What do you do?

ursulaboy

So you come into the club and you know you have to busk the entire show.
you sit down...you see the console...and....what do you do?
Really, I need help.
where do you start? Do you start making presets? do you go straight into recording cues?

Any help is appreciated.

Do you have movers or just colour changers? If you have movers, I normally make about 4-5 positions. Surprisingly you don't need many more than that. Then one good ballyhoo will get you most of the way through the night. Drop the positions on bump buttons. Some desks like the GrandMA and the Strand Palette have handles that lets you adjust the fade times of those positions on the fly. Hog desks call this Live Programmer timing (not sure where it is on the Hog IV, but earlier Hog had it in a setup window and it wasn't as easy to get to on the fly.) Do the same with colours - pick four primaries for max effect. (Perhaps Red, Blue, Yellow, Amber - depends on venue and music. Choose wickedly complementary colours - i.e., 180 degrees apart in the hue spectrum). Make a button start a sync'd rainbow effect and another that has an offset one (rolling rainbow). If your lights have a colour roll feature make sure you have quick access to that. Separate the rig into odds and evens and have intensity bumps for both pairs. Use complimentary colours in each. Give yourself a button that strobes the entire rig (or just the back lights) - always handy at the end of a song. Keep yourself a handle that brings in a base wash of (say) blue that you can restore to between songs and during down times. Here are two videos that might be of interest to you - both advertizing features of our own console called Cognito. This one is called busking. This one is on how to reuse a four cue chase over and over again all night long.
Break a leg.

Sorry for not specifying what kind of rig it is.
It will mostly be rock/metal music.
The rig consist of movingheads, LED's (RGBW), strobes, and some dimmers

I usually set a few basic led chases in a few different color combos first. Once I have some basic flashy stuff going I'll start on my focus points and such for movers and then I'll start making some longer scenes/stacks for more specialized stuff. Mostly my process is get the simplest stuff done first since I can usually knock out a lot of stuff quickly and then guarantee that no matter what else happens I can at least do something for the show. I do the more showy stuff later so that I can use how ever much time I have left to get that done.

Don't come in without a show file with your favorite effects and palettes. Some boards require it more than others, but a template file is golden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back