Control/Dimming Upgrading system to DMX

Bubby4j

We have a old multiplex setup running some dimmer which dim 18 par cans on our church's youth area/stage. I want to upgrade the lighting system to use DMX and a computer controller, so that way we are more flexible in controlling the lights and in the future we could add intelligent lighting etc.

My plan is to buy 6 American Dj/Elation Dp-415s (about $100 each) to replace the current microplex NSI dimmer packs, the par cans are 600W each and the dimmer pack can only handle 15A, so I can only use 3 out of the 4 channels on the dimmer pack. Is this a good idea? Are these cheapo dimmer packs going to die on me or something? Seems like just about every other DMX dimmer pack is much more expensive.

For the controller I'm going to use a PC, however I have no clue as to what software/DMX dongle to use. I don't want MyDMX as it doesn't support things like applying more than 1 scene at once or syncing to music. We have a live band and one important must-have feature is that I can tap to sync with the music. A lot of the stuff I've seen online is really expensive ($500+!) and is too complicated for someone other than me to learn how to use.

Any suggestions or comments on my plan?

Don't waste your money on cheap dimmers. NSI offers the IF501 (note there are several different varieties) which will convert DMX to Microplex. This will allow you to use your existing dimmers, add new DMX dimmers if needed and also operate scanners or movers. The cost is $ 320.11

Last edited by a moderator:
I contract in for a church with NSI dimmers controlled by a Smartfade ML with a protocol converter in line and I've never noticed any latency. They have it set up so that DMX dimmers, moving heads and LEDs are on universe 1 and the NSI gear is on universe 2. If you had it all on the same chain, you'd want the converter at the end of the line (well, after the DMX and before the Microplex dimmers).

Depending on the pack, NSI (I believe) offers a kit to change the packs themselves to DMX. Just contact a NSI dealer and tell them the model number. They should be able to help you out. This option may be less expensive yet as long as you can find a qualified tech to upgrade them. I think it contains a plug-in DMX chip and new 5 pin connectors.

I'm still wondering what I should do for the computer DMX side of things... I'd program my own software as I am a programmer however I think that would take too long and I would be lacking in features for a while.

I'm still wondering what I should do for the computer DMX side of things... I'd program my own software as I am a programmer however I think that would take too long and I would be lacking in features for a while.

You definitely want to go with something premade, there are a number of free packages out there. Search these forums for "DMX software" and you'll find plenty.

I can't seem to find anything that doesn't have a huge learning curve and does what I want.

I'm looking for something that can basically just do chases and saved scenes, with support for intelligent lighting (don't have any at the moment, but might in the future). The chases I want to be able to sync to the beat by pressing a key on the keyboard or connecting audio to the computer to have it do it automatically.

Even if it wasn't free but was affordable (sub-$400) I'd be happy with.

Chamsys MagicQ can do all of that. Of course, it also comes with a learning curve. I can't think of anything that doesn't have somewhat of a curve in both hardware or software lighting control. Especially when you factor in SMPTE, MIDI and moving light functionality.

for someone who has to upgrade to DMX you sure are picky, Another option although no longer produced is Horizon control, simple PC based solution that can handle movers as well. The hardest part about doing moving light functionality is the lack of physical controls.

If you're looking for a cheap dimming solution, look into D4DMX dimmer packs by Leviton. I use them in the youth department at my church, and they're really simple to set up, and cost effective. I believe it is 4 edison sockets to each pack. Granted, you will need to daisy chain the packs together and run them off of a dimming console, but I think it's worth it.

Full disclosure... I manufacture and distribute the BlueLite X1 and X1-Mini systems.
Take a look at our software/hardware, and pay particular attention to the Live Panel which was designed to be use in pretty much exactly the way you're looking for.
You'll create your cues (aka looks or scenes), save them in different sequences in the Live Panel and then use the keyboard's F-keys (or you can use a MIDI controller) to recall them. The 'spacebar' will allow you to to "tap-sync" to match the beat.
Please call, e-mail or PM me if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer.

On the NSI dimmer packs. Depending on what model they are, I have in the past helped walk an associate through the changes needed to switch them from NSI's multiplex to DMX. It involved inserting an 8-pin chip into an existing socket on the NSI board and switching the cable from the multiplex cable's output connector on the PCB to a different connector for the DMX output. Very simple. Very cheap (the chips are less the $2). Let me know what model NSI dimmer packs you have and I'll see if it's the same as the units we modified.

I am in the same situation: I just got a new lighting board (Innovator 48/96) and my dimmers are on Multi-Plex. Sofar I have found two solutions: Get a DMX to Multi-Plex converter (around $300 to $500) or get the A5512-000 Leviton DMX adapter kit for each of my dimmers (I have 8 dimmers and each kit where I found them is $100, so $100 x 8 = $800). I really don't want to spend $800 on kits to upgrade the system to DMX512. Looking at the conversion kit, it looks like I could just get some DMX sockets and solder them on to the existing plug, making my own conversion kit. Am I a total noob for thinking this??? :) That way it would only cost me about $100 (8 x male adapters, 8 x female adapters, about $7 a pop).

Please let me know if this would work!

Thanks!
SidelingJam3

Yes. Unfortunately, there is more to it than connectors mounted in a box. Look in to other brands -- I know that Pathway Connectivity and Northlight Systems make all kinds of protocol converters at what I think are reasonable prices. I'm not sure if they offer multi-plex but it would be worth calling them.

Last edited:
Ok. So my cheapest option is getting the DMX to Multi-Plex converter?

The cheapest solution is to convert your existing NSI dimmer packs to DMX. Someone has already posted earlier about doing this. NSI sell a kit which is nothing more than the SN75176 RS 485 transceiver chip, an XLR 5 pin male and an XLR 5 pin female connectors with three wires and attached to each with a PCB connector attached. Alternatively you can buy the chip yourself and simply change the XLR connections to the PCB. NSI issued a technical note on how to do this for their dimmer and relay packs - I have a copy in my files. If you know someone who is knowledgeable with electronics they can do this modification in 15 minutes. The chip plugs in a socket already installed on the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back