Altman Comet "Smoking"

Les

So...

I visited my local community theatre today to drop off some donated Altman Par 64's and to check things out in general since I have a show there in a couple of months.

In addition to half of the 20-year-old Shakespeares no longer working (and laying around in various areas) due to lack of personnel for carrying out repairs, I see that one of the two Altman Comets has been replaced by a 1970's era "Little" spotlight. Then I find the missing Comet sitting in the corner.

When asked about it, theatre management said they took it out of service due to complaints of the unit smoking. The spots are used quite often so I doubt it's a sudden build-up of dust. I looked at the fixture more closely and noticed a fractured socket, which I'm suspecting was the cause. I guess I'm looking for a second opinion... Clearly the socket is bad, but I've never heard of one causing the unit to emit smoke. Worst case would be a burned up transformer or fan motor, but I guess I will replace the socket (both units since the other is probably not far behind) and go from there.

proxy.php

Ok, so I do note some dust, but I don't know how long it has been sitting like that. No scorching except to the contact that I can see.

Looks like I'll probably be going through their stock in the next few weeks to replace as many sockets as possible before my show - luckily they have agreed to buy the parts. I also will need to sort through units because at this point it is difficult to see what is set aside due to NFG or if it's simply not being used in the plot. It has been a few years since I have been in the building and things have really snowballed. They have a TD, but he only really has time to deal with the sets. Many LD's come through - some who are quite proud of their abilities, yet no one seems to know how to do something as simple as labeling faults or even putting unused instruments in a safe place. They just toss it aside and let it be someone else's problem. I also need to figure out where they've been keeping the back caps. Hopefully all in one place and all in one piece.

It's just sad to see a lighting system fall in to such disrepair.

That said, I am more than happy to help them get back up and running. I will just have to do some creative scheduling to work it in. Thankfully I can take the lamp caps home and replace sockets in my free time.

Last edited:
I would replace the socket and fire it up, hopefully not literally. Best case it that fixes the problem, worst case you can localize where the smoke is coming from, and what it smells like to help you narrow down what you need to be looking for. It also sounds like the TD needs to put some rules in place for how guest LD's do certain things in the venue. You can't always expect them to fix something that broken, but at the very least they can slap a little tape on it and what the problem was. They should also be able to put fixtures they aren't using in their proper place, and if the venue doesn't have one it should be created.

As a preventative measure, give it some good solid maintenance -- clean the dust off the lens, the body of the fixture, and out of the fan intake. Check the entire unit to see if there was something -- some gaff tape, a gel loose in the boomerang -- that might have caught more heat than it should and was the cause of the smoke.

I replaced one not too long ago. My issue was arching one the lamp leads. I took the "easy" way. You can buy the whole assembly; plate, socket and connectors. Made it easier than trying to drill out the rivets and align the socket.

I replaced one not too long ago. My issue was arching one the lamp leads. I took the "easy" way. You can buy the whole assembly; plate, socket and connectors. Made it easier than trying to drill out the rivets and align the socket.

I was going to ask about this. I saw that the entire assembly is $30 while the socket only can be as cheap as $4. At the end of the day, it is probably worth it just to buy the drop-in assembly. Then you're getting a new ejector mechanism and everything.

Under the fiberglass sheathing are two push connecters. Buying the assembly gives you everything you need except for the ties to hold the sleeve tight. Worth it to me, kept it simple and only about 20 minutes to remove and replace - if I remember right.

I'll second the vote to replace the entire assembly in the Comet. The removal/replacement is straight forward and doable in 15-20 minutes.

I would agree with the suggestion to tag defective instruments, and create a dedicated area where spares are kept. I have faced this issue many times, as it can be 6 months + between visits to one of the venues I work in.

I'll second the vote to replace the entire assembly in the Comet. The removal/replacement is straight forward and doable in 15-20 minutes.

I would agree with the suggestion to tag defective instruments, and create a dedicated area where spares are kept. I have faced this issue many times, as it can be 6 months + between visits to one of the venues I work in.

I absolutely agree with the organizational needs. Unfortunately (like you), I only seldom volunteer in the space so I don't have much jurisdiction. However, I am hoping to repair all their fixtures by this summer and I will try to create an organizational culture to pass on to the powers-to-be. I can't believe that it has actually been probably 5 years since I've worked in the venue.

I have a show there next month, so I'm definitely going to tackle some of the ellipsoidals ASAP. Hopefully I can get the parts ordered tomorrow, with more brownie points from my local dealer.

Hey Les,

Not to go too far off the original topic, but you mentioned rehabing Altman Shakespeares. I just went through that most unpleasant ordeal last month. I strongly recommend that if you are replacing the reflectors, do yourself a favor and order a few extra. When refitting the cover back on to a Shakespeare, if you don't have the reflector perfectly aligned, it is VERY easy to crack it when tightening the fixture's retaining screws.

You mighy also try the FXL lamp for the Comet. I find the output (rated at 410 watts), to be slightly better than that of an ENX.

Good luck with this project.

Reactions: Les
Teach the Comet to make better choices.

Show it pictures of diseased lungs, and so on, and so forth, and what have you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back