Unbalanced Audio Conundrum

zuixro

So I just bought an M-Audio 410 Firewire audio interface to use for our next show. It has 8 unbalanced outputs, and my plan was to get an 8 channel TRS to XLR snake to run from the 410 to our console (Yamaha LS9 so no TRS inputs). That was my plan until I realized that the outputs were unbalanced.

I'm not worried about interference on the unbalanced lines. (The cable is only going to be 6-10 feet long, depending on which one I get)

I'm not worried about hurting anything and I know it will work. I see people do things like this all the time.

My question is, is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

There is going to be that one conductor either floating (not connected to anything in the 410), or grounded (connected to the shield in the 410), depending on where the contacts are inside the 410.

I know that I could use DI's but I'd rather not do that. (expensive, inconvenient to carry, etc)

On a side note, does anyone have any experience with the M-Audio 410? I read some reviews by people who had problems with it, but I'm pretty savy so I can probably figure it out.

Last edited:
Running such a short distance, I would not be worried at all. This type of set up is pretty common for external sound cards like this. I run an Echo AudioFire 12 mounted in a rack, from a desktop with the same type of snake with no problem at all.

~Dave

After a little research I found a TS to XLR (M) snake (surprisingly difficult to find), so I may get that. This is turning out to be more expensive than I thought...

How about buying the cheap TRS snake and then cracking open the connectors when you get it and shorting ring to sleeve to unbalance it?

How about buying the cheap TRS snake and then cracking open the connectors when you get it and shorting ring to sleeve to unbalance it?
Possible that the snake will exceed zuixro's tenure. What happens when someone sees a TRS-XLR snake and reasonably assumes it to be balanced?

Audiopile has the best bang for buck in premade cables.
MTMS

As far as shorting TRS connectors... There is no need to physically modify the connectors as the female TS will do that by design.

Possible that the snake will exceed zuixro's tenure. What happens when someone sees a TRS-XLR snake and reasonably assumes it to be balanced?

Actually, this is for my own use. If I had tried to talk our TD into buying this, it would have taken till next year (bureaucratic state school). I need this for a show in November, so I bit the bullet and bought this stuff myself. (this way, I get to keep it)

I found a TS to XLR (M) snake for about $30 on Amazon, I'll probably get that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back