Updating FW on FreeSpeak II?

Jay Ashworth

I'm heading in for the day, and on my list is doing a firmware update on our comms.

I've located update files for the base, the packs, and the radios -- but they don't have matching revision numbers, and it's not clear whether I need to update them in a specific order.

I know there are a couple other folks who run FreeSpeak II around here; any of you up this early on a Tuesday? :)

And the Base upgrade seems to have gone ok, but I can't log back into CCM, even though I'm using the username and password buried in the front-panel menus on the base station.

I'm sure you already read this but

If you change the password it is no longer available in the front panel menus. If you lose the password you need to reset it in order to gain access to the CCM.
Reset the CCM password from the front panel menus
Press and hold the Menu button for 3 seconds.
Using the rotary controllers, navigate to Front panel menu>Administration>Reset>Reset CCM password.
Push the rotary controller to select an option or commit changes.

Has anyone noticed that ClearCom -- as important as it is to us in the mid-market -- seems the red-headed stepchild ay HME?

Upgrades complete; details to follow.

I'm sure you already read this but

If you change the password it is no longer available in the front panel menus. If you lose the password you need to reset it in order to gain access to the CCM.
Reset the CCM password from the front panel menus
Press and hold the Menu button for 3 seconds.
Using the rotary controllers, navigate to Front panel menu>Administration>Reset>Reset CCM password.
Push the rotary controller to select an option or commit changes.
In fact, that menu option isn't in the menus, as I found out with Stevon at Support.

But rebooting a second time and reloading the CCM webpage got it back to default.

No.. but in all seriousness for my future efforts, how are your 3 channels set up. Booth master listens and talks to everyone at once, and each channel group has full duplex with everyone in that channel, or does master listen to everyone, select which channel to talk at any given time, including maybe multi select. I've always just used one big channel with maybe 6 devices max. Only experience with "professionally installed" comm was in a school setting, 3 headsets, where they weren't working right anyway, with little budget to repair. And how are your channel categories divided? Box office, Crew, and what other divisions?

Following the instructions in that Medium article got me most of the way, except for:

1) Yes, you can do this on a Mac, worked just fine in my default Chrome browser. You just have to hand-unpack the zip files before the file picker on the Upload button will recognize the valid files. Amusingly, the contents of the main upgrade are a .tar.gz file, which led me to look inside the Technical Support File and learn that the unit is running on OpenBSD.

2) You may need to reboot an extra time after the unit comes up -- it told me that the default user and password were still what I'd had them set to, and the Reset CCM Password option wasn't available in the front-panel menu tree where the Security screen from the device told me to look for them, even after the upgrade. After the reboot, it came up and showed me the new Overview screen, which is spiffy if you haven't had it -- worth the upgrade all by itself.

No.. but in all seriousness for my future efforts, how are your 3 channels set up. Booth master listens and talks to everyone at once, and each channel group has full duplex with everyone in that channel, or does master listen to everyone, select which channel to talk at any given time, including maybe multi select. I've always just used one big channel with maybe 6 devices max. Only experience with "professionally installed" comm was in a school setting, 3 headsets, where they weren't working right anyway, with little budget to repair. And how are your channel categories divided? Box office, Crew, and what other divisions?
We have 2 Clearcom networks, one homed on the FSII base, and one on a standard wired base in our blackbox. Each has a bunch of wired drops, the ones in the mainstage all wired in (including 3 wall stations), and the ones in the black box just looped through several XLR runs.

Channel A - Production
Channel B - Dressing Rm Announce
Channel C - Video Cameras
Channel not-really-D - Blackbox

We occasionally cross-connect the two for big shared events. I can do that because power's switchable on the individual 2W jacks on the FSII and I can turn it off on the cross connect. We steal channel B since we rarely need both things at the same time.

Mostly, it's PTT users, and the SM/director can lock their mic, though most don't.

But it's all standard 2-W Clearcom. Don't feel bad; integrating with the house wired system is the thing absolutely *nobody* gets right...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back