Design Vectorworks Help

So, I placed all my lights in VW already (2009) and now I want to go back and label them all. Nothing happens when I "create label format." Did I HAVE to do that before I put the lights down? Is it just somewhere I can't see? Help me! I'm stupid!

So, I placed all my lights in VW already (2009) and now I want to go back and label them all. Nothing happens when I "create label format." Did I HAVE to do that before I put the lights down? Is it just somewhere I can't see? Help me! I'm stupid!

Dude your not stupid. Took me about a week before I even had the slightest inkling of how this worked. So if I understand it right, your trying to put in channel, dimmer, etc into there, right? Did you make sure to insert all of the instruments using the instrument insertion tool? If so, hit up the Label Legends manager to create your labels. Make sure each instrument has your label legend for that instrument selected, and then I THINK there is a button you push, but not totally sure. When Im more awake I will go thru this and try again.

Having placed lighting symbol objects on the plot, you need to convert the objects to lighting symbols, this is done via the Convert to Instrument tool

Then find the Label Legend Manager and create as many label legends as needed - I.E. one for a S4 ellipsoidals facing US/DS, another SL or SR, ditto for S4 Pars, ditto for PAR64's, ditto for 6" Fresnels, etc... till you have enough LL's to have the attribute information correctly located on and around the lighting symbol. It's possible to get creative and build 20 or more LL's, it takes time, as you have to keep checking to see of the attributes space correctly, have the proper font, etc.... but take the time to do it and you get to re-use all this effort.

Note that there's a 2 step process to creating label legends, the first is in the Edit Fields, where you choose what attributes (Channel, Dimmer. Color, etc... ) are needed, as well as right reading (text always reading R to L), and what containers for attributes - I.E. a circle for a Channels, Hexagon for Dimmers, etc... Then step 2 is in Edit Layout, where you place the attribute info around the fixture.

Then click/highlight all those S4 ellipsoidals facing US/DS and Assign Label Legends to those fixtures. Repeat for all fixtures.

Note that in VW 2009, Convert to Instrument and Assign Label Legend tools are in Modify, while the Label Legend Manager is in Tools

Last edited:
I do all these things over and over again, and the information is not on the plot. Where does it go? Everything was added with the instrument tool. I converted it all to instruments anyway. I made the label legend and arranged it. How do I get it to show up on the instruments on the plot?

could it be that you have a "class" set to invisible? I'm not at work right now and this is the first thing that pops into my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back