photgraphy is probaby your best bet. You could write out the positions of the faders and eq pots by using the Db markings, but that's just asking for trouble if the operators are inexperienced.

Thanks Aman121, you're probably right. Once the band have finished though, it will be me resetting the levels back to the original resident band settings, so worrying about other operators when writing stuff down is not too much of a worry.

When you had multiple bands using the same analog console for a show it used to be common to chart the console for each band. That meant marking all the settings on a drawing of the console. Many consoles came with one or more pages in the manual that could be copied just for this purpose, since I would run into a number of different consoles I created a generic console drawing in CAD that I used (eight input channels or an output section per printed page). Once you did it that way a few times it would often take only a couple of minutes to reset even a large format console.

Physically marking the console can work great until something changes. Stick on dots or arrows that can be removed might be better in some situations than permanent marker.

When you had multiple bands using the same analog console for a show it used to be common to chart the console for each band. That meant marking all the settings on a drawing of the console. Many consoles came with one or more pages in the manual that could be copied just for this purpose, since I would run into a number of different consoles I created a generic console drawing in CAD that I used (eight input channels or an output section per printed page). Once you did it that way a few times it would often take only a couple of minutes to reset even a large format console.

Physically marking the console can work great until something changes. Stick on dots or arrows that can be removed might be better in some situations than permanent marker.

Thanks museav that's really helpful, I like that idea a lot, I'll see if I can create some form of chart to use!

Stick on dots or arrows that can be removed might be better in some situations than permanent marker.

If you take a stick-on-dot and cut it with scissors into pie shapes you can then use the pie shape as a pointer, use different colors for each band.
be sure to get Removable dots.

This might be obvious, but how many channels does the house band use? Can you fit the Other band in above them?

Unfortunately not :( Thanks anyway!

If you take a stick-on-dot and cut it with scissors into pie shapes you can then use the pie shape as a pointer, use different colors for each band.
be sure to get Removable dots.

Very good point about removable dots, I'm liking this idea a lot to be honest!!
Could you suggest any on Amazon/eBay and I will see if I can find an equivalent on the UK versions! :p

I couldn't tell you, those are just the first ones I happened to find. A couple of reviews make it sound like they should come off pretty easy. A little rubbing alcohol should clean up any residue.

dots.jpg
usually if it does not say "removable" on the packaging then it is likely a long term adhesive.

you should be able to find something like these in almost any office supply store or even the office supply area at the local big box.

I think the larger 3/4" dot would work (it will end up being just 3/8" long)

If you need to remove old tape or adhesive you can take a wooden tongue depressor or popsicle stick, cut one end square, then sand the square end to a sharp chisel point. Use this with something like goo gone. The wood will not scratch metal and with luck it will not scratch the paint.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back