Anyone using DANTE?

A friend of mind is a dev for Audinate. From what I have learned from him it is a fantastic protocol with very attractive features. I haven't had a chance to use virtual soundcard yet, but give me a few weeks when my iLive card comes in and I'll let you know.

Yes people are using it in the real world, Brit Row in the UK have been using it for a year or two to run delays etc. We used it to run World Youth Day.

Be aware that the DVS licence you get with the MY16 is locked to the computer you install it on and I think requires you to connect that computer to the net to activate it, not the ideal system for a dedicated show computer given the normal desire to keep them offline from the moment they emerge from their boxes...

I like it, it puts Ethersound, Cobranet etc. to shame IMHO.

I have not used it yet however I was very interested that here in the US over just the last year or so it seemed to sort of go from being an intriguing but rarely supported protocol to being supported by numerous major product manufacturers.

I think the licensing is an issue for manufacturers too. Given the potential market numbers for the products using these protocols, it is probably difficult for many manufacturers that already invested in licensing and product development for Cobranet and/or EtherSound based devices to justify introducing another protocol into their lineups.

I have not used it yet however I was very interested that here in the US over just the last year or so it seemed to sort of go from being an intriguing but rarely supported protocol to being supported by numerous major product manufacturers.

It seems to be gaining critical mass...
We've got console cards for Yamaha, (but so does 'most every other protocol) and Allen & Heath, Lab gruppen, Lake, XTA, Media Matrix and Whirlwind with news of a stage box coming from Link and a promise of something big from Bosch.

I also read with Audinate that the whole Vancouver ceremonies was distributed on Dante to PLMs supplied by Clair. "All 104 Dante enabled PLMs in the air received each audio signal through 5 paths for maximum redundancy. In total, two million watts of amplification were transmitted over standard gigabit switches." Try doing that in analog!

"All 104 Dante enabled PLMs in the air received each audio signal through 5 paths for maximum redundancy. In total, two million watts of amplification were transmitted over standard gigabit switches." Try doing that in analog!
Sounds like typical content written by a copywriter who doesn't really understand the subject, I seriously doubt that two million Watts of amplification were transferred over the switches, probably more like the signals going to two million Watts of amplification.

Sounds like typical content written by a copywriter who doesn't really understand the subject, I seriously doubt that two million Watts of amplification were transferred over the switches, probably more like the signals going to two million Watts of amplification.

Hmm yes, I can't see Clair being stupid enough to try and get 2 MW of power down fibre...

Note that the comment of do that on analog is my addition; commenting on the quintuple redundant feeds..

Either that or DANTE brings a whole new level of PoE! :eek:

Last edited:
I have been using the Dante card in one of our 01v96's for about 2 months. Using it to record to a laptop.
It works really well.
I have an unboxing post of the dante card on my blog.Dante MY16-AUD Unboxing » Stew's Thoughts from FOH

If you are not interested in the post here is a quick summary.
This sucker works Really well! The list of devices according to Audinate include

The mentioned issues of licensing are not quite accurate.

• The licence is for a single computer, but that it does allow activation 3 times to support re-installation or replacement of the computer
  • You can by additional copies of the Dante Virtual SoundCard (driver) for USD$149.
  • They we'll be offering discounted bulk license packs (pricing TBD)
  • They are going to be selling inexpensive time limited licenses if you need a copy for a show.

The Dante Virtual Soundcard(DVS) is very powerful capable of 64 channels in and out at the same time (if your computer is up to the task ). The DVS acts like ANY OTHER NODE on the network. It can send and receive from any combination of devices listed above. You could even send to multiple computers at the same time when recording a live event if you were worried about redundancy.(for the cost of the extra DVS license) Try doing that with firewire!
I have used this card connected to my laptop for recording multiple events and have never had a problem with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back