Control/Dimming Android app and dmx interface

Hello,
I am in the market for a dmx interface that i can control from my tablet or phone. I have both iOS and android devices.

I am looking for an interface and an app that allows me to patch something other than 1 to 1. I have been searching for a few days and have not found any answers on any of the apps if that is a function they have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And any reccomendations for interfaces would be welcome.

Luminair for iOS may allow this, the iphone and ipad versions are different, and unfortunately you have to buy each separately, it's $99 for the iphone and $129 for ipad so I haven't bought it, I may in the future though. . As for devices I have an edmx1 from from dmxking.com it's similar to the enttec ode but half the price. For software I'm currently using 2 different apps both on iOS. LightingPad lets you build a basic cue stack up to 100 cues which is nice, the downside is the patch is 1 to 1 and it can be slow building looks. The other app I use is FocusRemote, it's just like it sounds, there is a keypad that lets you turn up a channel or group of channels to any intensity you desire. It also has a memory function that will let you save looks, I haven't messed with that part of it much though. There are a ton of apps out there that are remotes for various consoles and computer software as well which I'm not that interested in. For me I use it in two ways. I either just use it as a focus remote to focus the rig and then use my pearl to run the show. (I know there is a way to use a remote with the pearl but it reqiures the titan upgrade and I can't get my employers to spend the couple of hundred dollars to do it unfortunately.) The other place I use it is for small shows that are just lights up/lights down with maybe a need to turn on a podium light during the event.

I have both versions of Luminair and the Enttec ODE. Yes, you can patch multiple DMX addresses to a single channel. I use the iPhone app for remote focus as it fits in my pocket. I use the iPad app for small gigs like weddings and small music gigs. I like being able to be free of the console and move around the space. You can busk a simple show by assigning color washes and specials to channels. It supports cues and cue stacks though i have never run an entire show like that, but I will record two complementary looks on the fly to two cue buttons and then bounce back and forth to the beat. Quite nice software.

eDMX1 - works nicely with Luminair and other apps plus we've added sACN support in firmware v2.4
One key difference between ODE and eDMX1 is the later allows LTP merging which is what you'll need for moving lights fed from 2 sources.
If you still want a computer in the mix have a look at LightFactory

Last edited:
Hello,
I am in the market for a dmx interface that i can control from my tablet or phone. I have both iOS and android devices.

I am looking for an interface and an app that allows me to patch something other than 1 to 1. I have been searching for a few days and have not found any answers on any of the apps if that is a function they have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And any reccomendations for interfaces would be welcome.

What I needed to make my set-up

- Smartphone/ android/ tablet
$ can purchase a $30 phone at Walmart to use if you want to keep cost down and /or not use your regular phone.
(The bigger the screen -the more cue/scene buttons you can put on the screen due to the fact you will see better)
-Micro to regular USB adapter $3
-USB to Midi adapter $5
-Chauvet Obey40 $119.00
- Software- Midi-Commander on Google play store / another option was Beatsqueezer.
- DMX lights $$$$$$$$

My most recent project was how to control my DMX lights with my smartphone or tablet. I found a free app called Midi commander for android on the google play store. I installed this program. This program is great. You can created many setups. This programs sends many Midi messages such as program change, CC, and more. THE BIG thing is that you can send note on messages. This is the key. You create a setup with lets say 25 buttons- I call these cue pads or scene pads. My full phone screen now has 25 buttons on it. I can go into edit mode and edit each button individually. The only editing to the button I do is telling it what Midi channel to be on, and what note to send. There you can also change the color of the button and put a name on it.
Next thing I needed was a micro usb port adapter to go to regular size usb.
Next was to purchase a USB to Midi adapter ( $5 on ebay )
The last thing I needed was a DMX controller that had a midi input to accept the note on messages to change it's scenes kind of what a midi pedal does to a midi effects pedal ( sending program change numbers).
Like I said these note on messages change the DMX controllers channels or scenes if you like.
I had to purchase an Chauvet Obey40.
I created many scenes in all banks on the Obey and the mapped out what my phone sent out using Midi-commander. This was a bit of work programming the Obey but a great learning experience. Set up my light show in the basement and played with the programming and realizing what all my lights could really do.
Midi-commanders' starting note was C-0 ( C#0,D-0, D#0, - up to B-0- then starts over at C-1, C#-1,D-1 and so on.
One problem I found was that the lowest note I can send from Midi-commander on my phone (C-0), is bank 2/ scene 5 -on the Obey controller. So I made a chart corresponding to this.
I now run the bands light show from my phone / or tablet mounted on a little tray attached to my mic stand. Totally awesome. A quick little tap now and then and I'm all set. The only drawback is I do need to run a USB cord from my phone on the mic stand to the Obey controller behind me. I use velcro strands /straps to secure the cable to my mic stand.
I never touch the obey- it sits in a rack. I just plug it in and turn it on, Pull out the already attached USB/midi dongle cable and DMX cable and plug them in. The phone does the rest.
Realize this- I f I have a midi sequencing app on my phone. I can create a sequence of notes in which the notes I write - change the Obey ( DMX ) controllers scenes.
I can also plug this setup into my computer- and not the phone. I can then use my sequencing program on my computer to play an audio track ( a real song ) and add a Midi track and write the notes of what scenes I want and when in the song I want them. Very dramatic.
You could bring a laptop or windows based tablet with sequencing software on it and send the drummer a click track to play to for a certain recorded song (that you could monitor yourself. Pan left or right?)) The show you put on will be fantastic. Being able to have the lights do anything at anytime in a song.
When I refer to "scene" I mean a static scene which could be just one light one color.

I have also used a drum pad -It sends note messages. I used an older AKAI MPD16 -small drum trigger with a real midi port on it. Just ran midi cable from MPD16 to the Obey40 with no dongle adapter. You can edit the MPD16s notes that it sends per each pad to correspond to which static scene you want.
I could fit the drum pad onthe tray I made for
my mic stand.

My next project shortly will be to get a windows based tablet or touchscreen laptop. so I can run a program like Freestyler and use a $20 dongle from Ebay to send DMX out directly from tablet through Dongle to lights. I will probable just start by using the CUE buttons in Freestyler as my scene changer. There is other DMX software that will allow you to cue lights to an audio track. Touch screens are great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back