Auto-tune and new music

Catwalker

I'm curious. I hear a lot of people say new music is all auto tuned, or the singers aren't actually singer, just lip-synching. I've wanted to know for awhile: is there any truth to that? If you did sound for a gig that wanted to do that, is that the kind of thing they make you swear to never reveal? Finally, how many of you have actually done gigs like that?

Basically, I'm wondering how prevalent lip-synching, and other musical "cheating" is these days.

Track shows are very common even for the small up and coming bands. Many bands perform with a click track in their ears and have backing tracks for most of the music. There are auto-tunes out there that will pitch shift as needed. I personally have not used these or had a show come in that does to my knowledge but the technology does exist. Most people thought that use autotune though treat it like an effect, not a crutch.

Just to give you an idea as to why this is happening more and more... simply put music is more complicated to produce then it used to be. In the studio bands will layer tracks on tracks to get what they want. They might have the sound of 3 guitars and 2 basses and a drum kit that has 20 pieces. Because they can't tour with that they devide up the tracks and take it on the road with them. The drummer hits go on Ableton Live, everyone starts playing the "front" parts... audience does not know the difference.

I'm sure you know that the Beatles never performed live from 1966 onward. Their music after this point was simply not able to be easily performed live without 10 musicians and a ton of gear onstage. These days they would have performed Sgt. Peppers live with backing tracks... no questions about it.

I've done monitors for a lot of bands that use tracks. It can work rather well. It can help "fill" the mix a bit more. There is really no secret that this is happening if you just look at the stage. Do you hear a chorus of 20 people singing that you can't see? Do you hear 4 guitars and only see one? As far as the "lipsync" thing... I'm sure it does happen. If you are touring and playing 200 nights a year while blasting your voice for 2.5 hours a night your going to have a bad day every once in awhile. If you can avoid cancelling the day because you voice is shot its better for everyone involved.

To add to what Footer said, my own church band just recently started using IEM's with a click and probably about 50% of the time a track running concurrently. The click tightens up the less tempo-saavy musicians in the group and helps to keep everybody on the map. The tracks do expand the sound and enhance the overall musical aesthetic because there's just some things that can't be done live with 8 local musicians.

As a musician and a tech I see both sides of the argument. I personally don't enjoy playing with the click because I feel it takes away a lot of the energy that comes from a live performance, but I am used to using a metronome to practice with coming from a classically trained background. The click makes you listen to the click more than the other musicians and I think something is lost there. But there are definite advantages to using a click since you can then also sync with timecode and apply that to all sorts of crazy effects and gizmos.

As far as autotune goes, there are many flavors. I guess at this point that a majority of albums feature at least some manner of pitch correction since the music industry has been moving steadily in the past 50 years or so to a very heavily produced, image-conscious product-focused business. Less emphasis on artistic talent and technical ability than marketability. Which, it is what it is. I'm not saying today's music is crap, but the idea of what is "pop" has changed a lot since the Beatles.

I heard from a friend who worked with some guys who engineered albums for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (arguably one of the best orchestras in the US, if not the world) and they said their albums go through at least 500 edits and usually a lot more. So no genre is immune to the use of tech. It's in the studio, the album guys know how to use it and the good ones can use it to the point you don't know it was ever used.

The fact is as recording technology has improved, so has the technology to enhance the actual quality of the music produced beyond what the performers abilities might actually be able to do and we now are at a point where our ears as a group are tuned to hearing music a specific way. The perfection of these recordings can occasionally exceed what is physically limited by the performers. Now whether you consider that cheating or using the tools we have is up to debate.

Here's an example- the natural horn was the predecessor to the French horn. It had no valves and to play in different keys, you'd actually have to remove certain pieces of pipe and replace them with pipes of differing lengths in order to put the instrument in the correct key. Eventually, someone found that you could use valves to change the flow of the air through different length pipes to almost instantaneously change the key of the instrument, thus allowing all the notes to be accessible without carrying around a few pounds of copper.

You could argue that the natural horn player was more gifted since it was harder to do. But there are now pieces of music that are not possible to perform on natural horn because of the lack of ability in changing keys quickly. The way I see it, technology in a rack is no different than putting valves on the horn. The people that use it and use it well will always stand out as being innovative and unique and humans will create art with whatever they can find anyway. There will always be people who "cheat", to paraphrase Futurama, Hell is full of ten-year-olds who wanted to get really good without practicing.

Slightly related to the topic:

Many years ago, when playing around with audio gear was still just a hobby for me, I did a small recording project for a friend's girlfriend (at the time). She had some typical karaoke backing music (in versions with "scratch vocals" and also fully-instrumental versions), and wanted to make a solo demo CD to showcase her singing talent.

I hate to say it, but she really didn't have much talent. When there wasn't a pre-recorded melody mirroring her lead vocal part, her pitch was all over the place. I didn't have any auto-tune in my VST library (and still don't), so the first few takes were totally unusable.
Despite her objections and her taking offense, I eventually resorted to playing the pre-recorded scratch vocals through her headset during recording (to keep her more-or-less in-key and in-tune), but then composing the final production mix only from her recorded track and the fully-instrumental karaoke tracks.

I don't know, is that "cheating", or not? Did her demo CD give the impression that she can do something which, in reality, she can't really do? Did I commit a blasphemy by using that recording technique? Or is that accepted just as much as magazine models painting their real face with deceitful beauty cosmetics, and then having it photoshop'd even further?

What if I would have put the scratch vocal in the final mix too, very quiet but heavily chorused and flooded in stereo reverb? ...To detract attention somewhat from the amateur singer? :D (That's a little rhetorical -- The real answer is had I done it, I'd be the one singing soprano now, 'cause she'd have ripped my nuts off at the mere suggestion!)

And then there are producers who don't know when not to fiddle. Last year, Aretha Franklin's cover of "Rolling in the Deep" had obvious auto-tune. I cringed when I heard it. She's a legend and has probably never sung an off note in her life. At first, there were murmurs that maybe she'd lost it at age 72. Then she sang it flawlessly, live on Letterman, without any technical assistance.

There's another good example with Aretha from the movie, "The Blues Brothers". There are a few moments during the "Think" number where the dancing gets off from the music. Turns out they had her lip sync it and record the track in studio for the film and she had difficulty adjusting to that. Aretha, IMHO, is a goddess of music but that's an example where tech wasn't a crutch, but a hinderance. I'm guessing their sound design wasn't down with getting vocals while they were moving? Dubbing it would definitely be easier in general I'd guess. I watched the commentary about this several years ago, I can't remember anything more than what the wikipedia article describes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Think_(Aretha_Franklin_song)#In_popular_culture

I guess then I should clarify my opening statement. What I was referring to was not click tracks, or even backing tracks. I think that backing tracks allow for more instruments to be present than normal, and thus add to the performance (especially if it's a solo artist). Bands using a click track is fine by me, it's just like a metronome. I personally hate playing with a metronome, but some do really need it.

I guess my objection is largely to performers who are not actually singing at a performance, just lip-lynching. To me, that largely detracts from the artistry.

A hypothetical example, similar to the one given by @TCJ. Even I could then become a musician, simply by recording music that is terrible, and then using tech to clean it up, and autotune it. (I'm not a very good singer at all). Then, I could go onstage and merely lip-synch to that. People would think I have some talent. It's ridiculous to think about. When I go to a concert, I have paid money to see and hear the talent. (And the lighting rig, but that's not the point!). When I pay money for that, I want to hear someone who is a much better musician than I am, not merely someone who can afford a better production staff and better gear than me.

A lot of the lip syncing accusations are simply false. Most of the time it is beleived due to the delay between when the IMAG hits the patron to when the sound hits the patron. In an arena this can be a second or two. So, the patron sees the persons mouth flapping, and hears what they did a half second ago, and assumes they are lip syncing. Once again though, I'm sure it does happen. If you are selling out 40,000 seats @ a hundred bucks a piece and have 4 million on the line you best get your butt up there and perform. If you woke up that afternoon and had a sore throat and couldn't hit the notes you best have a plan B. That plan B is a choke track. You also keep that in your back pocket in case your mic dies, you swallow a bug, or whatever else happens. Our business has gotten too big and there is too much money on the line to not have a plan B in place. In reality... will the audience ever notice? Nope. Not for the arena and shed tours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back