Mixers/Consoles 01V96 Questions

metti

So I am looking at purchasing a Yamaha 01V96 and I did have couple of questions which I haven't been able to answer easily through googling.
1: Does it have built in delay for the outputs so I don't need an outboard system processor for additional speakers farther from the stage?
2: Is it the same size as the original 01V (eg could I reuse a road case)?
3: Does anybody who has/use one have any opinions one way or another about it? I am particularly curious about the software it has to control it from the computer but any thought would be appreciated.
Also, it is getting on in years a bit. Do people expect a replacement within a year or so?

The O1V96 has delay on all inputs and outputs. I would say it should be here for some time yet. It fits into a unique price point with many many features. A great bang for the buck. They also just came out with some updates to the FX and such, which suggests Yamaha is still putting some thought into it. I have not taken a tape measure to it, but the old O1V and the O1V96 are very close in size, if not the same.

~Dave

I can try to put an 01V96 in a road case for an 01V tomorrow night when I'm over at the building that has both in road cases. Will you have a card in the cardslot or not, and does the old 01V in question have a card in the cardslot?

I love the 01V96, and Yamaha is definitely still keeping up with the console, they just released the VCM effects update. Does the 01V96 in question have the version 2 software update? As long as you keep your software up to date, you will have essentially the same console that Yamaha offers today - they haven't made any real hardware changes since the original 01V96 came out - the V2 and VCM versions are just software updates as far as I know, which you should be able to load to your console. Thus, I really don't see you needing to upgrade the console for a few years. We're still using original 01Vs, and they're still going for good money on ebay, so the 01V96s are probably gonna be around for a while!

01V
Dimensions ( W x H x D) 430 x 148 x 520 mm/ 16.9 x 5.8 x 20.4 in

01V96VCM
Dimensions (W x H x D) 436 x 150 x 548 mm / 17.2 x 5.9 x 21.3 in

I doubt an 01V96 will fit in an 01V case.

I am very happy with mine -- I tag-teamed with a fellow sound dad at the middle school orchestra/band recital in the spring. Had SM up on the PC. One of the really nice things about SM is the "locked" channel window -- while my partner ran the board and the "live" channel window followed him, I used the fixed window to poke around and adjust input and output channels, fiddle with delays and EQ, and set up the reverb routings during the first part of the show -- all without affecting the physical fader bank operation. We could easily double-task ... it was pretty neat.

Yes, delays everywhere! It's amazing what simple processors and software can do to what used to be a low-tech industry :)

What do I wish the board had or could do better?

1. 24 faders ... flipping banks is a bit cumbersome when you are actively adjusting > 16 input channels. I may try using the BCF2000 with it for the fall concert ... have another friend using the BCF2000 with his LS9-32, says it works reasonably well.

2. better selective safe/recall. On this board it's really restrictive for live performance scene snapshotting ... the LS9 does it better, and the M7CL even better. But you may not get full flexibility here until you hit the P1MD (Not sure -- I don't have SM installed right now to check)

3. Better meter screens on SM ... those tabbed meter sections are pathetic. But I guesss Marketing has to differentiate the products somehow ...

4. Even better, have LED meter segments on each channel, like the LS9. But again, marketing differentiation, so it will likely never happen. SM meters have a much better chance.

5. Put ALL of the board functionality on SM ... currently master fader and user layer are not supported by SM ... big inconvenience.

But, as was said above, for $2k who can complain? You can get two of these for less than a 16 channel LS9, and ten of them for the price of an M7CL .... kinda puts things in perspective. For $2k I'd say it beats the pants off any analog 16-channel board for features and convenience (sound quality aside).

It won't have a card for now but I would consider adding the ADAT one in the future. Would this require me to get a new case at that point. The current case had an cardless 01V in it. I'm glad to hear people like the SM. It seemed like a pretty good feature. I have looked at some used ones which did not have the VCM software. You make it seem like that is a free upgrade I can do. Is that the case?

It won't have a card for now but I would consider adding the ADAT one in the future. Would this require me to get a new case at that point. The current case had an cardless 01V in it. I'm glad to hear people like the SM. It seemed like a pretty good feature. I have looked at some used ones which did not have the VCM software. You make it seem like that is a free upgrade I can do. Is that the case?

You would probably need a new case if you got a card, because you'll want a custom slot in the foam for the card, especially if it's one of the ones that protrudes from the back of the console. If it's flush with the back (not sure which ones are/which ones aren't), then you may be able to reuse the case with just a little bit of foam trimming. Again, I'll check this evening to see what the fit looks like practically as far as being able to trim a little bit of foam and make it work.

The software updates are not free, especially the VCM one, to the best of my knowledge. I think that you have to purchase an upgrade for the software to get the VCM effect functionality.

So I just did some googling and it appears that getting the VCM upgrade is pretty much impossible. Instead you have to get a $900 dollar add on package. So my new question is this: If I can get an 01V96VCM brand new from a dealer for $1800 or a good condition used 01V96V2 for $1200 which should I do. Are the VCM plugins worth $600ish extra?

So I just did some googling and it appears that getting the VCM upgrade is pretty much impossible. Instead you have to get a $900 dollar add on package. So my new question is this: If I can get an 01V96VCM brand new from a dealer for $1800 or a good condition used 01V96V2 for $1200 which should I do. Are the VCM plugins worth $600ish extra?

I'd go for the V2. I really don't think that the VCM plugins are worth it unless you have specific needs for some of the effects. I've found the inbuilt effects on the 01V96V2 to be plenty. So unless you're really going for some of those specific compressors or the RevX plugin, I wouldn't go for the VCM.

Spend the "extra" 600 on the ADAT card and new case.

Tested cases last night - while it can be done with significant trimming of foam, I would not put an 01V96 in an 01V (original) case because the trimmed foam would mean not as much protection to the sides of the unit. Also, if the card is a long card (like the Cobranet card), there needs to be a slot in the foam to receive it.

The used sounds like a good deal PROVIDED the machine hasn't been dropped and there is no risk of a cracked PC board inside.

A couple years back one of these was up for sale locally -- the seller said that a couple of the channels didn't work. I called Yamaha tech support and they said it could either be something like a burnt out preamp, or could be a cracked board if the mixer had been dropped. They said some of the PC board cracks can be repaired (by manually jumpering the traces across the crack) and others would require a board replacement which is price prohibitive.

So just be sure you know enough about that used board -- or it's seller -- to feel comfortable that it's in good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back