Urgent Question-- 16-bit on conventional console

What I'm saying is there is not 8-bit mode on the light (well not one that works for anything else... it's some sort of DJ sound active type thing on the 8-bit). I need to use the 16-bit mode. What'd going to happen if I put in on faders and try controlling with just the course one?

Hi there -

What will happen is this - the coarse fader will do the heavy-lifting of moving the fixture, but if you need to nudge it a bit in one direction or the other, you can use the fine fader for this. What 16-bit does on a 16-bit console is smooths the movement of the motor, and gives you more accurate positioning. On an 8-bit console, you lose the smoothing, but can still use the fine channel to position the end point more accurately if needed.

I hope this helps -

Sarah

Thank you! Thats what I wanted to hear. ETC to the rescue again :). Now if only the bean counters would buy all ETC gear I'd never have a problem.

Now if only the bean counters would buy all ETC gear I'd never have a problem.
:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

I received approval this week to replace our remaining Altman gear with a combination of Desire and Source Four Fresnels. Today, when not working on my day job I am busy putting together the RFQ (request for quote) to send out to a few suppliers. All things being equal, I will use our local shops but it's good to make them sharpen their pencils. Now if only I can get ETC to give me some info on lensing that I asked about on the ETC forum.

One other item that may be an issue. If you do a slow fade from one position to another while the lamp is up, you may notice that the movement is jerky. This is due to the console treating the fade as two channels instead of one. If this is a problem, (not usually ) and the fixture supports it, you can set the pan/tilt timing channel to ( say) a two second fade. This should smooth out any bumps.

This is usually not an issue in your circumstances, but occasionally ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back