VL2500s behaving oddly

How are these fixtures being powered? Are you in an area with flakey power? It seems it is moving like an illness so it needs to be something that all the VLs have in common. A

We have amazingly stable power. The units are all 208 on a distro that was built by an electrician employeed by us. The power and distro were in use before the fixtures were purchased and has never had any issues of being faulty. I have some 120 units on this distro as well which are all fine. The power is killed (after proper lamp of and cool down time) whenever the fixtures are not in use. I'll double check the power and make sure nothing has changed lately. But I'm doubtful that has accured. It seems way to odd to have so many fixtures start having the same issue so close together, even if they were all purchased and prossibly manufactured together.

The issues you are having are eerily familiar to me. I am a Vari*Lite certified tech and I have seen this a few times. Unfortunately, in my experience, there is no quick fix. I read through every post in this thread in hopes of having my belief proven wrong.

The rental house that I work for has 26 VL2500s, 24 bought late 2006, 2 in early 2008. I have seen the problem you are describing on probably a half dozen of our fixtures and it has always been an MCB issue. Granted, our lights probably get more abuse than yours but it is still not an uncommon issue. I'm sorry to here you've been having trouble with them, they can be temperamental.

Well crap...just what I was afraid to hear. But at least that answers some questions. Now I'll just need to replace all of my just out of warranty 2 year old MCBs and I'll be good for another 2 years...

Few days later and I'm revisiting this issue, yet again. The one that I was originally having this issue with was sent to the shop for a new MCB to be put in. As I mentioned earlier have another light showing the same issue. Well more have started. I'm more than willing to bet that it will also require a new MCB. This now makes 5 lights having the same issue. All have been properlly maintained and are installed, never toured fixtures. All bought the same day in 2008. Fixtures are 2 years old and now 5 of 11 of them are having major Main Control Board issues. I know this isn't a common problem in most fixtures but come on...half of them?! What are the odds that I got a batch of lemons? The way it happens makes me think it is not my console but, maybe something went nuts with my Vista. But my fixtures of other brands work just fine, so I'm doubtful that it's my desk. What do you guys think? All fixtures are out of warrenty and 2 of the 5 have been repaired now, with 3 more showing the same issue. I'm a bit more than frustrated...

Hi there,

I know this post is a few years old, but I am wondering if you ever fully solved this issue? I have a rig that is giving me the exact same set of problems, nd I am at my wits end with it.

And advice would be great at this point.

Thanks!

Hi there,

I know this post is a few years old, but I am wondering if you ever fully solved this issue? I have a rig that is giving me the exact same set of problems, nd I am at my wits end with it.

And advice would be great at this point.

Thanks!
Sorry for the late reply. Have been swamped with shows lately. I did finally figure it out. The color bulkhead sensor was failing due to heat issues. It's actually a known problem to VL. The bandaid is to install a heat shield. It won't stop them from failing but will extend the life of the PCB. Your VL dealer can get these parts for you. Replacement of the PCB is very easy. Don't have the part numbers on hand to give to you or I would.

It is a prevalent issue with these units. The 'heat shield' is simply a piece of aluminum that goes on the lamp side of the sensor. If i remember correctly, to install simply pop out the color mixing bulkhead, remove the two small screw holding on the sensor and place the shield over the sensor and reinstall the two screws. I don't have the parts list on me, but if you call any VL dealer and let them know you need a new Color mixing Bulkhead Sensor and Heat Shield, they should know what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back