Conventional Fixtures What are these worth?

avkid

Not a New User
Fight Leukemia
We have six (6) of these fixtures that need to find a new home.

I have no idea what they're worth, can anybody shed some light on the subject?

proxy.php

Album-
Kliegl pictures by avkid - Photobucket

I can't help much with the actual worth but don't forget unless you get someone local to buy them someone needs to pay shipping which can't be cheap because those seem like they would be quite heavy.

I can't help much with the actual worth but don't forget unless you get someone local to buy them someone needs to pay shipping which can't be cheap because those seem like they would be quite heavy.
The plan is local or at least local enough that I can deliver. (East Coast)

Since no one has stated the identity--Kliegl 1355 (or 1355W) 500/750W ERS. Available new as late as 1978. Using a T/H lamp mounted radially and a step lens, the optics are of dubious quality. I doubt the modern GLx or SPH lamps would help matters any, though it will take them.

Since no one has stated the identity--Kliegl 1355 (or 1355W) 500/750W ERS. Available new as late as 1978. Using a T/H lamp mounted radially and a step lens, the optics are of dubious quality. I doubt the modern GLx or SPH lamps would help matters any, though it will take them.

I don't have any but do know of similar ones well.
You would have to jack up the lamp base to fit a SPH lamp and this might block reflector output. GLx, never heard of that lamp before.

I would start at $45.00 for these Kliegl antiques given they were clean and safe as appairently re-wired and no longer or were asbestos given the later date. Single wiring hole says later date to me also. $25.00 would be a threashold price for such fixtures for me by way of holding onto them until the market gets back up to value I would consider for them verses saturation of the market for radial fixture types. Lack of market for such things now but it will grow as an antique eventually as opposed to something someone besides me would use in a show. Wow, they were still selling radials in 78' that's fascinating in a why type of question.

If a 6x9 or 4.5x... fixture I guess, they are probably a little more valuable on the price side. If more the 6x16 size as possible, much lower in value.

...You would have to jack up the lamp base to fit a SPH lamp and this might block reflector output. GLx, never heard of that lamp before. ...
If the SPH is a direct replacement for EHD/EHG (original recommended lamps for the fixture, but not FEL), why would one need to "jack up the base"?
I use "GLx" to refer to any of the GLA/GLC/GLD family.

This series never contained asbestos wiring.
The 1355 equates to a 6x8; the 1355W is a 6x3 3/4, IIRC. Note that, due to the dual PC lenses, the E.F.L. of a 6x9 is ~4.5" and a 6x12, ~6", so in effect the 1355 is equivalent to a 6x16, and the 1355W between a 6x9 and 4.5x6.5.

Last edited:
I will have to disagree. those units are worth whatever you can get from the scrap metal yard. take the lenses out and put them on Ebay (no idea how much they are worth). someone still has these units and can't afford to upgrade yet but could probably use the lenses, but it would almost be a crime to do anything but recycle or make ashtrays out of these units...and i am one for using something until it has outlived it's usefullness. these units have. :)

I have to agree with Pete. About half of my college's ERS inventory was (and still is, as far as I know) 1355s, with 1357s (I think? came in 8" and 12" flavors) in the FOH. They also had/have the original Kliegl dimmers--78 of them ranging from 2.4kW to 12kW--and ~300 circuit patch panel. The dimmers/patch panel were a bit of a pain to work with, but NOTHING compared to 'focusing' the 1355s. We cheered when one got dropped from the catwalk. Unless as ship says you can try to sell them as antiques, I'd say eBay the lenses and take the rest to the scrap yard.

I used to use these as well up until last year. I as well have about 5 of them sitting around looking for a new home.

If the SPH is a direct replacement for EHD/EHG (original recommended lamps for the fixture, but not FEL), why would one need to "jack up the base"?
I use "GLx" to refer to any of the GLA/GLC/GLD family.

This series never contained asbestos wiring.
The 1355 equates to a 6x8; the 1355W is a 6x3 3/4, IIRC. Note that, due to the dual PC lenses, the E.F.L. of a 6x9 is ~4.5" and a 6x12, ~6", so in effect the 1355 is equivalent to a 6x16, and the 1355W between a 6x9 and 4.5x6.5.

Sorry, I was thinking BTH and medium Prefocus given its a radial fixture. This is a medium bi-pin? Interesting. Ah' on the GLx, I normally call it the GLA series. Thanks for clearing it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back