Automated Fixtures Advice for a beginning moving lights programmer on an ION.

silicsound

I need some advice and some tips and tricks about programming movers on an Ion. Just as a little back ground, I have programmed movers on an Ion before, but at most there were 4 movers in the show. And this time I'll be programming 20+ mac 700 and mac 1200, on a slaved Ion. My biggest concern is the time it takes to get the lights in the right position even when using focus pallets. As the designer always wants to make minute adjustments to the focus of the movers all the time. Also what is the best way to keep track of all the pallets? And how do you update a single mover in a pallet with out affecting the rest of the movers? Also are their any really useful macros or lesser known keys, kinda like fan? And might there be a part of the manual, that would have answered all these questions? :grin:

I know there is ann off line editor for the ION/EOS much like MA on PC. I would download that to start getting familiar with stuff when you do t have the luxury of having the console in front of you. I do t know if tgere is a visualizer for it. Im an MA person so im not terribly familiar with ETC off line stuff. Im sure some one on this forum who is an EOS/ION programmer can go into specifics.

I need some advice and some tips and tricks about programming movers on an Ion. Just as a little back ground, I have programmed movers on an Ion before, but at most there were 4 movers in the show. And this time I'll be programming 20+ mac 700 and mac 1200, on a slaved Ion. My biggest concern is the time it takes to get the lights in the right position even when using focus pallets. As the designer always wants to make minute adjustments to the focus of the movers all the time. Also what is the best way to keep track of all the pallets? And how do you update a single mover in a pallet with out affecting the rest of the movers? Also are their any really useful macros or lesser known keys, kinda like fan? And might there be a part of the manual, that would have answered all these questions? :grin:

As answers to 2 of the questions;

- Open up as a Tab (Browser - Virtual Controls - Direct Selects as Tab), a direct select (or multiple tabs with DS's) the desired palettes. Label the palettes and if so desired assign them so the focus palettes somewhat reflect the stage layout of the FP positions - I.E. FP1 as Up Right Platform, FP2 as Up Center, etc... Play around with the selections of the direct selects to get the most useful palettes on the screen, 20/50, or Expand, as example.

- Updating a single mover is as easy as "Ch., XX, Update, FP, XX, Enter".

- Build Groups of your movers, I.E. all 700's, all 1200's, all 1 Elec., all 2 Elec. etc or whatever is useful. Label them. Call them up on one of the DS tabs.
This way you are not wasting time doing repetitive channel listings.

- Build Snapshots. These are screen shots that you find useful, such as a direct select tab that is nothing but every focus palette you can fit on the screen(s) (100 ?). Another snapshot might have the color picker as a tab, Another the ML virtual control tab, another the channels and cues on 2 screens, etc.... Snapshots are a fast way to maneuver your way around a lot of useful screens.

- Update to version 2.0 and learn to use Magic Sheets. You can build up about any kind of layout that would be useful, a light plot, a mover page of groups, palettes, colors (with actual color) etc....

- If you have touch screens, all this becomes a lot easier as you save on typing. Every on screen button in a direc select or magic sheet becomes a functional button. Thus a DS Tab with Groups on the bottom, then a lot of Focus Palettes becomes a grab of all the 1E MAC 700's, Full, FP 25 (Chair DR) etc... all as a 4 button push. If no touchscreens then the mpuse can be faster for some commands.

Search the ETC Forums for info on Magic Sheets and Macro's. Lot's of people share info here.

http://www.etcconnect.com/Community/forums/default.aspx

Also the Facebook EOS programmers page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/etceosprogrammers/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back