What would you suggest? I need scrollers for I-Cues

ccm1495

What would you suggest?

At my high school I am looking into getting gell scrollers for our 4 icues. I was looking for opinions on what you would suggest that would work best with icues. This year we may have a some money. So we where thinking that we might have money for more icues or other intelligent fixtures or mirrors.

Ideally you should look into getting SeaChangers to use with your fixtures with i-Cues. These are more expensive, but are really the best solution.

If you can't afford seachangers then you will need to find scrollers that either have a front accessory slot or can have an accessory holder attached.

Ideally you should look into getting SeaChangers to use with your fixtures with i-Cues. These are more expensive, but are really the best solution.

If you can't afford seachangers then you will need to find scrollers that either have a front accessory slot or can have an accessory holder attached.

I believe that there is an i-Cue bracket available to enable you to use it with any scroller. Personally, I am a big fan of Apollo's Smart Color Pros so I would go ahead and get those and the bracket. I also really like Wybron's ColorRams but by the time you add in the power supply, you might as well spend a little extra and get Sea Changers.

I have personally used the Forerunner and the extension bracket, so I know that works. I would guess, since the extension bracket is somewhere between 2-3 inches, you could go with a SmartMove or a ColoRam as well. For anything much bigger, such as a CXI or the sorts, you are going to need to use an accessory slot on the front of the scroller to put the ICue in. SeaChangers would be ideal, but they are much more expensive. I would also suggest DMX iris for your units as the next step. A moving, color changing, irising unit is a fantastic thing to have in a rig.

I have personally used the Forerunner and the extension bracket, so I know that works. I would guess, since the extension bracket is somewhere between 2-3 inches, you could go with a SmartMove or a ColoRam as well. For anything much bigger, such as a CXI or the sorts, you are going to need to use an accessory slot on the front of the scroller to put the ICue in. SeaChangers would be ideal, but they are much more expensive. I would also suggest DMX iris for your units as the next step. A moving, color changing, irising unit is a fantastic thing to have in a rig.

At the coast of a Sea Changer, DMX, iris, and a iCue, it's be cheaper to buy an all in one Design Spot from what i recall their pricing to be. and then you have prisms multiple pattern wheels and many other nifty things.(1300) i think is what the Base "pro" units are at. Granted all those things separate though allow for more flexibility, and All-in-one smart lights are quite heavy.

At the coast of a Sea Changer, DMX, iris, and a iCue, it's be cheaper to buy an all in one Design Spot from what i recall their pricing to be. and then you have prisms multiple pattern wheels and many other nifty things.(1300) i think is what the Base "pro" units are at. Granted all those things separate though allow for more flexibility, and All-in-one smart lights are quite heavy.

Also remember that a Design Spot is a 250 watt Arc Light, based around an MSD250 bulb...
A conventional fixture with an iCue, is usually based around a 575watt Tungsten Bulb...

Basically, the direct 'comparisson' to a Conventional with an iCue, Iris, Scroller, etc... Is something more like a Vari*Lite VL1000... You'll see that is is still infinitely cheaper to stick 'accessories' in your Source 4/Strand SL/etc

Ymou would also be looking at a completely different type lamp that will be a diffferent temp. Also you get into repair and maintenance issues wth a mover. An ellipsoidal with all the toys is more versatile, you can add or subtract the toys to fit whatever you are doing.

An addendum to mstaylor, in addition to adding or subtracting as needed, if a part of the mover dies the whole mover may be DOA. If one part of an ERS with "toys" dies, you might have a spare in storage to replace it with, or at least get by with.

We are now seriously considering buying some apolo smart srollers for our icues.

I just want to check a few things......

I will need :
Icue exention bracket
scrollers
power supply
cables

Right. ... I am mainly asking because I want to make shure that all i need is the extention bracket to phisical mount the scrollers.

Thanks in advance!:grin:

We are now seriously considering buying some apolo smart srollers for our icues.

I just want to check a few things......

I will need :
Icue exention bracket
scrollers
power supply
cables

In general, yes, you have everything you need. However, are you getting Smart scrollers or the new Smart PRO? The PRO is considerably thicker (almost an inch) and as I have never used one with an ICue, I cannot say for certain that it will fit. If you are not sure about it, I would ask your dealer for a sample to try it out for yourself first, or at the very least, a guarantee that you can return them if they don't work.

Make sure you get plenty of 4-pin cable of different lengths so that you can set them up in many different configurations depending on the show. Apollo Smart scrollers are a good choice in this application because the power supplies are compatible with Rosco's ICues, thus making cabling easier. Just make sure you get a power supply large enough to power the number of units you have, and perhaps more for future expansion, if you can afford it. Depending on the size and configuration of your theater and the number of units you are getting, you might also want multiple PSUs to make cabling easier. One for over the stage, one for front of house, etc. Generally speaking it is easier to get a little bit more money for one large purchase than trying to get more money later for smaller purchases and you will get better deals when bought all at the same time.

-Tim

Another thing to consider is when using an Icue with a scroller, you will be limited to a 19* lens tube. The Chroma Cue Broadway is listed, last I checked, as the compatible scroller, but obviously others will work.

You might also want to add a couple irises to the list if you can afford them. Even if you don't get DMX controllable irises, being able to fine tune the size of the beam from your fixture when using mirrors is nice.

Also, when you get cable, you might want to see about getting some nice short pieces to go between the scrollers and the I-Cues. As they are on the same fixture, you probably don't even need 5' of cable, so having some 3' lengths might be nice for clean cable management. No sense in having lots of dangly cable for short runs if you can avoid it.

You might also want to add a couple irises to the list if you can afford them. Even if you don't get DMX controllable irises, being able to fine tune the size of the beam from your fixture when using mirrors is nice.

Also, when you get cable, you might want to see about getting some nice short pieces to go between the scrollers and the I-Cues. As they are on the same fixture, you probably don't even need 5' of cable, so having some 3' lengths might be nice for clean cable management. No sense in having lots of dangly cable for short runs if you can avoid it.

I would have to agree ( with force ) about the issue of the DMX iris in this application. I
would argue that you should buy the iris before the scroller; so much will the flexibility of the fixture improve. Having had two of these ( with CTI irises and Wybron Forerunners )
in my FOH for going on four years; i would find them now very hard to get along without.

When my school used iCues with scrollers we used Wybron Coloram 2 scrolling units, they worked perfectly!
They have a front accessory slot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back