Using Gobos with Border Lights

I have the extensions...I just don't think I have anywhere near enough extension to reach that far...plus i don't know if it would be safe to run it up and down and all around the stage. [

I have the extensions...I just don't think I have anywhere near enough extension to reach that far...plus i don't know if it would be safe to run it up and down and all around the stage. [

Break it down into steps.

What does the jacket of your extensions say? You're looking for something like: 12/3 SOOW

What is the distance?

What is the wattage of the light you want to plug in?

It is very common to run lots of cable. That said, you must make sure it is in good condition, of large enough capacity to feed the light, and run/secured in a safe manner.

--Sean

Break it down into steps.
What does the jacket of your extensions say? You're looking for something like: 12/3 SOOW
What is the distance?
What is the wattage of the light you want to plug in?
It is very common to run lots of cable. That said, you must make sure it is in good condition, of large enough capacity to feed the light, and run/secured in a safe manner.
--Sean

This would not be possible (it would be running up soft good legs or borders or would be dangling around the stage) to do.

This would not be possible (it would be running up soft good legs or borders or would be dangling around the stage) to do.

You don't have _any_ way to run a cable? So long as it's tied well over head, and out of traffic paths, running a cable up the back of a leg would certainly be ok.

--Sean

I'll have to look tomorrow when I go to the theater. It may work if I can find all the cables and everything. Any other ideas how to do this? Thanks everyone so far.

I've got some neat looking effects for some "kiddy shows" by placing gobos into instruments close to the cyc...as it seems you have got here. If it's like our school theatre, we've got strips all across the farthest electric back almost 3 feet infront of our cyc that generally stay there; however, we've got lots of spare pig-tails running back there too so I sometimes place some ERS instruments roostered off the front or back next to the strips pointing at the cyc.

I attached a rough picture. Just be sure your cyc's nice and tight (unlike this picture...we hadn't gotten it weighted at the bottom yet).

Also, with such instruments such as pars and fresnels, you can use the pie-pan trick to breakup the light a bit. It's not what you're looking for in this case; however, I've seen it done and it adds a little to the compositions. One designer friend of mine said they used to use pars and backlight outside/forest scenes and just clip pie-pans to the front of the instruments in order to add some soft tree breakups. It's a small detail thing, though... you won't get anything sharp, obviously. Also, if you haven't gotten the money and budget to buy gobos, make them w/ the pie-pan trick too. Just cut them the right size and you're good.

Somebody mentioned wood a while ago in doing something similar to this...I'd be a bit hesitant to use wood as a gobo as...it's...wood...and I'd think it would burn or just get kinda unsafe easily under such heat. Pie-pans are commonly used to make gobos for ERS instruments in a pinch and withstand intense heat anyway w/ being cooked w/ and all.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 841
Last edited:
You should be able to rent 50 foot stage pin extension cords for about $10 a week... if not less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back