575W & 750W Source 4

malex

Can I do this? Are the 575 source 4 fixtures strictly rated for those lamps or are they interchangeable? I've been in the lighting biz for a few years now, but have never found myself in the position of mixing wattages and/or fixtures. Any experiential information will be greatly appreciated.

Re: 750W lamp in a 575W Source 4?

You should not use a 750W in the 575W only versions. I believe that if you have the 575W bodies the lamp caps actually will not accept a 750W lamp. The HPL750 Watt lamps have a small pin to prevent you from plugging them into an improperly rated base. Someone from ETC will probably stop in here tomorrow and give you a definitive answer.

You should not use a 750W in the 575W only versions. I believe that if you have the 575W bodies the lamp caps actually will not accept a 750W lamp. The HPL750 Watt lamps have a small pin to prevent you from plugging them into an improperly rated base. Someone from ETC will probably stop in here tomorrow and give you a definitive answer.

750W Lamps have a 3rd pin that prevents them from being placed in a fixture that is not rated for 750W. I have 6 Fixtures at my college right now using 750W lamps just because the extra lumens make for a very strong and powerful special. Great for creating a strong isolation on stage. Only Source 4 Revolution, Par's, ParNEL's, Zoom's and Fixed Focus fixtures can accept 750W Lamps. Source 4 Jr's and Jr Zoom's only accept the 575W lamps

Our local lighting dealer told us that there is no problem with installing a 750 into a S4 jr. You have to remove the screw to install it, but i am also curious what ETC would say about it. I know ETC will void your warranty. Also there is no where that i have seen, where they specifically that installing a 750 will create a fire hazard. The tail caps are the same, the reflectors are made the same minus the size. But if you have a s4 that has a 575 in it, and there are no screws to prevent you from installing a 750 into the lamp housing than i would say go for it.

Our local lighting dealer told us that there is no problem with installing a 750 into a S4 jr.

Find another dealer. Anyone recommending this, which is something very, very basic and is information readily available on the ETC website, can not be trusted to handle the more complicated stuff - like basic electrical safety.

And, NO, an S4 Jr. cannot handle a 750w lamp.

SB

If you want to use a 750W lamp in an older (575W) source four, you can, but you have to update the fixture. At a minimum you need to buy a new lamp base (TP-22H) that has tails rated for the higher amperage. At best, you should order the S4 retrofit kit, that comes with a few new parts for the lamp cap including the lamp retaining clip. Once you upgrade the fixture you will have to drill out a small hole to accommodate the third pin on the lamp.

As for putting 750W lamps in a S4 Jr. I don't know anything about that, and wouldn't try it unless someone from ETC told me directly that it was OK.

The following is by no means a suggestion or a proper way to do anything, it is merely the 3rd person retelling of certain comprimises made by other people. It is most certainly not the right way to do this.

You do not need to modify the cap to use a 750w lamp in the old style 575 caps. You merely need to remove the 3rd pin, something that you occasionally have to do with 750w caps depending on how well the lamps were manufactured.

Also, while the old S4's are rated for 575w, it is has been told to me that the only true difference is the fact that there's a hole for 3rd pin.

750W Lamps have a 3rd pin that prevents them from being placed in a fixture that is not rated for 750W.

Find another dealer. Anyone recommending this, which is something very, very basic and is information readily available on the ETC website, can not be trusted to handle the more complicated stuff - like basic electrical safety.

I'm with SteveB on this one. That third pin is there for a reason; To keep you from installing a lamp in an instrument that is not rated for it. Sure, you can nip the pin or drill that hole. It may work. It may not.

Just ask yourself this question: "Is someone's life worth cutting this corner?" ;)

The are one of ETC's biggest dealers......... Wonder what steve terry has to say.........

The are one of ETC's biggest dealers......... Wonder what steve terry has to say.........

ST is probably like me, in that he remembers well the practice of lamping Altman 360Q 6x12's thru 6x22's with FEL's at 1kw. Common Broadway practice for decades.

Nothing really "bad" came of it, other then fried TP22 sockets, short lamp life, fried shutters, etc... Everybody "knew" not to do this on a 6x9 or 4.5", but 6x12's and up were typical.

Thus it's probably not going to actually kill anyone to lamp an S4 Jr at 750, if you by-passed the 3rd pin issue.

But why ?. I suspect the Jr. is going to like a 750 a lot less then a 6x12 Altman liked a 1000w lamp. Smaller fixture, less convection cooling due to size, and it's not cheap to replace all the burned out parts, parts and labor, which is why I jumped on Tim (sorry 'bout that) a bit when he mentioned a shop doing it.

One would wonder if they sell these units as used ?, and if they are OK with the long term repair issues.

Steve B.

I suspect he'd say "throw away those ancient, pre-1997 Source Fours and buy new ones." Source Fours not labeled as 750 are NOT Listed for 750W. Modifying the lamp or the socket shall void the Listing.

http://www.etcconnect.com/docs/docs_downloads/miscdocs/Source_Four_Heat_Info_Update_11-2007.pdf discusses some of the heat issues.

As posted by corey, of ETC Tech Services, Germany, here:

The 750W lamps have a pin pressed or molded into the lamp base that needs to go through a hole in the light baffle. The purpose of the pin is to prevent placing the 750W bulb into a Jr fixture. The S4 fixture itself requires no other changes as the wiring and sockets of these older fixtures are rated for the higher wattage. If you are going to use the fixture on a continuous base like 10 hours a day in a museum for instance the paint could become an issue and fall off after 600-800 hours of continuous use. We have since improved the paint on fixtures to accommodate the higher temps from the 750W lamp. If you are using the fixture in a theatrical application the paint should not be an issue. Either way you would have to drill a hole in the light baffle or remove the pin from the lamp base. We also sell a retrofit light baffle kit to accommodate 750W lamps for old fixtures 7060A1033-0.
Emphasis mine.

Easy Question

This is a really silly question that I probably know the answer to but I'm still going to ask it because I have been known to be wrong at times (very rarely;))

On my 26deg. S4's Lamp Housing the number 750 appears. That means that it is a 750w fixture and can use 750w lamps correct?

P.S. is ETC's website not working for anyone else? There are no links to the consoles and many of the links for the fixtures are gone.:(

Re: Easy Question

Yep, that's what the 750 means. Funny that this came up today, as I was in the theatre earlier today with some new lighting students and had to explain that every instrument did not have a 75 degree spread. It's actually on the housing of all S4s I believe (except for the Jrs obviously).

As for the ETC website, this happened to me a few weeks ago. At the top of the page, make sure that "Entertainment" is selected, not "Architectural". I got pretty nervous when I thought that they no longer supported any of their products :).

There are some bases that are not marked that way but will still take a 750w lamp. All you have to do is remove the screw on the inside of the base so that the third "pin" on the lamp will fit into the base.

Is that safe to do that Grey Wyvern?
I would need to go look at one, but in general logic, removing a screw on something like an end cap for a Source 4, is probably not a good idea.

Is that safe to do that .....

I'm not sure honestly. I was more or less just pointing that out. But now that you mention it....

Does anyone know if it is safe? Is there really any difference in the bases that are and are not labeled 750w?

There's no problem with removing the screw to allow the use of the HPL750W in a fixture not designated "750". See this and prior posts in the same thread.

edit: merging these posts into that thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back