Premium Member
Keeping the momentum going...

Tool ID 001.jpg
Tool ID 002.jpg
Tool ID 003.jpg
Tool ID 004.jpg
Tool ID 005.jpg
Tool ID 006.jpg

(Fairly certain the coin in the pictures is for size comparison only, and has nothing to do with the tool.)

I didn't state it, because I hoped it wouldn't need to be said every time, but just in case:
The intent of this forum is to be educational, directed at students. Unless specifically stated otherwise, professionals should not answer (but may kibbitz) until at least one week from the time of the original post.

Based on the last one, the wire nut wrench, I want to say this one is contraption that a freshly stripped wire inserted into and is spun by a drill prior to crimping to keep all the strands together.

looks like a tap extractor

Yessir! You win!

It's a Walton tap extractor. On of the greatest tools known to humankind.
Excellent at getting you out of one of the worst "Oh S..." circumstances possible. Without it, you are truly hosed.

See this video to learn how it works:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Walton Tap Extractor 10063 6/32 (6mm) Broken Tap Extractor - YouTube

ST

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't begin to tell you how many times I have broken a tap and needed to extract it. One time, working on a small steam driven pump, we had no choice but to drill it out. 10 bits later, we retapped to a slightly larger diameter. Normally, it is old engine blocks where I'm trying to chase out the original bolt holes - but that belongs over in the motor head forums.

Based on the last one, the wire nut wrench, I want to say this one is contraption that a freshly stripped wire inserted into and is spun by a drill prior to crimping to keep all the strands together.
You've unknowingly kicked a huge hornet's nest there, zmb. If you watch the video closely, you'll notice he states, "these are UL-Listed connectors, no pre-twisting of the wires is required." Among professional electricians, there's much controvery/debate over whether one should twist before installing nut. One of many threads on the topic (this example is >70 posts): Do you twist your solid wires together before you put them in a wirenut? - Mike Holt's Forum. .

The twist or no twist debate for wire nuts and crimp terminals is even worse than the one over wether or not a wire should be tinned before, after or if at all when used with a crimp terminal.

Personally I pre-twist some connections and don't to others. I admit that my linesman pliers get more of a workout than many other electricians, but less than some others who twist all connections. You cannot deny that my twisted connections hold better and with 100% holding. One of the conductors is NOT coming out of that wire-nut. Too many times I've had wires just pop right out and into my hand (even LIVE), hence why I tend to twist my more permanent connections.

For crimp terminals I am far less picky about having perfect twist. Depending. However when it comes to tinning I follow the CEC (Canadian Electrical Code)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back