Sound f/x What USB Output Device Do You Use From Your CPU?

Hey folks, just finished my first year at a regional semi-professional theatre in New Jersey as their sound designer/ engineer (we'll use the title loosely) after being out of the biz for about 10 years (spent those 10 years and currently involved in emergency services). I know, I have a lot to catch up on. We currently use an older version of Show Cue System (version 9) and are shortly to upgrade to Version 11. We have a standard desktop CPU that I at least bought a Radial AV2 DI for input to the console to kill the buzz and give actual stereo (last guy thought a 3.5mm to single XLR adapter was good enough).

Looking to do more with SCS for the shows as I know it can do quite a bit, so what type of output device (USB I'm assuming) would you recommend from my CPU to send balanced audio to multiple speakers and works well with Show Cue System ( i.e. point of sound speakers, surround speakers, maximum of 6 to 8 speakers)? Fairly small budget here, as I usually donate my pay for each show back into upgrading equipment(thankfully I have a good full-time job and I'm single, lol). Any help and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Start by looking at these interfaces. After you find one that looks good to you; check Craigslist if used is an option. Though, be sure to test it before money changes hands.

Presonus Audiobox 1818
M-Audio M-Track Eight, Profire610, Profire2626
Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, Scarlett 18i20

Then, if you are also are looking for a snake on the cheap to connect to the interface try Monoprice.

Snake Cables - Monoprice.com

Cheers!

Lakota

Users who are viewing this thread

Back