2 Channel USB interface w/ XLR OUT

Looking to pick up an 2 channel USB interface with XLR out. Seems everyone wants TRS with this stuff... Any ideas here?

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/portable-audio-tools/usbpre2

A little spendy but it's the best 2x2 interface out there.

At a lower budget, if you are looking for output only:

http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/875/117099/USB-PUSBPlayback

I have one of these and it's awesome. It "just works" plugging into any computer. The only problem is that it says Peavey on it.

Everyone doesn't want TRS ... it's a lot more compact from a product packaging perspective. XLR inputs are more important because you may need to deliver phantom power (which TRS by spec won't allow). For outputs the main concern is to get balanced outs ... TRS or XLR behave exactly the same here.

I suggest you instead look for the best 2CH unit for your needs and then pick up a couple of TRS-to-XLRM adapters which will cost you around $10 for the pair ... it will be far more beneficial than purchasing an off brand of product with questionable audio quality, potentially at a much higher price.

I already have a sapphire 2x2. Was looking to ditch the adapters if possible.

I don't like the straight/stiff adapters because they stick out of the device a lot more than a regular plug and seem prone to damaging your equipment if someone yanks on the cord ... so I made my own pigtails with 6" of cable, and they work great. I now have at least 2 each of XLRF/XLRM to TRSF/TRSM, for any situation I walk into. I am no longer concerned about TRS outs :)

I have several different USB/Firewire Adapters. The Inputs can be either XLR (w or wo phatom power) or TRS, but all of them are TRS out. I own M-Audio FW-410 & M-Audio MBOX2 (USB).

Now, I do own an M-Audio NRV-10 (firewire). It is just a small format mixer (XLR & TRS out, variety of sends and inserts, etc) with Firewire support to capture 10 discrete tracks. Used on eBay they are about $350. It is about the footprint of a laptop with a 15" on the diagonal monitor.

The Radial USB Pro is my go-to 2 channel Output box. The attenuator is kind of a bummer, but they are my go-to interface when video people want to interface with my audio gear. They have all the features you want in a 2 channel playback box with none of the extras you'll never use, are reliable as heck (driverless!), and I have never had one fail on a few dozen rigs, each carrying 2 USB Pro's over several hundred performances combined. You pay a modest premium for its stupid ruggedness and solid reliability.

I don't like the straight/stiff adapters because they stick out of the device a lot more than a regular plug and seem prone to damaging your equipment if someone yanks on the cord ... so I made my own pigtails with 6" of cable, and they work great. I now have at least 2 each of XLRF/XLRM to TRSF/TRSM, for any situation I walk into. I am no longer concerned about TRS outs :)

We have about 30-40 TRS to XLR adapters in house all pigtailed... but trying to avoid having one more thing to deal with. Also would like a mic level output so I have a bit more control at the desk.

The Radial USB Pro is my go-to 2 channel Output box. The attenuator is kind of a bummer, but they are my go-to interface when video people want to interface with my audio gear. They have all the features you want in a 2 channel playback box with none of the extras you'll never use, are reliable as heck (driverless!), and I have never had one fail on a few dozen rigs, each carrying 2 USB Pro's over several hundred performances combined. You pay a modest premium for its stupid ruggedness and solid reliability.

Winner. Exactly what I was looking for. Gets rid of adapters and the blasted 3.5mm plug to PCDI issue. I'm buying two. THANKS!

That's a nice unit. I wish it were a bit cheaper ... for $200 you can get a lot of good 2/4-in + 2-out USB interfaces that are a lot more versatile. Having the simple and compact plug-and-play USB audio out is a nice convenience though.

Fyi, I just spotted the Whirlwind pcUSB ... about 2/3 the price of the Radial, and it also has XLR outs.

At a lower budget, if you are looking for output only:

http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/875/117099/USB-PUSBPlayback

I have one of these and it's awesome. It "just works" plugging into any computer. The only problem is that it says Peavey on it.

Late to the party, but I was very happy with the Peavey. It works happily with Mac and Windows and puts out clean, balanced audio. It can run mono or stereo and it eliminated the buzzing/grounding issues we were having running a laptop for projection and audio.

Focusrite Scarlet has a very good noise floor and works rather well enough for a reasonably priced unit. Have access to more expensive units, but I found it works just fine for many uses (including SMAART).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back