Asking for the ultimate donation

FACTplayers

I'm from a small town without a real theatre. Our school is bursting at the seams and very recently one of the members of our town offered to donate an entire high school! For some reason (unknown to me) the administrators/school board/someone turned it down. Our community theatre would like to approach this donor (we know who it is) and ask for a theatre separate from the school.

A couple things we are unsure of:
1) How to make the initial contact. Should we directly approach him/her and ask for the donation or should we invite him/her to our show and ask after? We are holding a hors d'oeuvres social gathering for owners of local businesses.

2) We would need everything. How much would land would we need and how much would a theatre cost to build? (roughly) I'm positive I can pull some strings and have some of the many contractors in the area help do work for less than the average cost.

3) Taxes and additional funding?

4) Is this feasible and a good idea? The theatre won't be used every weekend for shows. But the school band and choir will hold their concerts there (instead of being in a gym...). What other types of attractions could we bring in?

5) Anything else I am missing. I know there must be lots.

This is a big no, Soliciting for donations is not professional at all. While it would be nice to have a theater there is probably a good reason the school board turned it down. Honestly, Don't get involved.

This is a big no, Soliciting for donations is not professional at all. While it would be nice to have a theater there is probably a good reason the school board turned it down. Honestly, Don't get involved.

I respectfully disagree. It can't hurt to ask.

It was most likely turned down because trying to privately fund a public building is a HUGE ordeal and full of enormous problems. If the school was a private school then it would be a completely different story.

It was most likely turned down because trying to privately fund a public building is a HUGE ordeal and full of enormous problems. If the school was a private school then it would be a completely different story.

So that would make funding this theatre much easier and do-able then...?

Not really? Easier? Sure, but much easier, no. I agree that approaching somebody like that isn't really professional. If you had the time, invite this person to everything. I AM at a private school and that's how we do it, get them to see some stuff and get them interested and drop hints about how you need more, when you can. Then may e you can work into donations. To do a real theatre space it can be real expensive and I say do it right from the start. You could save money by building a cheaper building and then converting it to what you want, but if it's new construction it's dumb do do it wrong and adapt. Personally I wouldn't touch this with a 50 foot pole. I need money for my space because we need upgrades but this isn't how I'd approach it. There isn't a quick solution, and even I this person agreed you'd be looking at a huge undertaking as a person who probably doesn't know how to build a theatre. I've lived through a college building a new space and even with consultants I don't think the average joe ( no offense) should take this on.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

If you have a recognized and well established 501(3)(c) arts/performance organization in town perhaps talk to them to see if they would be interested in trying to get the funding to build a multiuse venue for their events as well as school and other community events? That would get around the public school issues as non-profits have their own established procedures for accepting donations (though I doubt a donation of a multimillion dollar performance venue would really be easy on the administrative side for anyone). You'd/whoever'd be a lot better off by inviting the person to events and perhaps inviting them (and others at the event) to a fund-raising event from there. It's a lot more acceptable to be seeking donations from willing attendees at a fundraiser :).

...How much would land would we need and how much would a theatre cost to build? (roughly) I'm positive I can pull some strings and have some of the many contractors in the area help do work for less than the average cost. ...
Guessing a minimum of five acres, not including parking.

I doubt one could build a fully-equipped, 300-500 seat theatre, including support spaces, for less than 10 million. The Feasibility Study alone will run (again, guessing) 50K-250K.

... I'm positive I can pull some strings and have some of the many contractors in the area help do work for less than the average cost. ...
At this level, you're not asking for a donation of a few sheets of drywall. Do you really want a contractor who has never built a theatre before? Do you have an Architect, various Engineering Firms, and Theatre Consultant lined up?

Then there's the operating costs, and management infrastructure... Start by reading a book Amazon.com: Building Type Basics for Performing Arts Facilities (9780471684381): Hugh Hardy, Stephen A. Kliment: Books or two on the subject.

Thanks for all of your input. You are bringing up concerns that I am stuck on too. The maintenance cost is a huge issue that I don't know how to address. I do agree, the best bet is to invite him/her to all of our events and go about it that way. A cold approach most likely would end in failure. On the plus side, the potential donor is not common knowledge, so it's not like everyone and their mother is asking him/her for donations.

I really wanted to know how much it would cost. I know this is a bit old, but it cost $9M in 2002. I'm not saying that $10M is that far off, but here's to hoping there is a light at the end of this seemingly pipe dream. Beverly Arts Center

Still one of the biggest questions is who maintains and runs it after the fact? who gets paid, who pays the bills. Assuming you managed to actually get it built then what? where does the insurance come from, there are all kinds of concerns. Derek mentioned a feasibility study. Just because your current set up is "bursting at the seams" doesn't automatically mean the area can support a real theatre and have it make money. This is something you really need to sit down with a consultant about to have guide through.

It sounds like if you're not using it every weekend for productions and you mentioned the school concerts happening there (would you charge them?) That MIGHT cover operating costs, but then where does the rest of the money come from? You could bring in music groups and the like, but again there's a potential staff position, who finds these people?

Talk to the mayor and members of the city council.
Is there a community theatre group?
Is there a multi-purpose community center?

Still one of the biggest questions is who maintains and runs it after the fact? who gets paid, who pays the bills.

That was one of my big concerns, too. How much does it typically cost to maintain a facility like this? I know it isn't cheap by any means. I feel like a lot of you think this idea is already set in motion. It's not. It's simply an idea and a dream. Yes, we would charge the school to hold band/choir concerts, but I doubt that will come close to paying the bills.

Talk to the mayor and members of the city council.
Is there a community theatre group?
Is there a multi-purpose community center?

We can bring it up to the city council. They might have more suggestions for us. Instead of buying our own land, we might be able to do something with the VFW park? Also, we are the community theatre. And no, there is no multi-purpose community center.

I'm guessing the school board turned it down for some fairly good reasons. Whatever they were, similar concerns are probably still there for your project. For this kind of money, non-profits usually have development staff; this is very, very complicated to administer. And construction costs have risen dramatically. Nine million in 2002 is more or less going to be closer to twenty million now.

This is a very big idea - you may be better off divorcing yourself from the school board altogether and finding people who are interested in developing a new community theatrical space. If your angel donor isn't interested in theatre or the arts already (and they don't already have a personal relationship with you or other arts supporters) then this will be a tough venture. Remember since 2002 the prices of everything from consultants to construction permits to building supplies has gone through the roof. All of your costs will vary from state to state, too, in terms of permits, operations, ordinances, etc. You should also begin researching fundraising, because you'll be knee-deep in it long before you ever break ground.

Footer may also know a bit about this but there is a very nice arts center in this area where a non-profit group creating an arts center in conjunction with another non-profit organization providing the land and funding from a private donor, with a bit of politics thrown in, became an absolute mess and eventually seems to have benefited one group at everyone else's expense including leaving some local performance groups without their expected new home home and putting them out of business. On another project I was involved in, a school performance space also received significant private funding and that became a battle of two groups with different, and often conflicting, approaches and objectives. The point is that such situations can be very tricky and there may indeed be reason why the school board passed that may or may not be relevant to other groups.

A few questions based on your comments:
  • What leads you to believe the donor would consider such a venture? Is there some past history with them or a history of supporting the arts to suggest they would be interested?
  • What is your vision for the venue? What supporting research, information, studies, etc. do you have to show the need for and viability of such a venue?
  • Have you done any research on potential property and any related utility, zoning, access and other issues?
  • What makes you believe that the school band performances or any other school or public events would occur at this venue if it is not associated with the school or city/county?
  • Who do you envision owning and operating the property and facility? Would that be your theater group, a separate entity created for that purpose, the donor or someone else?
  • What makes you believe you'll be able to get design and construction professionals to offer their services for less than normal value and is that a feasible or desired approach? This is one area where things such as awarding contracts to companies based on anything other than an unbiased and acceptable bid process can potentially lead to major problems.

In general, what can you do to make it be a matter of showing common goals and a plan to realize those goals rather than it simply coming across as asking for them to fund some general dream? That may come across a bit harsh but chances are you will have to be very harsh on yourself in assessing how your dreams and the realities of the situation can be made compatible, or at least not conflicting.

Last edited:
A few questions based on your comments:What leads you to believe the donor would consider such a venture? Is there some past history with them or a history of supporting the arts to suggest they would be interested?

The only reason the potential donor might be interested is because he/she does not want to send his/her children to the current school (hence the reason for wanting to donate a new building). Each year the school loses many students because there is not a real theatre or arts program, which is mainly due to not having the facilities. Other than speculation, there is no history suggesting this donor is even interested. The donor is the funding, but not the reason for the idea.

What is your vision for the venue? What supporting research, information, studies, etc. do you have to show the need for and viability of such a venue?

No formal research. Again, this idea is simply that: an idea. For the past 20+ years I have lived in the town there is always a problem when it comes to anything with the arts (band, choir, theatre, etc) because there is no performance space available.

Have you done any research on potential property and any related utility, zoning, access and other issues?

No. However, it is a small farm community so from past experience if the town is on board then the town board will be more willing to help. Plus, there is plenty of land in various towns around with little to no zoning restrictions. Finding the land is not the part that concerns me.

What makes you believe that the school band performances or any other school or public events would occur at this venue if it is not associated with the school or city/county?

I have talked with the band directors and the choir directors and all of them have told me they would perform at a theatre if we had one. They rent out nearby school's theatres each year for concerts, but most of the time they hold them in a field house. Trust me, there is a need.

Who do you envision owning and operating the property and facility? Would that be your theater group, a separate entity created for that purpose, the donor or someone else?

Ideally our community theatre would own and operate the facility.

What makes you believe you'll be able to get design and construction professionals to offer their services for less than normal value and is that a feasible or desired approach? This is one area where things such as awarding contracts to companies based on anything other than an unbiased and acceptable bid process can potentially lead to major problems.

Our town is filled with small contractors willing to help. I've worked with many of them before and I am currently employed with a construction management firm large enough for this task. I know that no one will be extremely below cost, that doesn't make sense, but a theatre would be much less expensive than a new school, and if I am right, the potential donor wants to make the community more well-rounded. This is speculation, of course.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I know it won't be an easy task, but this is our community theatre's goal. We don't have a time frame since we are still relatively new, but it's definitely one of our goals. I'm not the type of person to rush in to asking the donor cold without a plan, and that's why I wanted to let the community here shed some light on the idea.

Another idea to get him to potentially approach you is start the planning stages of this and hold some meetings to discuss needs. Maybe put something in the paper or try to get a story written about how you'd like to fill the need but
Don't have the funding

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Our town is filled with small contractors willing to help. I've worked with many of them before and I am currently employed with a construction management firm large enough for this task. I know that no one will be extremely below cost, that doesn't make sense, but a theatre would be much less expensive than a new school, and if I am right, the potential donor wants to make the community more well-rounded. This is speculation, of course.

Do you have any theater design consults willing to help? Non-theater people building an entertainment venue, usually doesn't end well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back