Wireless Which is better?

wolfman005

Hey all you DIY fixers,
A school I work with on occasion emailed me to say that a Shure PRX handheld mic got dropped and no longer works. They said that the battery compartment is cracked and the buttons have disappeared. If I can test and prove that the mic element (SM58) and the electronics work, would it be better to just buy a new case or just buy a whole new mic? It's a grade school so of course they have no budget. Come to think of it, where would I be able to find a replacement case? Google gave me this but I'm not sure how much of the case is cracked.

If the mic and electronics still work, some superglue and/or e-tape would be the cheapest. Next would be finding a broken one being sold for parts (ebay? rental house?).

The biggest question for me is what does "the buttons have disappeared" mean? It looks like the PGX only has one button on the outside. If it's that, it could be an easy fix. If the interior of the battery compartment (where, presumably, the other buttons are) is completely smashed, you might not be able to put Humpty back together again.

It's hard to gauge the right solution without knowing the exact problem....

Jen

Yes having not actually seen the Mic myself, I'm in the same position.

As far as the "button(s)" in question I was wondering about that too...the principal who emailed me is not very tech savy...

For anyone who was wondering after some testing (and discovering it was an SLX) we decided to buy a repair kit. Comes with the buttons, a battery holder, a battery holder and some other stuff. Really all they needed was the buttons. The battery case had a tiny chip but nothing noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back