Automated Fixtures Wash Light

jsusfrk100

I need to find a moving head to use as was lighting on our stage. I am currently looking at the MAC III Wash and the MAC Viper Wash. If you have used either of them, perhaps you could provide me with some input?

What Bill said. Also, the Mac III stands about three feet tall. I have only ever seen it used in arenas the like. Is that the size you need for your space?

We have our services in an auditorium that seats over a thousand people and is broadcasted live all over the world. We currently use 12 fresnels to provide front lighting across the stage; however, I do not want only the amber, but also the CMY color mixing. I want to be able to use just the 3 moving head washes to provide the front lighting so I can divide the stage into 3 separate zones and provide even distribution of lighting, while not having the front lines be lit with amber but a color. That way the lead can stand out more.

I've used a MAC III Performance, never a wash. It is a great fixture. I can't say anything about the Viper except that I expect it to extremely good as well. I guess the biggest question would be do you need the extra 12,000 lumens that the III has over the Viper? Also, do you have 208V available as the III can't use 120V? The Viper will be faster, it being much lighter and a bit smaller. And if you want a color wheel or iris in the Viper like the III, you'll need the DX. But it doesn't seem like you really need stuff like that. I must say, I don't think you really need such high end fixtures if all you really want is CMY in your front light. Maybe you could get away with a HMI SeaChanger. It'll be at least 2/3 as bright as the Viper, but cost less than half as much. Guess you just need to really define what exactly your needs are.

-Tim

We have our services in an auditorium that seats over a thousand people and is broadcasted live all over the world.

If you are broadcasting, I am guessing HD and multi camera angles. You need very good top/back lighting for camera's. Also direct on lighting can give shadows on cameras on the diagonals. A 5 point lighting, adding CYM washes as down/back and up stage accents will give some great separation while adding some great color. The wash fixtures may give more problems as a front (face) light fixtures.

I know you just asked for our input as to what type of fixture we like, but it is all about the desired end result. As asked earlier a little insight as to what you are trying to accomplish would help. You already have FOH Fresnels for front light and only 3 fixed zones doesn't warrant movers.

My suggestion would be to contact Noel Duncan (Product Manager at Martin Pro in Florida) [email protected] 954-375-2839. Ask him to compare the feature sets of the two fixtures for you, or maybe he can get some info from you on how you intend to use them, what the throw distances will be, etc. and he can make a recommendation for you based on that. Nobody knows the product like the Product Manager!

Depending on the throws you are looking at, I would look at the other, smaller Mac wash units. I absolutely dig our Viper Spot fixtures, but for washes we use Mac Auras and 301s, and for the bigger shows the Varilite VLX (similar price point to the Viper). Take a good look at the VLX - it's a pretty beam of light if that is your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back