I need some help, please

techno89

Hi,

My name is Scott. I'm 14 and I love lighting, all aspects of it, when I do a really involved design and it comes out great there is no better feeling for me. I wanted to know if any theatres in the New York area are taking in or would take in me for a learning/helping environment, my current theatre has taught me alot but I don't get a lot of experience.

Thank You,
Scott

Well I can't answer your question specifically in regards to NY theatres, but at 14, nobody except a high school is going to take you for anything. I would focus on doing the bookwork now and teaching yourself the basics, then when you're 16+ look for a place to get experience.

Heck even at 16 I couldn't find anyplace except my high school to even do so much as wind cables, but I know some people have. Make connections now, but don't expect them to have you do anything, because the last thing most pros want is a little kid running around.

haha funny you mention, my one and only connection really wanted to bring me in for his next gig, I did manage to get a job at a theatre and I've been so good at what I do I am pretty much considered their main lighting technician

Hi,

My name is Scott. I'm 14 and I love lighting, all aspects of it, when I do a really involved design and it comes out great there is no better feeling for me. I wanted to know if any theatres in the New York area are taking in or would take in me for a learning/helping environment, my current theatre has taught me alot but I don't get a lot of experience.

Thank You,
Scott

Scott,

Where in the NYC Metro area are you ? (general vicinity), so I can give you further advise as to what's local to you, and of course to alleviate the travel issues for your parents who will end up driving you. No point in recommending CW Post - Tilles Center, when you are
in central NJ, as example.

Steve Bailey
Lighting Director/Head Electrician
Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts
Brooklyn College

Scott,

Where in the NYC Metro area are you ? (general vicinity), so I can give you further advise as to what's local to you, and of course to alleviate the travel issues for your parents who will end up driving you. No point in recommending CW Post - Tilles Center, when you are
in central NJ, as example.

Steve Bailey
Lighting Director/Head Electrician
Brooklyn Center for the Performing Arts
Brooklyn College

I am in Long Island, New York, for a really serious internship/learning experience I might, be able to go into the city on the weekends some times but places closer to me would be nice, Thank you Steve!

I am in Long Island, New York, for a really serious internship/learning experience I might, be able to go into the city on the weekends some times but places closer to me would be nice, Thank you Steve!

OK, but understand that your age is going to limit what you're going to be able to do. I'm assuming 8th or 9th grade?, so the question becomes, are you currently in High School ? and is there no add'l experience and knowledge you can gain at that level ?, which is the usual place to start. Some add'l details as to that situation would be helpful.

My initial thought was 14 is a bit too young to be starting an internship or work of any kind in this field. Keeping active in school functions - Yes, but outside ?, maybe not. I don't know of any theater that can legally allow you to work and I'd have to research volunteering. My theater cannot allow you to work as you need a high school diploma to work under Civil Service rules, as example. About the only situation I could envision would be to have you on a site visit, with parental agreement, during a load-in, setup or actual show call, possibly repeating that for add'l events.

On the other hand and not to put a dampener on the idea, I started out moving movie projectors and tape recorders around my high school in 9th grade, moving on to lighting in 10th, so I was 15, BUT it stayed in HS as I had too many other educational commitments at that point to branch out into the "real" world. That may well be something you will face as a reality.

Just as a question, have you discussed this with your parents ?, as I'd be curious to know their thoughts.

OK, but understand that your age is going to limit what you're going to be able to do. I'm assuming 8th or 9th grade?, so the question becomes, are you currently in High School ? and is there no add'l experience and knowledge you can gain at that level ?, which is the usual place to start. Some add'l details as to that situation would be helpful.

My initial thought was 14 is a bit too young to be starting an internship or work of any kind in this field. Keeping active in school functions - Yes, but outside ?, maybe not. I don't know of any theater that can legally allow you to work and I'd have to research volunteering. My theater cannot allow you to work as you need a high school diploma to work under Civil Service rules, as example. About the only situation I could envision would be to have you on a site visit, with parental agreement, during a load-in, setup or actual show call, possibly repeating that for add'l events.

On the other hand and not to put a dampener on the idea, I started out moving movie projectors and tape recorders around my high school in 9th grade, moving on to lighting in 10th, so I was 15, BUT it stayed in HS as I had too many other educational commitments at that point to branch out into the "real" world. That may well be something you will face as a reality.

Just as a question, have you discussed this with your parents ?, as I'd be curious to know their thoughts.

I actually managed to get a job at a local theatre on a stipend but its more like volunteering. I would be fine with the hs education but my hs has a terrible theatre program and their theares (not even really) and what they teach won't really help at all with current lighting technology. I graduate from middle school this year, in HS next year

Scott,
Im 15, iv been doing this for 10 years and still not allowed to do what you would like to do..now, thats not to say it cant be done, listen to the pros like i have done and learn a lot of things and gradually work your way up. It's not an easy thing to do especially at a high school with administrators jumping down your throat. (at least mine do)

My advice is to not jump the gun and try and do too much at one time.

My advice is to not jump the gun and try and do too much at one time.

This is really good advice IMO. Learn to make magic on the high school's minimal and possibly archaic equipment. Believe it or not, it will make you a better technician. Almost anyone can make something spectacular happen using lots of high tech equipment, but it takes a truly gifted technician to make this happen on a shoestring budget. That is a very marketable skill to have - especially since in the pro world, you will likely encounter this same problem. You will not be very useful in many cases if all you know how to use are Source Fours and ION consoles and become confused and disoriented when faced with 20 year old Colortran ellipsoidals and a 2-scene preset console.

For now, my advice would be to stay at your current level, learn what you can in school and focus on that, while picking up community theatre gigs on the side if possible. You will have plenty of time for the rest when you're a little older and more experienced in the basics. Also, try not to just focus on lighting. Try to learn everything, from set design, to sound, to costumes. Knowing all the fields will make you a better lighting designer.

You will not be very useful in many cases if all you know how to use are Source Fours and ION consoles and become confused and disoriented when faced with 20 year old Colortran ellipsoidals and a 2-scene preset console.
\

This just stinks. Thats mostly all of what I have had to work with... 1 venue had a 12 chan 2 scene preset, everything else has been Ion/S4 or Congo Jr/S4... I used a 360Q once! Anyhow, to the OP, It is a very good idea to stick with your HS program, even if it stinks. Even if you could get pro work, it would take up a lot of your time, and you need to do well in school so as to get into a legit good college program.

This just stinks. Thats mostly all of what I have had to work with... 1 venue had a 12 chan 2 scene preset, everything else has been Ion/S4 or Congo Jr/S4... I used a 360Q once!

I'm sure that if you volunteer around enough, you will find someone who doesn't have an Ion running Source Fours.
:)

Heck, buy an old 360Q on ebay for about $50 and learn everything you can about it. Aside from a Source Four, it is the second most likely fixture that you will run across. Knowing how to repair/clean/bench one is definitely a good thing to know!

Hey Scott,

You're never too young or old to learn anything....Don't listen to people who say THEY "wouldn't ever hire anyone so young". As long as you realize your ability, are willing to work for free for experience, and respect everyone you work with (employer, co-workers, managers, EVERYONE) they will respect you and you will have a great career in this business.

I was running union crews in NYC at 16 years old. At 21 I Video Directed my first show at Radio City Music Hall (). I'm 24 now and currently production managing 2 hugely successful touring dance shows with over 50 local and road crew working for me each weekend. So, trust me, I know EXACTLY where you're coming from.

Be aware that you will ALWAYS face adversity....from the person who always thinks they know how to do something better, to the union guy who doesn't want to take orders from someone "young enough to be my grandson" (which I've heard haha).

My offices are in NYC and when I'm not on the road I do shows here in Manhattan. I'd love to have you stop by some time and meet the lighting guys. PM me and I'll give you a list of shows and where they are.

Good Luck!

Regards,
Jeff

Hey Scott,

You're never too young or old to learn anything....Don't listen to people who say THEY "wouldn't ever hire anyone so young". As long as you realize your ability, are willing to work for free for experience, and respect everyone you work with (employer, co-workers, managers, EVERYONE) they will respect you and you will have a great career in this business.

I was running union crews in NYC at 16 years old. At 21 I Video Directed my first show at Radio City Music Hall (). I'm 24 now and currently production managing 2 hugely successful touring dance shows with over 50 local and road crew working for me each weekend. So, trust me, I know EXACTLY where you're coming from.

Be aware that you will ALWAYS face adversity....from the person who always thinks they know how to do something better, to the union guy who doesn't want to take orders from someone "young enough to be my grandson" (which I've heard haha).

My offices are in NYC and when I'm not on the road I do shows here in Manhattan. I'd love to have you stop by some time and meet the lighting guys. PM me and I'll give you a list of shows and where they are.

Good Luck!

Regards,
Jeff

Just to clarify, I doubt many people here are saying the OP is too young to learn anything/know what they are doing. That said, no one is too old/experienced to learn something either. I think the main issue being dealt with is that a lot of places have fairly strict rules do to insurance companies wanting to limit liability, so they have rules about people being over 16/18/21 etc (for example, some insurance groups wont let anyone under 18 use a power tool, even though Im fairly sure your average 14 year old can use an electric drill). I doubt anyone is trying to discourage him from actually trying to advance in the light world, but the fact remains that at 14, you are legally mandated to attend some sort of schooling, and there are a lot of other things that you might want to experience as well. I think the main idea is to become a well rounded individual who is good at lighting, and you dont need to be designing for USAA or working at an Equity house in order to do that.

Oh, I'd say the past 2-3 years, much more seriously in the past year

Keep reading a lot of things on here as well. I have and have learned a lot.

Also, dont be afraid to make little mistakes and learn from them. Sometimes that is the best way to learn. Thats how i have learned most of the basics.

Be willing to listen intently and "Shadow" an LD rather that "Be" the LD.

We've all been were you are now and will help as much as possible.

Keep reading a lot of things on here as well. I have and have learned a lot.

Also, dont be afraid to make little mistakes and learn from them. Sometimes that is the best way to learn. Thats how i have learned most of the basics.

Be willing to listen intently and "Shadow" an LD rather that "Be" the LD.

We've all been were you are now and will help as much as possible.

Thanks, When I'm not the LD I always try to be at the theatre for the design or do the programming. Recently I was working with a pro LD from another theatre, he was the LD but I was programming for him as we went which was a helpful experience.

Scott,

Here's a quick list that Google gave me when I typed "Theater Companies on Long Island".

Theatre on Long Island, NY - Citidex Long Island

Many, especially the non-paying community theater companies, would (or might) be delighted to have you volunteering and I'd doubt there'd be any hassles about your being 14. That's how my wife got into the business when she was growing up in Glen Cove 35 years ago.

Note that times HAVE changed though and all of us who started at an early age, would run up against more roadblocks these days trying to do the same thing at your current age. Shibens recent post echoes what I was thinking and I do think it's critical that while you want to focus on lighting, remember that there really is more to life at your age then getting TOO heavily involved in lighting ONLY. Who knows, maybe it's theater you love and you end up finding a knack for carpentry. So don't fixate too much at this point. As example, when I was in high school I discovered stage lighting. I was also heavily into swimming at that point and it's the swimming, which in turn led me as an adult to take up bicycling, that gives me activities that keep me sane and an attempt at staying healthy. And this is a business that can be physically grueling, so staying healthy and fit helps you in your career. Who knew (at 15)

PM me and I'll get you my e-mail and perhaps we can get you down to Brooklyn College for a load-in for a fairly involved show, though our season is starting to wind down a bit, so it might have to wait till next season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back