Automated Fixtures VL 3500

Looking for input from all VL 3500 users, specifically facilities that have used them for the past three years. I currently own 8 - 3000's (only six are in the plot due to failure) that have given me a lot of grief over the past five years.
Granted the serial numbers are low and I expect Vari-Lite has worked out most of the problems. For my application the 3500 is dead sexy just don't really want to tie up 6 figures ($$$$$$.$$) if Vari-Lite hasn't hit a home run.
If you would like to look at the house plot for the application please visit Palace of Fine Arts Theatre

Most CB members are in educational theater, community theater, or smaller regional theater and as such don't have the budget to own the latest and greatest movers. So this message may take a little longer to get answered than some of the others you see, but never fear, there are people here who will be able to help you.

Try updating the software to the latest version. Instructions are Here upload software Here and your fixture's software is on the website Here
Nick

Last edited:
taylortheatrical, I'm assuming you want the 3500s because of the shutters. Its only competitor is the MAC2000 Performance which costs nearly the same but is not as good, in my opinion, but still a fine light. I can't speak as to reliability as I only rent--that way it's someone else's problem. Rarely do I have a rig where every fixture works 100%--at least one always needs to be replaced. While far from perfect, the VL3500Spot is the best currently on the market.http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/members/taylortheatrical.html

Looking for input from all VL 3500 users, specifically facilities that have used them for the past three years. I currently own 8 - 3000's (only six are in the plot due to failure) that have given me a lot of grief over the past five years.
Granted the serial numbers are low and I expect Vari-Lite has worked out most of the problems. For my application the 3500 is dead sexy just don't really want to tie up 6 figures ($$$$$$.$$) if Vari-Lite hasn't hit a home run.
If you would like to look at the house plot for the application please visit Palace of Fine Arts Theatre

Spot or wash fixture? We picked up a dozen 3Ks last autumn and have had no issues with them, which is impressive as they are in a rental inventory. VL sent us with some 3500's on Demo for a festival and we were blown away, the opening lens function on the wash is something else.

I don't have enormous amounts of time with the 3500s, but from the two or three shows I've done with them I've never had any problems. They have an amazing zoom range, good brightness, and I never had any issues with equipment failures. In a parallel show I had some issues with a position sensor on a Mac 2k (ended up being dust on the sensor, but it took 3 cleanings to totally clear it off).

VL makes quality gear, I would recommend them in general.

Why don't you call VL and see if they'll give you a demo. It seems if your thinking about purchasing $100,000 of equipment from them, the least they could do is send you a unit and let you play with it.

EDIT: Oh, I'm assuming we're talking about the 3500 spot. I've never worked with the wash. I got a demo of it a few months back but besides turning it on and taking the outer case off, I have no experience with it.

I have 6 VL 3500 spots at my venue. Great toys. Haven't had any issues out of them in the few years we have had them. Before I joined staff when they were trying to decide which to buy they did a shoot out with the VL 3500S and a Mac 2k. The VL beat out the Mac in all areas that mattered to us. I personally think that the fixture is worth the money and am hoping to purchase a few more over the next few years.

Recently, used 3 x VL 3500Q spot for a show, they are IMHO impressive. Only the X / Y axis movements sometimes are a little 'out of control', but once you get the feel they are ok. About failures... they were rented and we got a spare from the rental company, but never had any serious problems. At first one VL3500Q was acting rare, but it was due to a faulty termination plug and thus not a VL problem.The only minor thing would be the weight of a unit...
The shutter system is realy nice and incomparable, the colors a little 'cool' in my opinion, but the light output and zoom are very very impressive. We used them indoor they easily outclassed PC's and Fresnels even from large distance.
For theatre use I would prefer VL above Martin Mac's. Perhaps a little unfair cause I never worked with MAC2000's (only smaller MAC's).

The VL3500 are the best fixtures on the market. None of my clients have had complaints about them yet. Pretty much what you read above is true and in my experience they even outclass the Martin MAC2k.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back