Wearing Blacks in Non-Backstage?

Should non-backstage technicians wear blacks?

• Yes

Votes: 80 78.4%
  • No

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
I and all of my tech people wear clean blacks for all ticketed performances, whether in the booth, backstage or deck.

If we have rented out the house and the show has their own LD, sound people and stage manager, or it is an non-ticket show then techs are in blacks and I am in black shirt and shoes and khaki trousers.

If it is a CCSO, Corpus Christi Symphony Orchestra performance, then all techs in blacks and me in black suit with a tie, usually red because I hate ties.

If, for some reason, techs show up in black shirts (T type) that has lettering on it, I use the ever present and multi-functional black gaffer's tape to cover the lettering.

At no time and no way are shorts ever worn, even though we are on an island and that is what most of the students live in constantly, along with their flip-flops (which used to be called thongs, btw) which are also not worn on any call.

When you are called to work, you dress for work, otherwise I couldn't care less what you wear.

My $.02,

Rich

Just because you're not assigned to go onstage doesn't mean it won't happen. If there's a chance of you having to go onstage you should be in blacks. I'm a designer, usually I show up for previews in street clothes, but if the show's going rough in tech and I think maybe I'll need to go backstage and troubleshoot, well, I show up in blacks. I agree, a FOH sound mixer should be dressed in street clothes - and I think they should be dark grey or suchlike, non-descript and able to pass as blacks onstage.

I agree, a FOH sound mixer should be dressed in street clothes - and I think they should be dark grey or suchlike, non-descript and able to pass as blacks onstage.

In my opinion, nicer than street clothes if patrons can see them. Probably the same level of dress as most of the people in the theatre. Not a tux or suit if it's that formal, but at least a nice button-down (dark colored) shirt and pants.

In my opinion, nicer than street clothes if patrons can see them. Probably the same level of dress as most of the people in the theatre. Not a tux or suit if it's that formal, but at least a nice button-down (dark colored) shirt and pants.

We probably mean the same thing. I dress pretty shabby, so when I refer to "street clothes" I tend to mean dressing up clean. My "regular" clothes all have holes in the knees.... :oops::grin:

My crews wear a tech shirt that is black with white lettering. We like to look seperate, but during the show the audience can't see anyone unless they are straining to see us. I have gone to a military surplus store and bought several pair of black cargos and the techs buy them from the theatre so that they are uniform and usually cheaper. I, as the TD/HM/ME usually wear the same thing but a button up long sleeve shirt that has the same design printed on it (A very generic design that is good for every show) When working at a jobsite or when someone rents I look professional, the first due to the fact that is a job and the latter due to the fact that Im in charge and they should know that. Always, black steel toe workboots for everyone.

BTW I just realized how old this thread was, oh well.

Im going to go out on a limb and say this. It all depends on the security as well. If you dress like a normal audience person and security doesnt know who you are, chances are, you are not getting backstage very easily.

Security is nice to have but sometimes they are a PITA!:rolleyes:

Im going to go out on a limb and say this. It all depends on the security as well. If you dress like a normal audience person and security doesnt know who you are, chances are, you are not getting backstage very easily.

Security is nice to have but sometimes they are a PITA!:rolleyes:

I actually had something like this happen with the security a show brought in to my venue a few years back. Their security wouldn't let me through the stage door,:evil: so I told him that was fine and I'd just go through the office located ten feet to the left of the stage door. I took out my keys, opened the office door and went through.:twisted:

After that, I had no more issues with their security.:mrgreen:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back