Automated Fixtures what are some impressive lights to put into a show ?

Wow- so many directions to go with this question!

Budget is important, as is
Color temp desired
Console used

Clay Paky's recent products including Sharpy and Alpha units have favorable reviews available from a variety of internet sources.
http://www.mikewoodconsulting.com/articles/ClayPakySharpy.pdf

The Martin Viper I saw debuted in Frankfurt at the ProLight & Sound show was impressive, quiet and quick. This too should have helpful reviews online.

With a little more detailed info, you should find much helpful advice here-

(And welcome to the ControlBooth!)

Do you have the budget to buy that many movers? Do you have the support staff to service them? If you go with renting, these factors don't matter as much.
wdit

edit- looks like I got beat!

Last edited:
I have a very good budget. This is going to be a new non - profit organization to educat high school students about concert tech. I already have 500,000 $ from about 20 different sponsors. We currently have a grand ma 2 full sized board. Ma vpu unit along with some large format led screens. We just need movers I have helped service some movers they where Martin Mac 500's. these units aren't critical for any show and when they break its just a learning opportunity for the students.

I have a very good budget. This is going to be a new non - profit organization to educat high school students about concert tech. I already have 500,000 $ from about 20 different sponsors. We currently have a grand ma 2 full sized board. Ma vpu unit along with some large format led screens. We just need movers I have helped service some movers they where Martin Mac 500's. these units aren't critical for any show and when they break its just a learning opportunity for the students.

Buy a plane ticket to vegas: LDI Show 2012: LDI 2012. See what you like.

Buy a plane ticket to vegas: LDI Show 2012: LDI 2012. See what you like.

Yup. Best advice ever. You'll get to see all the new products first hand and demonstrated for you. The Clay Paky fixtures are great, so are the Martin Pro MAC III and Viper. Also Martin has the new AirFX and MAC III Wash fixtures coming out.

Vari-Lite has always made phenominal product. Check out their VL3500 Wash fixtures (three new versions just launched at Pro Light & Sound). Their VL3000 Spots are older, but great fixtures as well- with framing shutters! I used to love using those.

Chauvet has a new Legend 230SR fixture that has some insane output.

But definately check out LDI to see them all first-hand.

Check out their VL3500 Wash fixtures (three new versions just launched at Pro Light & Sound).

Are these the new 3515 series? I got to see a shootout between those and the standard 3500 series a few months ago, and the difference is unbelievable. And the only real physical difference is the heatsink from the Q series and the sexy curved handles.

Their VL3000 Spots are older, but great fixtures as well- with framing shutters! I used to love using those.

It's actually only the 3500 series that has shutters - the 3000 has the Iris and extra rotating gobo wheels.

I've heard a lot of good things about the new clay-paky units, but how about their support? I know it was almost impossible to get parts/support for their older units in the states, and finding an english manual was equally challenging. Have they fixed this with the new round of lights? The Alpha Profile 700 is a beautiful looking light.

Can I just ask where in the US this is?

As far as impressive looking, Syncrolights and Showguns both look almost intimidating, although both are probably way overkill for 750 seats. (Well, the syncrolite is at least)

If your bringing in demos, the new Vari•lite VLX series might be an interesting option, to get a good variety.

If this is for educating students, you may want to look at some High End Systems Studio Spots. Not anything new, but common. And parts should be easy to find if/when they start breaking.

I would stay away from the Showguns in a space that size. While they are an impressive light cannon, they're kind of a one trick pony. You're going to get a lot more legwork out of something like the VL 3000/3500, or the Mac Viper.

I've heard a lot of good things about the new clay-paky units, but how about their support? I know it was almost impossible to get parts/support for their older units in the states, and finding an english manual was equally challenging. Have they fixed this with the new round of lights? The Alpha Profile 700 is a beautiful looking light.

I haven't worked a lot with the new CP products, but from what I've seen so far, things look to be way better than they used to be. We just took delivery of 8 new Alpha 700s (3 Profile, 5 Wash) through BMI, and the service was outstanding. The manuals are in perfect english (as opposed to "GrandMA English"), and I know that PRG is now sending out a ton of these and has ample spare parts for sale or shop repair. We demoed these against Mac 700 Profile and Washes last year, and the choice was painfully obvious. I came in STRONGLY biased toward the Macs because of my fantastic experiences with the 700 line (both from a functionality and repair standpoint) and against the Pakys (because of problems with locating spares and parts and qualified techs nearby), but even I had to admit that the Alpha 700s simply blew the Macs out of the water. Far quieter, brighter, better beam quality (except in the Wash - the beam quality of the Mac 700 Wash is still unmatched), more features, and really freaking fast. I haven't had the Paky's long enough to comment on their long-term reliability, but at this point, I'd highly recommend them.

If this is an educational endeavor to train concert designers, I think the more diversity, the better. Heck, Hog AND MA!

For a 750 seat space I'd look at the 700 series from Clay Paky, not the 1500. I saw the Alpha Profile 700 and the Alpha Spot 700 HPE and they were both very impressive and surprisingly bright for a 700. Having some of each - the 700 Spot HPEs and the 700 Profiles would make for a really nice rig. As for washes, I think that the MAC Aura is a great fixture. Not insanely bright, but it's pretty bright for an LED wash and it's got a great beam when zoomed down. They're really common now because pretty much all of the major rental and production houses have bought in to them. Then for the big guns in terms of washes, VL3500 Wash FX units, maybe 6 or so of them. So the workhorses of the rig would be Apha Spot 700 HPEs, Alpha Profile 700s, and MAC Auras. Then fill in effects with some VL3500WFX units and due to their ubiquity some Sharpys.

Sharpys are a one trick pony, and I think for a space that small, they will be of limited use. Think the modern equivilant of an ACL.
I think some 700 watt movers will give you far more flexibility than Sharpys.
Just my $0.02
Currently on tour with 144 Sharpys, and 200 other movers
RB

Sharpys are a one trick pony, and I think for a space that small, they will be of limited use. ...
I agree; I'm already bored with the Sharpy fad, and think it may be waning. Plus, I recently saw confirmation that the Sharpy can't compete with the big, fat, slow beam of a Syncrolite.:eek:

I've got a dozen sharpy's in my rental inventory, service from ACT in NJ is always superb, any time we have issues parts have been quick to get...

Also have the Alpha Pro 700s, both great lights, Sharpy's have been hot this past year though so they stay off the shelf quite a bit.

Can't go wrong with VL's either, we just picked up some 3015 Spots and there's a noticeable difference with some improvements on the handles...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back