Upgrading equipment

MB_ED

I've spent quite a bit of time searching here and other places to answer some questions. I'll list some of the instruments I have:
1 NSI MC6300 light controller
2 NSI ND4600 dimmers
1 Eliminator ED-15 dimmer.

What I'd like to do is migrate into LED lighting but all of the lights I look at have a DMX protocol. My light board has a place for the optional DMX512 out connection but isn't installed. Is it possible to get this connection and install it into the board?

I do know this board will run both MPX and DMX. I know the conventional PAR cans I have don't care what is controlling them as they just plug into the dimmer while the LED units have their own DMX connections so they can be Daisy Chained(?)

I'm guessing in order to run any LED lighting I'll have to have DMX control from the board which means this socket/replacing board and another DMX dimmer pack such as the ED-15.

Or do I need to consider a converter?

I'd appreciate any hints or suggestions. I'm compiling a list of things for an order that I need to have turned in soon.
I've actually learned quite a bit from poking around. I'm more hands-on learner, I guess the automotive industry will do that ;)

Ed

Last edited:
External converter would be an expensive way to go. Usually on NSI, there is a kit available, may consist of a chip, a connector and an instruction sheet. Chip goes in an empty socket in the board and connector goes where the blank hole is. Been a long while since I ran across this, double check with their tech support to make sure the changeover doesn't kill the microplex output. (I don't think it does.)

While you can convert your board to DMX, it is an 8bit board designed to run dimmers - it's outputs are very sloppy. LED fixtures will care about actual DMX values much more, and while a fader at DMX 254 and not 255 for a dimmer is nothing, it can be an LED at full v/s strobing.
I would advise to replacing you board if moving to LEDs

While you can convert your board to DMX, it is an 8bit board designed to run dimmers - it's outputs are very sloppy. LED fixtures will care about actual DMX values much more, and while a fader at DMX 254 and not 255 for a dimmer is nothing, it can be an LED at full v/s strobing.
I would advise to replacing you board if moving to LEDs

Thank you brucek, Note taken. I have enough standard lights right now that I'm slowly moving into LED's. I'll start looking at new boards.

Not sure why you need another dimmer pack to run the LED fixtures. LED fixtures have their own internal dimmers; you just need to supply constant (not from a dimmer) 120 volts AC like from a wall outlet and the DMX control signal.
Yes, there is no need for a dimmer pack to run the LED fixtures. My take is that his dimmers are Microplex and he needs the board to also output DMX to run the LED fixtures. I checked the manual and it indicates that with the optional DMX output, the board will run microplex off the 3 pin connector while outputing the same channels DMX out of the 5. No listing for a part number for the kit. Could be they didn't want people opening the boards. There are some other threads on this forum about the chip needed, and at this point the light board has been discontinued, so I suspect their tech support could help him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back