Simple Control of Movers - ETC Express

I am running something similar with my expression for pixel mapping software running 12 universes of LED pixel fixtures. I am using the enttec usb pro into the computer via USB , obviously, and then just set in the program that the enttec is IN. The software has all the looks I want and the console only uses 3 chs to control it all. Ultimately just depends on what software you pick but it is possible.

Reactions: Les
I am running something similar with my expression for pixel mapping software running 12 universes of LED pixel fixtures. I am using the enttec usb pro into the computer via USB , obviously, and then just set in the program that the enttec is IN. The software has all the looks I want and the console only uses 3 chs to control it all. Ultimately just depends on what software you pick but it is possible.

Awesome! I might be picking your brain when it comes to setting this up. What software are you using? I was planning on looking at MagicQ since it's so popular but I'm open to anything since I'll basically be learning it from scratch.

I think this is a good route for me to take - my needs are fairly simple but this will allow me some flexibility with a lower over all investment.

Well the kicker is that and not by my recommendation, Madrix was the program which in a sense it is a very user friendly program once it's set up. The dongle however was 1500$ to operate the software which IMO I could of spent better but it was out of my hands.

I would look into something cheaper that works with madrix. As far as setting up the express you could make your own personality based on the amount of channels you want to use or just go channel number.

But yeah hit me up if you have any questions I'll be more then glad to give you a full breakdown of my setup as it sounds like we pretty much same setup.

Any thoughts on slaving Chamsys MagicQ or ETC's Nomad dongle to the Express? The reason I ask is because there might be no budget left for console rental. I figure I could (theoretically) slave a PC console to the Express to do all the heavy lifting with movers and simply fire 'Go' cues from the Express. I have no idea how to set this all up, but I still have a few months to learn and decide.

I would consider the dongle a personal investment, and I have the VL500's here at home to help me learn the in's and out's of programming.

It may be simpler than slaving. I expect ( but am not sure ) that the nomad and MagicQ will accept MIDI Show control messages. The Express will happily send out MIDI show control messages. So you configure the PC product to run your complex fixtures, and run the concentionals on the express. You connect a MIDI cable between the two and when ( say) you run Cuen15 on the express, cur 15 will fire on your PC.

Now the only downside is that you will need to run a separate DMX line from your PC to the complex fixtures.

It may be simpler than slaving. I expect ( but am not sure ) that the nomad and MagicQ will accept MIDI Show control messages. The Express will happily send out MIDI show control messages. So you configure the PC product to run your complex fixtures, and run the concentionals on the express. You connect a MIDI cable between the two and when ( say) you run Cuen15 on the express, cur 15 will fire on your PC.

Now the only downside is that you will need to run a separate DMX line from your PC to the complex fixtures.

Nice! Thanks for breaking it down for me! MIDI does sound simpler from a configuration standpoint.
That is a downer about having to run more DMX but I was going to have to do that anyway... The space has absolutely no DMX outputs anywhere. I do have a DFD opto-splitter kicking around if I need that. I'll probably make up some of my own cables or rent a cable package if affordable.

I also need to come up with a solution for switching/powering the fixtures in the grid. The space has ENR racks with no relay modules. Lotsa challenges! I'll probably come up with a switch panel with remote relay pack - or two - depending on how many fixtures I get and the loads I end up with.

Does anyone know what hardware I need in order to get MIDI from the Express in to Magic Q?

Ouch - might be outside of my budget - for this show, at least.

If I have an Enttec DMX USB Pro instead, I wouldn't be able to play with MIDI, but I could slave the two consoles (still using the Express as the master). At least that's what I'm getting from this, correct?

DMX USB Pro has a DMX-in, so I would come OUT of the Express, and IN to the Enttec, which would be linked to the PC via USB. The Enttec then goes OUT to ML's only. Do I need an opto-splitter between the Express and the Entec or can/should I come out of 513-1024 on the Express?

(I forget what the Express rear panel looks like, but Google shows two universes).

Thank you for everyone's help so far. I am truly a newbie when it comes to linking consoles. Played with MagicQ last night on my PC -- I was able to patch and play with some VL's with minimal instruction, so that's a win so far.

Last edited:
Hi Les.

I would suggest going with one console. I am of course biased to our MagicQ gear - you can get started with that for $15 see www.magicdmx.com It has a free 3d visualizer so you can try it out and see results. If you happened to have some Artnet to DMX devices around you can even use all 64 universes from the ChamSys software - we don't sell our gear by the universe.

All that has been mentioned is very do-able, and I have run many movers on the Express, synced to the old rack mount controllers for ML's via MSC, back about 15 years ago, but that was then. I've still got a floppy drive and my copy of etc's editor to build personalities. But it never was much fun.

I don't think you will find much difference in programming conventionals on a modern ML console these days compared to programming on the Express. You will find however that the modern gear can keep up with all the personalities for new instruments and lead you forward in your work.

When it gets to show time - you can still have conventional cues called by your SM and run as a go button press from a single cue stack, so it should not intimidate even the most novice board op.

You can even use Chamsys software (for free) to get 3d pixel mapping and a free media server( do you have a projector anywhere in the theatre?) to step it up, should you get on with it. You can run sound effects directly from the lighting cues. You can then take your knowledge further; our software is the same that is used with all of our wings, interfaces and consoles.

Ok, stopping with the sales speak now :)

Thanks for the note, Phil! I might look in to the single-console/PC route.

To be fair, I really don't have any apprehension about the software. Everything I have ever heard about MagicQ has been positive. The only area I'm shaky on is entrusting the entire show lighting to a laptop. I don't know what the theatre has, but I know that they don't have any computers dedicated to show control - so I have a hard time trusting any PC they'd give me. If I do the master-slave thing, I don't mind lending one of my computers. If it crashes, well - no intels, but at least the show is intact. I just don't want a phone call saying "well, your computer crashed so the show was cancelled (or done under worklights)". Maybe my mind can be put at ease about that ;).

Edit: From Chamsys' FAQ Page:

"MagicQ PC supports full show control and output regardless of whether a MagicQ Wing or MagicQ interface is connected. A limited number of features are only available when a MagicQ Wing or MagicQ interface is connected (not MagicDMX) – these include scheduled events, full screen Execute Window, remote control, audio input, and triggering from DMX inputs. For full details see the installation instructions." (emphasis mine).

So from that, it is looking like I cannot use an Express to control MagicQ via an Enttec DMX USB Pro (correct me if I'm wrong). As much as I like the MagicQ gear, it's not in the budget for this particular show and I'm still apprehensive about turning the complete lighting system over to my personal laptop or one of unknown origins (but I will risk movers only).

Last edited:
Just spoke with the director of the show. Looks like it won't be a problem running two consoles separately. The SM apparently prefers running lights anyway, so he will likely act as the moving light tech, running MagicQ from a laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got word on the show budget. $15,000 for the production, $100 of that is for lighting.

I forgot how incredibly cheap community theatres were. Good thing I'm resourceful (and generous - I'm providing myself and the VL lighting package for free). I guess I need to remind myself that it's a labor of love -- while also keeping in mind that this is the reason I only do about one of their shows per every 5 years.

I just got word on the show budget. $15,000 for the production, $100 of that is for lighting.

I forgot how incredibly cheap community theatres were. Good thing I'm resourceful (and generous - I'm providing myself and the VL lighting package for free). I guess I need to remind myself that it's a labor of love -- while also keeping in mind that this is the reason I only do about one of their shows per every 5 years.

100$... That doesnt even cover the hardware. You are going to have to pull a ton of favors to make that hundred work. Good Luck.

$100 sounds like a consumables only budget - lamps and gels.

I agree, and it should probably be built in to the facility budget or venue rental price. I guess they figure lamps and gels are all anyone will ever need.

Luckily I won't need much, but I may need to rent a few hundred feet of DMX a cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back