What is it? #687B

Old style batten clamp.jpg

Here's another version of the device.

It hangs/mounts to the top pipe on which a drop/cyc is hanging. If the drop/cyc has a bottom pipe, the clamps (spaced evenly along the top pipe) can pickup the bottom pipe allowing the drop to use half the height to get out of sightlines. Very useful in houses with less then adequate grid height. Care must be taken to not gather too much fabric when you clamp the bottom pipe, else the clamp can pinch and tear the drop.

It hangs/mounts to the top pipe on which a drop/cyc is hanging. If the drop/cyc has a bottom pipe, the clamps (spaced evenly along the top pipe) can pickup the bottom pipe allowing the drop to use half the height to get out of sightlines. Very useful in houses with less then adequate grid height. Care must be taken to not gather too much fabric when you clamp the bottom pipe, else the clamp can pinch and tear the drop.

That sounds like what I need at school. Pathetic grid height.

Yup. Opera clamp.
So a piece of hardware to aid in westcoast ing? Or, actually, trip ping a drop?

The picture that MPowers posted is of a batten clamp or "drop holder".

But I'm not convinced either is what STEVETERRY's picture is. How would one get it onto the 1.75” OD (pipe?), except to slide it from one end?

Last edited:
Well
I thought it dates from a time when the top of your painted drop was a 1x3 batten ( or a pair of them sandwiching the drop). To attach this to the pipe you would clamp the 1x3 between the big jaw af the hardware device.

So it is a piece of hardware to aid in hanging a drop which is attached to a wooden batten.

That said, I am not totally happy with my answer, and I agree that mounting these on a pipe batten would be somewhat problematic. but somehow all of my old stagecraft books have been replaced with texts on lighting and software ( except for my third edition of Parker and Smith Circa 1974. - and it does not have an image of it. If I could just find my second edition... sometimes this board makes me feel really old )

The picture I posted is exactly what you have described. It allowed drops to be hung in a hemp house without a pipe batten on free ends the lift lines, only the clamps at the ends of the ropes. As the batten was indeed a 1x3 sandwich attached to the drop, the drop was rolled up as it flew in and another drop could be attached in seconds, a complete drop to drop "quick change". When shows toured by RR car, long and skinny was the size and type of package used.

I could be wrong but I think the device the OP pictured is the same thing for use in a CW house with pipe battens. They would be installed permanently on the pipe and when a drop was to be hung, 4 hands, 4 minutes and it's up (or down). Steve please correct me if I'm wrong.

The picture I posted is exactly what you have described. It allowed drops to be hung in a hemp house without a pipe batten on free ends the lift lines, only the clamps at the ends of the ropes. As the batten was indeed a 1x3 sandwich attached to the drop, the drop was rolled up as it flew in and another drop could be attached in seconds, a complete drop to drop "quick change". When shows toured by RR car, long and skinny was the size and type of package used.

I could be wrong but I think the device the OP pictured is the same thing for use in a CW house with pipe battens. They would be installed permanently on the pipe and when a drop was to be hung, 4 hands, 4 minutes and it's up (or down). Steve please correct me if I'm wrong.

That is correct. The 1.75" round hole suggests 1-1/4" sch 40 pipe, which was used in various theatre applications before 1-1/2" took over.

ST

That is correct. The 1.75" round hole suggests 1-1/4" sch 40 pipe, which was used in various theatre applications before 1-1/2" took over.

ST
Interesting, I wonder if that has anything to do with this new facility:
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/stage-management-facility-operations/28428-new-school.html
Tex, in posts #64 and #67 has a hanging position with 1-1/4" pipe instead of 1-1/2" and mega-claws don't work with it.
I wonder if somewhere along the line a designer picked up an older standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back