Who all makes PAR cans?

The People's Republic of China (PRC; Simplified Chinese: 中华人民共和国; Traditional Chinese: 中華人民共和國; Pinyin: Zhōnghuá Rénmín Gònghéguó listen (help·info)), commonly known as China, is the largest country in East Asia. With over 1.31 billion people, it is the world's most populous country. At 9,640,821 km² (actual administered territory) or 9,676,801 km² (including claimed territory of Taiwan), it is the world's third or fourth largest country in terms of total area.[1] Its capital is Beijing.

The Communist Party of China (CPC) has led the PRC under a single-party system since the state's establishment in 1949. The PRC is involved in a long-running dispute over the political status of Taiwan. The CPC's rival during the Chinese Civil War, the Kuomintang (KMT), retreated to Taiwan and surrounding islands after its civil war defeat in 1949, and traditionally has claimed legitimacy over China and Mongolia while it is the ruling power of the Republic of China (ROC). The PRC regards the ROC claims as illegitimate. The term "Mainland China" is sometimes used to denote the areas under PRC rule, but usually excludes its two Special Administrative Regions: Hong Kong and Macau.

Due to its vast population, its rapidly growing economy, its large research and development investments and military spending, its status as a declared nuclear weapons state, and other capabilities,[2] the PRC is often considered by commentators as an emerging superpower. It is the world's fourth largest economy and second largest at purchasing power parity, and represents China as a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council and Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation.[3][4][5][6] Market-based economic reforms since 1978 have helped lift 400 million people out of poverty, bringing the poverty rate down from 53% of population in 1981 to 8% by 2001.[7] However, the PRC is now faced with a number of other economic problems, including a rapidly aging population and an increasing rural-urban income gap.

China plays a major role in international trade. The country is the world's largest consumer of steel and concrete, using, respectively, a third and over a half of the world's supply of each,[8] and it is also the second largest importer of petroleum. Globally it is the third largest importer in the world,[9] and the second largest exporter[10] counting all products. They also make Par64 cans very cheaply and sell them to BulbAmerica.

yeah I know what country china is, I'm just used to seeing "Made in China" not "Made in PRC", for all I knew PRC could be a cheap knock off od PRG.

I'm just kidding. Many products that we say are "made in china" are really made in Malaysia, Indonesia, Taiwan, Thailand, etc... These cans are really made in China. From what I can tell, they are about identical to those by American DJ and other similar consumer grade lighting companies.

There are many of the cheaper Par 64's that use DYS lamps instead of the standard Par64 sealed lamps. The DYS are small, almost round lamps that are usually 600watts and there is a built in reflector in the cap of the fixture. There are benefits to this, and these were really popular with smaller rock shows during the late 80's and early 90's. The lamps are much cheaper and to be honest, the light quality is MUCH better than 500watt standard 64 lamps. They are also much cheaper, as the lamps are less than $10. I have a few of these on my parbars, and they seem to be much more durable for touring. I bought them used almost 2 years ago, and although I do not use them that much (I use better ones more often) I have not replaced the lamps yet. They have been beaten up, toured, and rained on, and still work.

The problem, you can not change the beam angle by just changing the lamp. You would have to replace the entire reflector. Some people say they are more durable, but I have not found this to be true from personal experience. They are also about $20 each.

DYS lamps are only rated for 75 hours, a normal ANSI type FFN, 1Kw PAR 64 lamp while it’s luminous output is less is an 800 hour lamp. At 120v, the 75 hour lamp even if often dimmed will sitll need more frequent replacement than a normal PAR lamp. In other words, at least replacing all lamps each production if one wishes to depend upon them. At that point, $10.00 per lamp is not economic when shown to last what is it... about 1/9th the lamp life.

Ray lights are what the fixtures using DYS lamps or the 800w version are called. They are not just available in verry narrow spot versions these days, up to wide in beam angle is available but that’s the most common. A VNSP is not very useful if one wishes to wash the stage but as a paint brush for effect, it can be useful and that’s it’s use - a tight beam of light. The ray light has it’s place and could be housed in either a aluminum can or steel can but as detail to this lamp, it burns hot. The 600w lamp as memory serves is a dicroic coated globe capsule that returns part of the heat from the beam back into the filament. Gonna get really hot inside the fixture and that heat tends to burn up wiring fast on chap cans.

Not against ray lights, just a different animal than a PAR lamp, this much less it’s more a fixture question than lamp question. Can also put a #4552 or #4559 into the PAR 64 fixture and it’s gonna be even brighter still. Just a question of what is desired for design by way of lamps. But on the other hand what brand of fixture housing the lamp is a good question. Wouldn’t worry about what lamp goes in it yet given it’s first the fixture than the lamp at this point.

Ah! The 4559 ! What a brilliant pencil of light! (Despite the crazy wiring and age matching of lamp batches needed) Nice to hear someone still talking about them! As for "PAR Cans", that's the thing... For the most part they are just an empty can (literally.) As such, the outside attributes become more important than what's inside, as there is not much inside! The fixture takes on the behavior of whatever is stuffed inside. I have a bunch of the China cans. Actually, not that bad as they do have a rolled over front, four frame holders, and a clutched yoke. I agree with Ship that the wiring has a lot to be desired. Some of this can be helped by some squirts of high-temp GE silicon in some key locations. You defiantly want to scrap the wiring if you intend to do 4559's or any other lamp that draws more than 9 amps. The US cans tend to be a lot heavier both in gauge and weight. If you are doing shows where individual instruments are hung, they will get banged around and the US cans are better. If it's a permanent install, or they are pre-hung in a box truss, than the "can" gauge becomes less important.

As for lamps, it's interesting how they are almost commodity priced! One interesting tale: In the early 70's I purchased some Q1000NSP lamps from GE. (The order number was a goof.) They came in at a much higher price, but had a 4000 hour lifespan! Apparently intended for industrial lighting. When placed side by side with the standard theater version, you could see they were a tad dimmer, but only if your reminded yourself where they were! (Don't know if they are still in production.) Other than ones that walked or were broken, I still have some today and can't remember having a performance failure!

yeah I know what country china is, I'm just used to seeing "Made in China" not "Made in PRC", for all I knew PRC could be a cheap knock off od PRG.
You probably do however see labels that say "Made in Taiwan R.O.C."
Republic of China.

When talking about DYS versus Par lamps, I know what the hour ratings are, but that doesn't take into account the durability of touring. I have not lost a DYS in less than 100 hours and the whole time on the road. These par cans do not live in a case, nor are they hung in single or double hung truss. They are lose on a bar, and often hand with bungee cords from that side of the truck and bounce around quite a bit. As I said, I rarely use these, and my good tomcat true PAr 64 cans and lamps are hung in truss and fairly well protected. I still lose 2 Par64's to every one DYS. That includes several different manufacturers of the Par lamps. My comment was that I think that the DYS tour better, but I like the light quality of the PAr64 1000watt much better.

I am not really a fan of their beam of light, nor am I defending them. They are different, and like any other fixture, they have a place. If you buy a light from a place like PSSL (http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl...07060908224125~disp_IMG~Y~catgroup~[catGroup]) or several other places, that is what you get.

Last edited:
My comment was that I think that the DYS tour better

Quite an interesting point! I would bet no bulb manufacturer ever studied life on the road with a R&R band! I spent many years in the biz and found some bulbs excelled at life, while others with the same ratings didn't. As lamps age, their filaments get brittle and they are less likely to live through the vibration. How the manufacturer designed the lamp tube becomes real important. Also, R&R lighting can be subjected to great sound levels while the lights are on, and low frequencies can actually cause the fixtures to shake. There was a time during the 80's where we went with all GE because the Sylvanias were suffering filament sage. At that time the GE's had a center support. I still have some of these! (see pic) Don't know if that's the case anymore. Anyway, what you read and what you get are often different. I would rather have a lamp I know lasts longer then one that is spec'd longer if they are not lasting as long. Anyway, glad to hear the DYS's are holding up. I just picked up a bunch or 56's with 600 DYS in them.

Last edited:
Yep, that's also a good theater concept in saving money. Wee bit dimmer won't be noted unless in direct comparision. Got a customer for 300w/115v PAR 56 lamps also, he is no fool.

Your lamp was the:
Q1000 PAR64 NSP G.E. #43497 PAR 64, Qaurtz NSP 31x14̊/15x8̊ (HRG) 1 Kw PAR64 cc-6 MOL 6" GX 16d Keep Dry, Use Screen Shatter Risk 3,000̊K 200,000C/19,400 L 4,000hr

What you expected was the:
FFP G.E. #13229 PAR 64/2, Qaurtz NSP 26x14̊/14̊x7̊ (HRG) 1 Kw PAR64 cc-6 MOL 6" GX 16d Keep Dry, Use Screen Shatter Risk 3,200̊K 330,000C/12,000L 800hr

I stock both types for resale, others have the same idea in a longer life lamp. If you ain't rock & roll with a budget, there is better things to spend money on than what you will get used to and be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back