What do you hate about your light board?

Well, it's not much more difficult to just press 1 [THRU] 400 [AT] 0 [ENTER]. Or, when programming, bring up a previous blackout cue.

It's a little more difficult to do that ;)

When I'm programming an ETC Express/ion and I need a full blackout cue, I just hit the clear button above the faders (takes the console out of cue) and then record that as the next cue. Works for me and it's easy.
I don't think DBO being activated and then recording a cue would record the cue as a blackout. It would simply record the cue as what 'would' be up on stage. I believe this is correct... Someone correct me if it isn't. More along those lines -- does the level of the GM get written into a cue? I would think that if you brought everything to full, took the GM to 88% and recorded it as a cue, then ran the cue with the GM at 100%, the lights would be at 100%, not 88%.
That would REALLY make my life easier for when the director or lighting designer says "Ok, I want the next cue to look exactly like the last cue, only about half as bright."

I'm a little confused why you have to use the OE to edit your cues on an express. I understand the labeling portion but why the editing?

Wow I have not followed this thread!

You have to use the OE if you want to edit and take something out. You can add things to a cue on the console you just can't remove anything without deleting the cue and starting over.

I don't think DBO being activated and then recording a cue would record the cue as a blackout. It would simply record the cue as what 'would' be up on stage. I believe this is correct... Someone correct me if it isn't. More along those lines -- does the level of the GM get written into a cue? I would think that if you brought everything to full, took the GM to 88% and recorded it as a cue, then ran the cue with the GM at 100%, the lights would be at 100%, not 88%.
That would REALLY make my life easier for when the director or lighting designer says "Ok, I want the next cue to look exactly like the last cue, only about half as bright."

I'm pretty sure (at least on an Innovator 600) that you can't use the blackout button to record a blackout cue. However, I believe that the GM does alter the contents of the cue being recorded (i.e. pulling it to 0 for a blackout.) It's been almost a month since I've used it, so I may be wrong.

Stupid menue layout, stupid assigns, stupid recording, and it has a button that TURNS EVERY LIGHT OFF!!! Enough Said!

Yup, that would be your BO button, and I couldn't imagine the express without one! As of yet, only one show has been run on that board using cues. I usually run everything off of submasters and individual channel faders. I need that blackout button. .1 seconds! I know I can't slide the GM that fast!;)

Sounds like he is old school like me. I have never written a cue list on an express or expression. I'm an old two scene guy and am used to not having the luxury.

It's a little more difficult to do that ;)

When I'm programming an ETC Express/ion and I need a full blackout cue, I just hit the clear button above the faders (takes the console out of cue) and then record that as the next cue. Works for me and it's easy.
I just tried it on the ETC EOL...
it records as if the GM is at full...
HOWEVER, you can press [Enter][Enter] to select all the currently captured channels, and then use the wheel/trackpad....

i just started designing at a high school that built a new theater. And they put in an express 12/24 with emphasis. Although it doesn't bother me too much, being that i only do 1 show year on it. The one thing that bugs me the most is that there is no hard button for Dimmer. I use an express 72/144 at my regular theater, and i'm so used to having the dimmer button next to the channel button. Instead its Channel and Fixture. and the Dimmer button became a soft key. Other than that its been a good console for us so far. They've only had it for 3 years now.

The two theatres where I do most of my lighting designs use the EDI Bijou. There are two primary things that I dislike:

1) You cannot record/link effects to cues, only submasters.
2) Unlike the predecessor board, when editing a cue, you cannot use the channel faders to grab a level and bring it down. All reductions in level have to be done via the keypad.

Bill

Hi Bill,
If you want to tie an effect to a cue on the Bijou you can write 2 macros (one to load the effect to a sub and one to unload it) then go to the cue list screen and assign the macro to the cue you want the effect active in and then assign the second macro to the cue you want it off. Make sure the effect sub is up.

Unless you are using the CF all the bijou's outputs are HTP.

If you ever need any help with the Bijou, feel free to give us a call here at the factory (503) 645-5533

Tracy Underhill
EDI

Last edited:
I don't know.
Apparently, my laptop's Operating System is not 'adequate' for the Innovator Off-Line editor.
(Apparently, someone at Levitron needs to get Windows 7)

Anyway, this is something that you should be able to test your self, just find the Off-Line software.
Innovator Series > Entertainment Lighting Controls > Commercial Lighting > All Leviton Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

Apparently, someone at Leviton also should consider investing in Vista. The Innovator's offline editor wasn't compatible with it. I'll try this little trick the next time I use the board itself.

as far as not compatable all of windows stuff is backwards compatable, you just need to select to run in (x) operating system, if i remember right you can run in xp, 98, or 95 mode just the individual program.

as far as not compatable all of windows stuff is backwards compatable, you just need to select to run in (x) operating system, if i remember right you can run in xp, 98, or 95 mode just the individual program.

right click -> detect compatability issues
proxy.php

And it seems the levitron works the same way.

More along those lines -- does the level of the GM get written into a cue? I would think that if you brought everything to full, took the GM to 88% and recorded it as a cue, then ran the cue with the GM at 100%, the lights would be at 100%, not 88%.

The Strand 500-series desks have an option in the setup screen (IIRC!) which says something like "GM level affect RECORD" and you can switch it on if you want it....very useful.....

However, our 520 has just been replaced with an ETC Ion and the only two things I'm not loving right now are:
1. The ability to alter an effect specific to one unit - if I have all the Macs doing circles, I can't make one do smaller circles to avoid set/audience/whatever within that effect - it has to have its own effect which specifies a smaller circle. The 500-series desks could do that with ease....although I believe this is something a future software upgrade will hopefully include.
2. The lack of a DMX in. We often used to hook up a "handles" desk for plotting sessions with certain designers who liked to be able to shove faders - it's not a huge deal but it'd be nice.

Other than that the Ion is proving to be all we hoped it would be!

My goodness, why don't you write cues?!?

Sounds like he is old school like me. I have never written a cue list on an express or expression. I'm an old two scene guy and am used to not having the luxury.

I have used cues for one show so far. I would actually love to use cues for every show! The TD/director/drama teacher doesn't want me to program cues and somebody else run them because she believes that the less inexperienced techs need to know what happened and what had to be done when you pressed the GO button. I am all for them. She's starting to give me a little more slack, so I will start using them more often I think.

Last edited:
I have used cues for one show so far. I would actually love to use cues for every show! The TD/director/drama teacher doesn't want me to program cues and somebody else run them because she believes that the less inexperienced techs need to know what happened and what had to be done when you pressed the GO button. I am all for them. She's starting to give me a little more slack, so I will start using them more often I think.

Yeah I can agree with that to an extent. In a high school, anyone involved with the lighting should be well-rounded. Ideally, each student should be given the chance to program the light board, run it manually and run it off a cue stack -- because let's face it. Manual control is a dying art, everyone uses cues these days.

So I agree as long as the teacher's plan is "run manual first, then learn programming, then learn to run cue stacks". That process shouldn't take too long to accomplish either.

Many people see running lights off a go button as the easy way, but in reality, getting it all programmed and timed properly is a difficult task. Arguably more difficult than pushing faders up, because with manual control you have a lot more leeway. When you're working with cues, you have to have those times just right because in many cases you are committed to them come showtime. IMO, everyone should learn it all for the full experience.

Les, I completely agree. Couldn't have put it better myself. I learned that programing cues is also difficult in its own way. Well put! Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back