Control/Dimming what is this and how do i program it

mcanaan

Ok so I am a high school student and I do lighting for my theater. I would like to program presets for the house lights but I could not figure out the box. My question is dose anyone no were I can find a manual for the box or better yet tell me how to do it.
-What I want-
1. House at full
2. House to half
3. Show mode all lights out
4. House at full work lights on (dimmers 31-96 at 30%)
securedownload-1.jpegsecuredownload.jpeg

Thats a strand system, not sure of the model. Ususally the presets are set and changed by whoever installled or services the system; they use a laptop plugged into the card. Could be wrong here, but that is how it is often done with systems i have met. Why as a student are you messing with presets? Usually these systems are tied into building energy management systems are are set the way they are for good reasons. I would talk to an administrator before you try to play with anything.

That's a Strand Outlook style station with an Digital Eviron Rack (it looks like) I don't really remember how to program them to be honest, but it wasn't that complicated

I did find this link to a cut sheet about the station. But I don't know if it will help you much.
http://www.strandlighting.com/clientuploads/directory/downloads/outlookdigital_datasheet.pdf

Please be aware though, there were two types of stations from Strand that looked the exact same - Outlook and System Wide Control - they didn't program the same and I don't know which one you have there...

If it's Outlook, you have the ability to record to the pushbuttons without any other software or tools.

The steps for programming are in this document: http://www.strandlighting.com/clientuploads/directory/downloads/OutlookProgramming.pdf

You'd turn the lights on with your console, then go through the steps to record those presets to pushbuttons. I've seen some weird lighting installs with caveats before so I can't 100% guarantee it's that simple, but with any luck it will be.

There's probably even a way to program the sliders through the interface without needing a laptop and special software, but you'd probably have to call Strand at 1.214.647.7880 to find out. Otherwise if they don't have an answer for you, call Greg Becker at Grand Stage (Chicago) and see if he knows anything. If there's anyone outside of Strand who would know, it's Greg.

That station is probably outlook. It could also be premiere, but there would be another can mounted on the wall (probably near the dimmers) that will say “premiere” across it. if it is outlook, one of the links above is for the programming manual. If you have any questions, just give us a call.

Why do you need to reprogram it? Having been a high school teacher I get a little nervous when students want to start reprogramming things that were permanently installed. There is a reason things were programmed the way they are now. We weren't there and we don't know what those reasons were. I'm not trying to insult your experience or age here, you probably know what you are doing, but what we don't know is what the original installer was doing or thinking. So move forward VERY carefully and discuss this fully with your teacher and custodial staff, you could be kicking a hornets nest without knowing it.

That station is probably outlook. It could also be premiere, but there would be another can mounted on the wall (probably near the dimmers) that will say “premiere” across it. if it is outlook, one of the links above is for the programming manual. If you have any questions, just give us a call.
Strand Tech Support
1-800-478-7263

Why do you need to reprogram it? Having been a high school teacher I get a little nervous when students want to start reprogramming things that were permanently installed. There is a reason things were programmed the way they are now. We weren't there and we don't know what those reasons were. I'm not trying to insult your experience or age here, you probably know what you are doing, but what we don't know is what the original installer was doing or thinking. So move forward VERY carefully and discuss this fully with your teacher and custodial staff, you could be kicking a hornets nest without knowing it.

How about incorrect labels, or such minimal programming that we can only use "hovse at half", or "house out" during events, because of other lights on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back